Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 2:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Door knocking
Question 
Door knocking
Why do Jehovah's Witnesses do what they do when they must know that doing what they do has a breathtakingly remote chance of achieving what they have set out to achieve and yet knowing this they still persist in doing what they do?

Is it simply to 'tick a box' in their belief that they are required to convert as many people as possible and if so are they not just insincerely going through the motions instead of trying a variety of other, potentially more successful techniques to achieve what they have set out to achieve?

After all, if you were charged by the creator of reality itself to go forth and convert and it turned out your success rate was about 0.00001% you might think that The Almighty might get a bit miffed if you just carried on doing the same thing, year in, year out, decade in, decade out, with a bit of a rethink.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
RE: Door knocking
They're gaining Heaven Points® for themselves.
They are following the dictates of the Bible. Go forth and spread the word. Simple as
(September 15, 2019 at 5:03 pm)Darwinian Wrote: Why do Jehovah's Witnesses do what they do when they must know that doing what they do has a breathtakingly remote chance of achieving what they have set out to achieve and yet knowing this they still persist in doing what they do?

Is it simply to 'tick a box' in their belief that they are required to convert as many people as possible and if so are they not just insincerely going through the motions instead of trying a variety of other, potentially more successful techniques to achieve what they have set out to achieve?

After all, if you were charged by the creator of reality itself to go forth and convert and it turned out your success rate was about 0.00001% you might think that The Almighty might get a bit miffed if you just carried on doing the same thing, year in, year out, decade in, decade out, with a bit of a rethink.

They aren't doing it for us. 

What they are doing is going bravely into the world of unbelievers, the others, then going back and sharing their trial with the group that supports them. 
It reinforces that only their group understands them and that is where they belong.
Outside are the damned who will shun you, so best be with the church where they'll look after you.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

I had a pair of Druids come to my door once.  Lovely people, stopped by to invite me to some seasonal ritual of theirs.  I didn't go, but read about it the next day.  Sounded like fun.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(September 15, 2019 at 5:03 pm)Darwinian Wrote: Why do Jehovah's Witnesses do what they do when they must know that doing what they do has a breathtakingly remote chance of achieving what they have set out to achieve and yet knowing this they still persist in doing what they do?
Easy. They believe that their shining god will make converts. Because it is so obvious what god is and wants and does. To them. Thus when it is not obvious to others, those must be enslaved by satan. It is self reinforcing.

(September 15, 2019 at 5:03 pm)Darwinian Wrote: Is it simply to 'tick a box' in their belief that they are required to convert as many people as possible and if so are they not just insincerely going through the motions instead of trying a variety of other, potentially more successful techniques to achieve what they have set out to achieve?
Yes and no. Yes, they have to tick the boxes, but No they genuinely mean it.

(September 15, 2019 at 5:03 pm)Darwinian Wrote: After all, if you were charged by the creator of reality itself to go forth and convert and it turned out your success rate was about 0.00001% you might think that The Almighty might get a bit miffed if you just carried on doing the same thing, year in, year out, decade in, decade out, with a bit of a rethink.
JW's are the masters of the "re-think". Just look how many apocalypse dates got swept under the rug.

Whenever they call to my door, I generally dismiss them, but occasionally I engage them. If I have time. They become troubled when I can cite chapter and verse at them to argue against them.
(September 16, 2019 at 6:05 pm)Abaddon_ire Wrote:
Easy. They believe that their shining god will make converts. Because it is so obvious what god is and wants and does. To them. Thus when it is not obvious to others, those must be enslaved by satan. It is self reinforcing.

(September 15, 2019 at 5:03 pm)Darwinian Wrote: Is it simply to 'tick a box' in their belief that they are required to convert as many people as possible and if so are they not just insincerely going through the motions instead of trying a variety of other, potentially more successful techniques to achieve what they have set out to achieve?
Yes and no. Yes, they have to tick the boxes, but No they genuinely mean it.

(September 15, 2019 at 5:03 pm)Darwinian Wrote: After all, if you were charged by the creator of reality itself to go forth and convert and it turned out your success rate was about 0.00001% you might think that The Almighty might get a bit miffed if you just carried on doing the same thing, year in, year out, decade in, decade out, with a bit of a rethink.
JW's are the masters of the "re-think". Just look how many apocalypse dates got swept under the rug.

Whenever they call to my door, I generally dismiss them, but occasionally I engage them. If I have time. They become troubled when I can cite chapter and verse at them to argue against them.

Pin 'em down to details!
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

If they don't, they can get the boot.  Getting booted from that cult blows.  They all know this.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(September 16, 2019 at 3:04 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I had a pair of Druids come to my door once.  Lovely people, stopped by to invite me to some seasonal ritual of theirs.  I didn't go, but read about it the next day.  Sounded like fun.

Boru

See, if I could get druids coming around and they guaranteed an occasional human sacrifice, I’d probably go.

NZ/Oz need a good supply of bog bodies..
Dying to live, living to die.
What I really hate about the JWs is when they force their fucknuttery beliefs about medicine on your children. Fine, if you would rather die than take a blood transfusion, go right ahead, you're doing the world a favour. But if you force that choice on a five year old child, you're just being an evil piece of shit.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Every f-ing year JWs knock on my door. Brian37 62 5485 July 10, 2019 at 11:51 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  door to door recruitment.. atheist04330 90 11087 August 7, 2014 at 10:26 am
Last Post: Dystopia
  Two Mormons knocked on my door today vodkafan 10 2832 June 2, 2014 at 7:22 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Door to door religion yoshirama 43 7960 January 31, 2014 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  How do you make the door to door religious people go away? TaraJo 43 22330 September 15, 2012 at 6:37 am
Last Post: Norfolk And Chance
  Increased door-knocking... Ace Otana 33 7480 April 22, 2011 at 9:23 am
Last Post: Thor
  christians at the door? lilphil1989 5 2145 February 13, 2009 at 2:13 am
Last Post: funnyguy