Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 3:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
London police to roll out facial recognition CCTV
London police to roll out facial recognition CCTV
Quote:The Metropolitan Police has announced it will use live facial recognition cameras operationally for the first time on London streets.

The cameras will be in use for five to six hours at a time, with bespoke lists of suspects wanted for serious and violent crimes drawn up each time.

Police say the cameras identified 70% of suspects but an independent review found much lower accuracy.

Privacy campaigners said it was a "serious threat to civil liberties".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51237665

I've got no problem with this I don't think. It's just automating one aspect of police officers' jobs (recognising wanted criminals) but in a far more efficient and cost-effective way. Would the Statue of Liberty weep if this were rolled out in the states?
RE: London police to roll out facial recognition CCTV
Until they make masks illegal it's just another tool for the Law.
Yeah I was just thinking along those lines - Niqab wearing criminals would also presumably have nothing to fear from this.
(January 24, 2020 at 1:53 pm)Editz Wrote: Yeah I was just thinking along those lines - Niqab wearing criminals would also presumably have nothing to fear from this.

How do we know that's a woman under there?
Shoulder width  Hmph Think
A little surprised they haven't done it before.
Essentially it's the same as ANPR though faces might have more similarities.
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.
Fuck that, authoritarianism bad, thanks for coming to my TED talk.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
I’ve really got no serious objection to it, other than facial recognition tech isn’t foolproof.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(January 24, 2020 at 2:38 pm)Aegon Wrote: Fuck that, authoritarianism bad, thanks for coming to my TED talk.

Okay, we go with chaos. No fuckin' middle ground for us!
My identical twin need to go into hiding.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Palestinian Man’s Lawyers Say Israeli Police Marked Him With Star of David WinterHold 8 662 August 23, 2023 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Vampire facial brewer 14 1937 February 13, 2023 at 8:03 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Defunding Police not working out. onlinebiker 51 2596 October 1, 2021 at 11:12 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Columbus Police Shooting onlinebiker 43 2773 April 25, 2021 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Where are you on the vaccine roll-out schedule and... Gawdzilla Sama 17 750 February 24, 2021 at 2:29 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Please Justify This Police Action For Me BrianSoddingBoru4 251 18239 February 5, 2021 at 10:00 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  I didn’t do it out of hate. ... I did it out of love. brewer 2 469 January 10, 2021 at 10:30 am
Last Post: Divinity
  UK Police officer gets stuck in handcuffs in training zebo-the-fat 10 982 August 19, 2020 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Seattle Chief of Police resigns Due Budget Cuts onlinebiker 68 3326 August 13, 2020 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  US police brutality item Duty 351 27046 July 10, 2020 at 7:50 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate