Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 2:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is "Phenomenon" Scientology propaganda?
Is "Phenomenon" Scientology propaganda?
I remember this rather disappointing and rather boring movie from the 90s with John Travolta called "Phenomenon". It's about a regular guy from rural America who gets in touch with alien force and becomes very smart, but then nothing really happens and he dies. And like I said, the movie was very disappointing because when the first part of the movie was unfolding I was rather excited to see where it would go, but it went nowhere.

But lately I see on internet that lots of people consider it Scientology propaganda (like reviews on IMDb) because Travolta's character at one point says "Everything has become clear now" and because apparently Scientologists love that word "clear" the whole movie is their propaganda.

But to me it seems it's all just Christian paranoia.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
RE: Is "Phenomenon" Scientology propaganda?
(April 6, 2020 at 1:55 pm)Fake Messiah Wrote: I remember this rather disappointing and rather boring movie from the 90s with John Travolta called "Phenomenon". It's about a regular guy from rural America who gets in touch with alien force and becomes very smart, but then nothing really happens and he dies. And like I said, the movie was very disappointing because when the first part of the movie was unfolding I was rather excited to see where it would go, but it went nowhere.

But lately I see on internet that lots of people consider it Scientology propaganda (like reviews  on IMDb) because Travolta's character at one point says "Everything has become clear now" and because apparently Scientologists love that word "clear" the whole movie is their propaganda.

But to me it seems it's all just Christian paranoia.

If these people didn’t know Travolta was a Scientologist, would they think the film was propaganda?

It seems that the use of the word ‘clear’ is a pretty thin thread to hang this on.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Scientology, the religion for the rich. Someone had to came up with that idea eventually. Still bonkers. If there are space dwelling species out there, they should be laughing (assuming sense of humour),out there for these monkeys that we collectively are, because we can't even get our own planet in order. Exempli gratia: toilet paper to fight a pneumonic.
Travolta didn't write the movie.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Here's another accusation and this time by a catholic priest. And as it is typical of catholic priests criticizing some movie, he has not seen it himself, he doesn't know the name of the movie, nor can he accurately describe it, and he falsely claims how Travolta is constantly repeating that, by now, satanic word "clear"

He starts talking about the movie after 8:39 mark

So he probably just heard some rumors about it in Christian circles which was enough for him to be an expert in it, at least for other Catholics.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
Haven’t seen the movie (and since it’s not on Netflix and is only available on Hulu with a Showtime add-on, which I don’t have, I’m guessing a month minimum before I can actually see for myself).

I did, however, look it up, primarily on Tvtropes, and one point that stuck with me. One of the tropes listed is Rousseau Was Right. The commentary: 

Quote:The vast majority of people who oppose George are scared, or only following orders. The former seem to come around by the end, and at least one of the latter subtly helps him by redirecting the search for him after he's escaped.

The thing I find difficult to reconcile with the Scientology Propaganda angle is that, unlike the film, the Co$ works under the assumption that anyone who criticizes their Organisation is acting on bad faith. A few years before the film’s creation, David Miscaviage said, on national television: “We do not find critics of Scientology who do not have criminal pasts,”

This has been the default line for the Co$ since L. Ron Hubbard was still active:

Quote:Now get this as a technical fact, not a hopeful idea. Every time we have investigated the background of a critic of Scientology we have found crimes for which that person or group could be imprisoned under existing law. We do not find critics of Scientology who do not have criminal pasts. Over and over we prove this.

Another thing to point out: apparently, the source of Travolta’s character’s power turns out to be a malignant brain tumor. While I might consider this a valid metaphor for what being involved with the Co$ For an extended period of time does to a person, there’s no way in Hell a piece of pro-Scientology propaganda would claim that.

Also, around this time, Travolta was pushing for an actual Scientology propaganda film: Battlefield Earth.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
The priest is clearly an R6 implant.
I converted after the first viewing. It was clearly very good propaganda. 

And I wasn't doing anything for the next billion years anyway.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Is that you, Tom Cruise?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Scientology Channel launches tonite, DirecTV 320 vorlon13 21 4585 March 13, 2018 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Leah Remini Scientology Special & New Show Shell B 74 11193 April 7, 2017 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Does Scientology deserve more scrutiny than other religions? Casca 56 8517 October 31, 2016 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: Casca
  Louis Therous - My Scientology Movie Cyberman 7 1939 October 10, 2016 at 10:52 am
Last Post: racingboo
  Scientology defended .. are you kidding me? Whateverist 24 9175 May 8, 2014 at 4:00 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  The church of scientology called me Erinome 12 7123 June 17, 2012 at 10:41 am
Last Post: Cato
  Woman imprisoned on Scientology cruise ship for 12 years Doubting Thomas 11 4197 December 1, 2011 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  Scientology DeistPaladin 24 11468 August 7, 2010 at 12:01 am
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Church of Scientology Amphora 16 8659 November 20, 2009 at 9:10 am
Last Post: Pope Alfred