Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 1:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Statue of Lee to be removed from Va capital.
Statue of Lee to be removed from Va capital.
I am not for erasing any part of human history good or bad. But there is a huge difference between a monument of honor vs merely reporting, like a history book or museum. I am glad Richmond Va has finally decided to remove General Lee's Statue from public property. He belongs in a museum or history  book of what not to do to your fellow human being.

RE: Statue of Lee to be removed from Va capital.
Statues honoring people who fought to maintain slavery should not stand in public parks ,And no no one needs a statue to remember the civil war,And the soldiers could be honored without glorifying Lee or the Confederacy .
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

Bobby Lee is among the great generals. I put him with Vo Nguyen Giap and Erwin Rommel. Brilliant when outnumbered and outgunned. But he put "Virginia" ahead of "America" and proved he was short-sighted in at least one regard. He should stand as an object lesson.
Not to minimize the issue, but taking slavery out of the picture, there’s another reason that statues of Lee and other Confederates should not be on public property.

Once the southern states declared themselves in rebellion, they became a foreign country - their own laws, currency, political system and so forth. And they waged war on the United States. Why should they be honoured? How many statues of Hitler do you find along the streets of Warsaw? Or memorials to Mussolini in Addis Ababa? Statues of Stalin in Helsinki are by conspicuous their absence.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(June 6, 2020 at 1:47 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Bobby Lee is among the great generals. I put him with Vo Nguyen Giap and Erwin Rommel. Brilliant when outnumbered and outgunned. But he put "Virginia" ahead of "America" and proved he was short-sighted in at least one regard. He should stand as an object lesson.
History books more then chronicle his folly
"Change was inevitable"

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

(June 6, 2020 at 1:34 pm)SUNGULA Wrote: Statues honoring people who fought to maintain slavery should not stand in public parks ,And no no one needs a statue to remember the civil war,And the soldiers could be honored without glorifying Lee or the Confederacy .

Um no. There is no good way to honor Lee or the soldiers who fought for the South. Just like there is no good way to "honor" any soldier who served under WW2 Germany. Saying "statues of Hitler " should not be honored still would not change that no soldier who fought under him should be honored. High level or low level private, Civil War South Or Nazi Germany, there is no way to "honor" the wrong side of history, no matter the rank.

The only place the Civil War South and Nazi Germany can be remembered is in history books  or museums of what not to do to your fellow human being. You cant separate the famous from those who supported the famous who fought for the wrong side of history.
(June 6, 2020 at 1:57 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(June 6, 2020 at 1:34 pm)SUNGULA Wrote: Statues honoring people who fought to maintain slavery should not stand in public parks ,And no no one needs a statue to remember the civil war,And the soldiers could be honored without glorifying Lee or the Confederacy .

Um no. There is no good way to honor Lee or the soldiers who fought for the South. Just like there is no good way to "honor" any soldier who served under WW2 Germany. Saying "statues of Hitler " should not be honored still would not change that no soldier who fought under him should be honored. High level or low level private, Civil War South Or Nazi Germany, there is no way to "honor" the wrong side of history, no matter the rank.

The only place the Civil War South and Nazi Germany can be remembered is in history books  or museums of what not to do to your fellow human being. You cant separate the famous from those who supported the famous who fought for the wrong side of history.
I was just saying if anyone was going to use that defense that would be my counter .
"Change was inevitable"

–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

(June 6, 2020 at 1:55 pm)SUNGULA Wrote:
(June 6, 2020 at 1:47 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Bobby Lee is among the great generals. I put him with Vo Nguyen Giap and Erwin Rommel. Brilliant when outnumbered and outgunned. But he put "Virginia" ahead of "America" and proved he was short-sighted in at least one regard. He should stand as an object lesson.
History books more then chronicle his folly

Didn't say otherwise. But if you mean that's why it's no big deal removing his statue, then I agree.

Not contradicting what you are saying, merely adding to it. 

Rommel was a "great tactician" is like saying Ted Bundy was a "great serial killer." One can also value the power of the 79 ACE eruption in Pompeii, and at the same time wish it had never had happened. Vesuvius had an excuse, it was not human. Rommel didn't have an excuse.
(June 6, 2020 at 1:48 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Not to minimize the issue, but taking slavery out of the picture, there’s another reason that statues of Lee and other Confederates should not be on public property.

Once the southern states declared themselves in rebellion, they became a foreign country - their own laws, currency, political system and so forth. And they waged war on the United States. Why should they be honoured? How many statues of Hitler do you find along the streets of Warsaw? Or memorials to Mussolini in Addis Ababa? Statues of Stalin in Helsinki are conspicuous their absence.

Boru
Every service member in the US swears an oath to defend the US Constitution from all enemies, foreign or domestic. (Which invoked mental images of waves of hotties wearing French maid outfits when I was younger.)

(June 6, 2020 at 2:06 pm)Brian37 Wrote:

Not contradicting what you are saying, merely adding to it. 

Rommel was a "great tactician" is like saying Ted Bundy was a "great serial killer." One can also value the power of the 79 ACE eruption in Pompeii, and at the same time wish it had never had happened. Vesuvius had an excuse, it was not human. Rommel didn't have an excuse.
Anybody can learn tactics from a great tactician. This is separate from that person's politics. J.E.B. Stuart is still quoted at Annapolis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Protestors Storm Capital onlinebiker 586 26989 February 1, 2021 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Big Lee Removed from US Capital Brian37 6 806 December 21, 2020 at 9:10 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  White supremacists protecting Churchill statue get 'that work' in UK Huggy Bear 50 3301 June 16, 2020 at 12:42 pm
  Easter Island Statue Destroyed BrianSoddingBoru4 5 568 March 6, 2020 at 10:43 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  RIP Stan Lee Foxaèr 1 370 November 13, 2018 at 3:14 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  R Lee Ermey Dead At 74 A Theist 16 3333 April 16, 2018 at 4:30 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Google removed the image viewing feature WinterHold 42 2256 February 19, 2018 at 6:43 pm
Last Post: Aoi Magi
  President Moron on Israel's capital Brian37 36 3132 December 22, 2017 at 10:35 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Breaking:Saudi Arabia: a second Missile hits the capital WinterHold 8 2132 December 20, 2017 at 4:57 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Breaking:Saudi Arabia: Missile 'intercepted near Riyadh, Capital of the Kingdom' WinterHold 10 1684 November 4, 2017 at 11:31 pm