Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 8:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting statistics about academic philosophy
Interesting statistics about academic philosophy
My former philosophy professor sent me an interesting survey from '09 about what philosophers at the university level believe on a variety of topics. To summarize, I'll just quote the text from his email:
Quote:However, if the much-talked-about survey of philosophers done in '09 is to be believed, almost 15% of the most reputable philosophers consider themselves theists. This certainly surprised me when I saw it at the time. Further, it seems the further back you go, education-wise, the more theists there are (undergrad phil majors are over 20% theist). Now, that could mean a few things, and hopefully it means that the more educated one is, the less likely it is that one is a theist. However, it could also mean that the next generation of professional philosophers will be more theistic...

By the way, that survey, if you're unfamiliar with it, has some other interesting results. The higher one goes, education-wise, the more likely it is that one:

is a Platonist about abstract objects
subscribes to compatibilism
accepts that a priori knowledge is possible
accepts the analytic/synthetic distinction
is a non-skeptical realist about the external world
is a moral realist
is a physicalist about the mind
is a scientific realist
subscribes to the correspondence theory of truth
You can check out the poll results yourself here: 
http://philpapers.org/surveys/results.pl...ain=coarse

I was particularly surprised about the popularity of Platonism, and worried about the possible rise of theism in our upcoming generation of philosophers.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
RE: Interesting statistics about academic philosophy
Do you have a link for a chart comparing the current survey results with results in the past?

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
I'm thinking that a lot of theists would be drawn to philosophy as a career due to it's elastic nature, more easy to corrupt then science based subjects.
Just a hunch.
Most philosophers, and most philosophy students, are atheists. That is the opposite of the general population in the U.S.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
(September 11, 2015 at 4:34 pm)Little lunch Wrote: I'm thinking that a lot of theists would be drawn to philosophy as a career due to it's elastic nature, more easy to corrupt then science based subjects.
Just a hunch.

Philosophy is about asking why. The exact opposite of what theists are drawn to.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(September 11, 2015 at 5:23 pm)Faith No More Wrote:
(September 11, 2015 at 4:34 pm)Little lunch Wrote: I'm thinking that a lot of theists would be drawn to philosophy as a career due to it's elastic nature, more easy to corrupt then science based subjects.
Just a hunch.

Philosophy is about asking why.  The exact opposite of what theists are drawn to.

It can be. It can also be about obtuse ways of justifying your views. Probably the appeal to theists.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(September 11, 2015 at 4:26 pm)Pyrrho Wrote: Do you have a link for a chart comparing the current survey results with results in the past?
I do not.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
(September 11, 2015 at 2:15 pm)Nestor Wrote: My former philosophy professor sent me an interesting survey from '09 about what philosophers at the university level believe on a variety of topics. To summarize, I'll just quote the text from his email:
Quote:However, if the much-talked-about survey of philosophers done in '09 is to be believed, almost 15% of the most reputable philosophers consider themselves theists. This certainly surprised me when I saw it at the time. Further, it seems the further back you go, education-wise, the more theists there are (undergrad phil majors are over 20% theist). Now, that could mean a few things, and hopefully it means that the more educated one is, the less likely it is that one is a theist. However, it could also mean that the next generation of professional philosophers will be more theistic...

By the way, that survey, if you're unfamiliar with it, has some other interesting results. The higher one goes, education-wise, the more likely it is that one:

is a Platonist about abstract objects
subscribes to compatibilism
accepts that a priori knowledge is possible
accepts the analytic/synthetic distinction
is a non-skeptical realist about the external world
is a moral realist
is a physicalist about the mind
is a scientific realist
subscribes to the correspondence theory of truth
You can check out the poll results yourself here: 
http://philpapers.org/surveys/results.pl...ain=coarse

I was particularly surprised about the popularity of Platonism, and worried about the possible rise of theism in our upcoming generation of philosophers.

I don't know, man, I'd read between the lines a little, because I see in her the mark of the establishment.  The truth is that to more easily gain access toward higher positions, you are going to have to agree with your seniors and to tow the party line as it were.  Unless you are capable as an undergrad of writing a paper so startlingly unique that it gains a lot of notice, you are stuck sucking your way up to the top like everyone else.  The elders of philosophy have clearly sided with compatibilism to the point that it's "obvious," and will crow "show me the evidence" in response to idealism or other views, ignoring the deeper philosophical issues.
(September 11, 2015 at 7:56 pm)bennyboy Wrote: I don't know, man, I'd read between the lines a little, because I see in her the mark of the establishment.  The truth is that to more easily gain access toward higher positions, you are going to have to agree with your seniors and to tow the party line as it were.  Unless you are capable as an undergrad of writing a paper so startlingly unique that it gains a lot of notice, you are stuck sucking your way up to the top like everyone else.  The elders of philosophy have clearly sided with compatibilism to the point that it's "obvious," and will crow "show me the evidence" in response to idealism or other views, ignoring the deeper philosophical issues.
Well, it's certainly much more difficult to establish that reality consists of something above and beyond the sum of our experiences - after they've been subjected to sober reflection - but philosophers like David Chalmers, who will probably go down as one of the greats of our time, demonstrate that one can carve out their own place with innovative ways of thinking about difficult problems. I don't quite know what evidence you have to suggest that university encourages groupthink rather than challenging individuals to examine the evidence of their senses and reasonings that impel them towards certain positions... seems to me to be kind of a plea for a point of view that hasn't got much room to stand on its own.
(September 12, 2015 at 12:00 am)Nestor Wrote:
(September 11, 2015 at 7:56 pm)bennyboy Wrote: I don't know, man, I'd read between the lines a little, because I see in her the mark of the establishment.  The truth is that to more easily gain access toward higher positions, you are going to have to agree with your seniors and to tow the party line as it were.  Unless you are capable as an undergrad of writing a paper so startlingly unique that it gains a lot of notice, you are stuck sucking your way up to the top like everyone else.  The elders of philosophy have clearly sided with compatibilism to the point that it's "obvious," and will crow "show me the evidence" in response to idealism or other views, ignoring the deeper philosophical issues.
Well, it's certainly much more difficult to establish that reality consists of something above and beyond the sum of our experiences -  after they've been subjected to sober reflection - but philosophers like David Chalmers, who will probably go down as one of the greats of our time, demonstrate that one can carve out their own place with innovative ways of thinking about difficult problems. I don't quite know what evidence you have to suggest that university encourages groupthink rather than challenging individuals to examine the evidence of their senses and reasonings that impel them towards certain positions... seems to me to be kind of a plea for a point of view that hasn't got much room to stand on its own.

Let me ask a simple question.  If the vast majority of high-level philosophers all agree with each other on most of the salient points of their world view. . . is any philosophy still being done at all?  I'd say the true philosopher must be, almost by definition, outside of the majority, since it is exactly the willingness to challenge those views most entrenched that gives philosophy its value.

It also seems to me that physical monists in an academic setting base that confidence on the commonality of their assumptions, rather than on the necessity of their conclusions. But this is not so much evidence for truth as evidence for minds too lazy to push the envelope in seeking it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How worthless is Philosophy? vulcanlogician 125 5535 February 27, 2024 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  Philosophy Recommendations Harry Haller 21 1430 January 5, 2024 at 10:58 am
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  The Philosophy Of Stupidity. disobey 51 3603 July 27, 2023 at 3:02 am
Last Post: Carl Hickey
  Hippie philosophy Fake Messiah 19 1608 January 21, 2023 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  [Serious] Generally speaking, is philosophy a worthwhile subject of study? Disagreeable 238 13008 May 21, 2022 at 10:38 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  Video thread for interesting philosophical discussions on YouTube and elsewhere GrandizerII 2 307 August 26, 2020 at 8:43 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  My philosophy about Religion SuicideCommando01 18 2640 April 5, 2020 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: SuicideCommando01
  High level philosophy robvalue 46 4934 November 1, 2018 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: DLJ
  Why I'm here: a Muslim. My Philosophy in life. What is yours;Muslim? WinterHold 43 8262 May 27, 2018 at 12:20 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential Edwardo Piet 82 12039 April 29, 2018 at 1:57 am
Last Post: bennyboy