Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 8:49 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Single motherhood least tolerated by Americans.
Single motherhood least tolerated by Americans.
NPR 'Blog of the Nation Wrote:Single Moms: 'Bad For Society'
New data from the Pew Research Center shows that of all new trends in family structures, Americans are least tolerant toward single mothers — women raising children without a male partner. Neal Conan talks with Rich Morin, the senior editor at Pew, about what the survey shows, and with single mom and journalist Mary Pols about attitudes toward single mothers.

If ya wish you can Listen to it here.

Are they? Is single motherhood 'not good' for society? Are children, and society in general, better served by two parent households?

Do children, and especially boys, need a male figure as a parent?

I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
RE: Single motherhood least tolerated by Americans.
I dont think it causes any harm, but I would not know. I had a mother and a father the entire time I was growing up.
(February 24, 2011 at 11:41 pm)Dotard Wrote:
NPR 'Blog of the Nation Wrote:Single Moms: 'Bad For Society'
New data from the Pew Research Center shows that of all new trends in family structures, Americans are least tolerant toward single mothers — women raising children without a male partner. Neal Conan talks with Rich Morin, the senior editor at Pew, about what the survey shows, and with single mom and journalist Mary Pols about attitudes toward single mothers.

If ya wish you can Listen to it here.

Are they? Is single motherhood 'not good' for society? Are children, and society in general, better served by two parent households?

Do children, and especially boys, need a male figure as a parent?

Children need both good adult male and female role models growing up, however it does not need to be their parents. In some societies maternal uncles and grandfathers were the male role models for children.
undefined
Once upon a time, interracial couples were "bad for society." Before, it was the asians. Before that, it was the Irish.

Point being, past academic conjectures regarding the efficacy of familial figures in a child's development, the "bad for society" view depends on the same turnips who rail against government while indulging in medicare, support tax cuts for the top 10% and believe that teaching children to believe in a God is not only required, but is worth corrupting their children.
(February 25, 2011 at 1:04 am)Moros Synackaon Wrote: Once upon a time, interracial couples were "bad for society." Before, it was the asians. Before that, it was the Irish.

Point being, past academic conjectures regarding the efficacy of familial figures in a child's development, the "bad for society" view depends on the same turnips who rail against government while indulging in medicare, support tax cuts for the top 10% and believe that teaching children to believe in a God is not only required, but is worth corrupting their children.

I am thinking that is how wBC is funding it's organisation.....

Having said that, I was a single mum for 20 odd years and maintained strong connection with the childrens father and family during that time. I was lucky that the welfare was enough to be a 'stay at home mum' as one child had Asperger's Syndrome and required alot of therapy in those years.

Yes a male "father figue is very important" and one does not (generally speaking) wake up one morning and decide to BECOME a single parent. Like I said i was lucky.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Quote:Do children, and especially boys, need a male figure as a parent?

Yes, but. The 'but' being that in far too many cases the reason the single mom is "single" is because the male figure turned out to be a scumbag who abandoned her.

Infants are probably better off without such role models.
[Image: a330_bm1.gif]
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
(February 25, 2011 at 2:44 am)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Do children, and especially boys, need a male figure as a parent?

Yes, but. The 'but' being that in far too many cases the reason the single mom is "single" is because the male figure turned out to be a scumbag who abandoned her.

Really? I would disagree and say in far too many cases, (is there an acceptable number of cases? or not enough? what is 'far too many') it is because the woman who ran him off or abandoned the relationship.

Since you willy-nilly decided 'in far too many cases' it is the mans fault the mother is single, I figured I'd willy-nilly place the blame on the woman.
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
Point taken...but the woman always seems to end up with the kid.
My father left when I was three. Never seen him or heard from him since. I was raised by my mother who as a nurse worked nights, so would often go to my nans house, where my grand father lived but had very little input into my care as he was pretty sick. I also went to my Aunties house, where my uncle lived but again, had very little input as he would work. I was effectively raised by three women of different generations, with very little male input. I guess my point here is, personally I don't think it matters if you're left with one parent or two, male or female, it's the wider family as much as your main parent/parents that effect how you turn out. However, I'm far from a great success story as I'm not exactly the most accomplished 22 year old in the world but at the same time, I'd consider myself fairly intelligent and a decent person. I don't commit crime (any with a victim anyway haha) and have never been in trouble with the law. So, I don't see why, with support from a wider family at least a child raised by a single mother would turn out any different as a result of it's upbringing than a child with two parents.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lucky-Assed Americans: What Will You Do with Your $1200? Rhondazvous 22 2758 May 2, 2020 at 6:03 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Why do I keep having this same dream or at least a variation of it GODZILLA 13 1684 February 18, 2019 at 2:29 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  How Americans view the British Cod 81 6306 December 26, 2018 at 10:40 am
Last Post: Fireball
  I haven't opened a single 'proof' thread. :( CapnAwesome 11 868 September 6, 2018 at 7:55 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  What sucks about being single. Brian37 7 1647 March 9, 2018 at 10:10 am
Last Post: No_God
  What would you do if you could remember every single moment in your life? c172 11 2467 October 13, 2017 at 5:46 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  What's your most favorite thing about being Single/Married? ErGingerbreadMandude 91 11451 January 31, 2017 at 3:29 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Question to all Americans: why do you refer to vehicles and ships as "she"? rado84 38 5740 July 15, 2015 at 12:15 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Single after 1 year and 4 months :S Edwardo Piet 18 3246 July 9, 2015 at 9:28 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
Question Dear Americans: What's the leading cause of death among the young? Aractus 71 10706 November 20, 2014 at 9:24 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger