Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 2:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
California church leaders 'used homeless as forced labour'

The leaders of a California based-church have been accused of imprisoning homeless people, forcing them to beg all day and taking the money.
Dozens of victims had their papers taken, their welfare benefits stolen and were punished if they spoke of "things of the world", officials say.
Imperial Valley Ministries (IVM) operates about 30 affiliate church groups in the US and Mexico.
A dozen of the group's leaders were arrested on Tuesday.
The former pastor of Imperial Valley Ministries, Victor Gonzalez, was detained in San Diego.
Eleven others were held in El Centro, California, and Brownsville, Texas.
The defendants are facing charges of conspiracy, forced labour, document servitude and benefits fraud.

The church, which represents its pastors as "missionaries to drug addicts", lured victims by promising them food and shelter and opportunities to get back on their feet at "no cost", federal officials say.
Victims were allegedly locked in group homes, and forced to beg for nine hours a day, six days a week.
According to prosecutors, victims were told "the only thing to be read is the holy bible" and "if any of the rules are broken there will be discipline".
Punishments included the withholding of food, and if they asked to leave they were told their children would be taken away, it is alleged.
Church leaders refused to allow a diabetic victim with low blood sugar to obtain medicine, said officials. She was able to escape.
They were also banned from using the telephone, and told to avoid their family because "only God" loved them now, said officials.
If they did manage to leave, church leaders continued to withhold their money, along with important documents such as immigration paperwork and food benefit cards.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49667769

They are doing God's work!!
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

RE: California church leaders 'used homeless as forced labour'
Lovely, god-fearing people.
But you need the bible to be a moral person! Where else would true morality come from?
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Magic wish granting sky daddies are fueled by the perversion to brutalize society's less than desirables.
(September 12, 2019 at 8:50 am)Chad32 Wrote: But you need the bible to be a moral person! Where else would true morality come from?

Oh, I don't know. Maybe a book with less misogyny, sexism, homophobia, xenophobia, ...
I wonder if Christianity would be so successful if it was force of good as it is successful now being the force of evil?
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
'Imperial Valley Ministries'.  Kind of a dead giveaway.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(September 12, 2019 at 12:38 pm)Fake Messiah Wrote: I wonder if Christianity would be so successful if it was force of good as it is successful now being the force of evil?

Honestly, if it was just a peace cult that kept everything private, it probably would have faded into obscurity eventually. If someone hadn't convinced an emperor to make it a state religion, they would have been swallowed up.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Church sex abuse: Thousands of paedophiles in French Church zebo-the-fat 8 1201 October 7, 2021 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  While Judaism may have had forced marriage war booties, i think it reasons is for it Rakie 17 3906 August 2, 2017 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Church of England vs Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints vorlon13 13 4122 April 3, 2017 at 1:48 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  church forced town to move public transport atheist04330 10 2180 August 1, 2014 at 1:47 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Is Pope Francis sneaking out to help Rome's homeless? Ryantology 11 2756 December 5, 2013 at 1:30 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Church update:children's church k2490 15 10430 June 26, 2013 at 7:59 am
Last Post: Rahul
  When I was a Christian they used this argument to explain why miracles don't happen like they used to: Ziploc Surprise 9 4649 December 18, 2012 at 12:43 am
Last Post: Ziploc Surprise
  News: Church archives ground zero in search for evidence of forced adoptions icantstandfundies 0 1515 April 23, 2012 at 9:38 pm
Last Post: icantstandfundies
  I used to have a neutral stance with religion. gale 39 12240 January 4, 2012 at 1:53 am
Last Post: Voltair
  California is being taken over Znedrow4 19 4022 October 2, 2010 at 5:00 am
Last Post: IceSage