Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 10:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I losing my mind?
Am I losing my mind?
OK - this is really bugging me and I can't explain it. Any input greatly appreciated. As follows:

Some years ago I was having a discussion on another forum (not related) and the subject of the Samaritans came up.

I realized I didn't have a clue who the Samaritans actually were so I went to look them up - on Wikipedia as I recall. What I remember reading (clearly) bears no relation to what I saw yesterday after Drich made reference to them in a post on here.

This is what I remember reading:

The Samaritans were an itinerant tribe that settled in Palestine. They had a bad time of it with crop failures and so on. Their King decided this was all happening because they didn't worship the local god so he sent out emissaries who met the Jews and then established temples to God. This was in addition to their existing Gods / temples.

Presumably this worked.

I particularly remember the end of the story which read (as I recall) that there are no Samaritans anymore. They are believed to have inter-bred with the Jewish population eventually and died out as a belief.

The reason this struck me and stuck in my memory is that I had never heard of any story of a group assimilating INTO the Jewish population.

Anyway - yesterday, after Drich's mention I went to look them up again and the version I now find on Wikipedia is completely different from the above story - entirely backing Drich's version.

So, am I losing my mind?
Could I have accidentally looked up the wrong tribe? (if so who?)
Could the Wikipedia entry have changed that dramatically?
Have I stumbled across a change in History that somehow didn't make it into my brain?

WTF?????
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
RE: Am I losing my mind?
There are still a few Samaritans around.

http://www.deliriumsrealm.com/modern-samaritans/

They are Torah bible literalists, the jewish equivalent of Drich, which was why other jews shunned them. Fundies have always been annoying.

http://www.dangoor.com/70029.html

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Wikipedia entries can and do come under the influence of partisan groups and authors. The pages on smoking cessation, for example, are heavily biased towards the "cold turkey only" camp.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(October 19, 2013 at 3:21 am)max-greece Wrote: OK - this is really bugging me and I can't explain it. Any input greatly appreciated. As follows:

Some years ago I was having a discussion on another forum (not related) and the subject of the Samaritans came up.

I realized I didn't have a clue who the Samaritans actually were so I went to look them up - on Wikipedia as I recall. What I remember reading (clearly) bears no relation to what I saw yesterday after Drich made reference to them in a post on here.
Samaritans were a Jewish sect of sorts that were hated and despised by the Palestinian Jews. They had their own version of the Pentateuch, the Samaritan Pentateuch which still exists in its entirety today. They refused to accept the Writings or the Prophets as scripture, and at some point in antiquity they had introduced a handful of changes to their version of the Pentateuch (partly why the Palestinian Jews hated them so). They Samaritans were residents of Palestine (as a minority).

Just a note that besides the obvious changes made by the Samaritans, the text is overwhelmingly identical to what is found in the Masoretic Text, and the consensus among scholars is that the SP represents a completely separate textual tradition from antiquity c. 1000 BC or so. It is used as an example to show that the ancient Hebrew scriptures were never deliberately altered, as is often the claim made by atheists.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
Most Samaritans converted to Islam during the Moslem occupation of Palestine if I recall correctly. A few families still exist as Samaritans and I believe they view the Bible as false since it was written in a foreign land whereas the Samaritan Bible was written by those who were not taken into captivity.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Upon reading this title, what first comes to mind? Foxaèr 8 356 November 25, 2020 at 10:03 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Inquiring mind seeks guidance from the governing powers. no one 17 966 December 17, 2019 at 11:15 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Life is worth losing... carlinsback 10 1055 August 6, 2019 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Never Mind Definitely Disillusioned 18 2636 July 3, 2017 at 7:05 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Getting into the mind of a psychopath robvalue 56 6168 October 24, 2016 at 1:14 am
Last Post: robvalue
  What's on your mind? Excited Penguin 132 7101 October 11, 2016 at 2:15 pm
Last Post: c172
  What is the first thing that comes to your mind if you see this dyresand 44 8700 August 20, 2016 at 7:19 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue
  The Ask Questions In Your Mind Answer Them Out Loud Game Edwardo Piet 30 2192 April 26, 2016 at 6:55 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  I almost got into an accident and it's been on my mind all day... Veritas 18 2515 March 27, 2016 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  "The future's 10 Mind-blowing technologies about to emerge" MJ the Skeptical 15 4570 August 30, 2014 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus