Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 3:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bifurcated Trivia
Bifurcated Trivia
(I was asked for this. Don't hate. Also, I would appreciate if respondents would be good enough not to insert their own trivia questions.)

This one is in two parts. Questions 1-5 are about groups of things. In questions 6-10, I will give a description of a well-known fictional character to be guessed.

1. What do the following words have in common? diamond, checkers, socks, pumpkin, lump.

2.  What do the following actors have in common? Stephen Fry, Danny Trejo, Mark Wahlberg, Nick Nolte, Robert Mitchum.

3.  Canada has had 12 of these, the UK 8, New Zealand 5, and the USA 4. What are they?

4.  Where can you find a man, a rabbit, a witch, a toad, and a tree that aren't really there?

5.  What do the following male names have in common?  Christian, George, Bernard, Charles, Leonard.

6. Father of a flower girl, he's a common dustman and has been described as 'the most original moralist in England'.

7.  'His left leg was cut off close by the hip, and under he left shoulder he carried a crutch, which he managed with wonderful dexterity, hopping about upon it like a bird.  He was very tall and strong, with a face as big as a ham - plain and pale, but intelligent and smiling.'  

8. '...stumping along with great yellow boots on his thick legs, and charging through grass and rushes like a cow going down to drink. He had a blue coat and a long brown beard; his eyes were blue and bright and his face was as red as a ripe apple, but creased into a hundred wrinkles of laughter.'

9.  '...a tall old man, clean shaven save for a long, white moustache, and clad in black from head to foot without a single speck of colour about him anywhere...with high bridge of the thin nose and peculiarly arched nostrils, with lofty domed forehead, and hair growing scantily round the temples but profusely elsewhere.'

10. 'Certainly good looking. That black hair falling over the right eyebrow. But there is something a bit cruel in the mouth, and the eyes were cold.' Also scarred on the right cheek and the back of the right hand.

Boru
_____

Edit: Web-searching is not only allowed but encouraged. If you come up with the correct answers via Googling (or using any other search engine), you will NOT be accused of cheating.
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: Bifurcated Trivia
(April 15, 2021 at 6:07 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: (I was asked for this. Don't hate. Also, I would appreciate if respondents would be good enough not to insert their own trivia questions.)

This one is in two parts. Questions 1-5 are about groups of things. In questions 6-10, I will give a description of a well-known fictional character to be guessed.

1. What do the following words have in common? diamond, checkers, socks, pumpkin, lump.

2.  What do the following actors have in common? Stephen Fry, Danny Trejo, Mark Wahlberg, Nick Nolte, Robert Mitchum.

3.  Canada has had 12 of these, the UK 8, New Zealand 5, and the USA 4. What are they?

4.  Where can you find a man, a rabbit, a witch, a toad, and a tree that aren't really there?

5.  What do the following male names have in common?  Christian, George, Bernard, Charles, Leonard.

6. Father of a flower girl, he's a common dustman and has been described as 'the most original moralist in England'.

7.  'His left leg was cut off close by the hip, and under he left shoulder he carried a crutch, which he managed with wonderful dexterity, hopping about upon it like a bird.  He was very tall and strong, with a face as big as a ham - plain and pale, but intelligent and smiling.'  

8. '...stumping along with great yellow boots on his thick legs, and charging through grass and rushes like a cow going down to drink. He had a blue coat and a long brown beard; his eyes were blue and bright and his face was as red as a ripe apple, but creased into a hundred wrinkles of laughter.'

9.  '...a tall old man, clean shaven save for a long, white moustache, and clad in black from head to foot without a single speck of colour about him anywhere...with high bridge of the thin nose and peculiarly arched nostrils, with lofty domed forehead, and hair growing scantily round the temples but profusely elsewhere.'

10. 'Certainly good looking. That black hair falling over the right eyebrow. But there is something a bit cruel in the mouth, and the eyes were cold.' Also scarred on the right cheek and the back of the right hand.

Boru
_____

Edit: Web-searching is not only allowed but encouraged. If you come up with the correct answers via Googling (or using any other search engine), you will NOT be accused of cheating.

Still working on the first 5 - 

6.  Arthur Doolittle from Pygmalion

7.  Long John Silver from Treasure Island

8.  Tom Bombadil of left out of the LOTR movies fame.

9.  Bram Stoker's Dracula

10.  Ian Fleming's James Bond

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(April 15, 2021 at 7:42 pm)arewethereyet Wrote:
(April 15, 2021 at 6:07 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: (I was asked for this. Don't hate. Also, I would appreciate if respondents would be good enough not to insert their own trivia questions.)

Boru
_____

Still working on the first 5 - 

6.  Arthur Doolittle from Pygmalion

7.  Long John Silver from Treasure Island

8.  Tom Bombadil of left out of the LOTR movies fame.

9.  Bram Stoker's Dracula

10.  Ian Fleming's James Bond

That was a damned good start!

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(April 15, 2021 at 6:07 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: 2.  What do the following actors have in common? Stephen Fry, Danny Trejo, Mark Wahlberg, Nick Nolte, Robert Mitchum.

They all spent time in prison...?
2. All have served time in jail

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Oops, I was searching while Bel was answering...my bad.

I'm going to go way out on a limb with #1 and say those are the names of presidential pets.

(April 15, 2021 at 7:58 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: Oops, I was searching while Bel was answering...my bad.

I knew that Fry and Trejo had been in prison, and I knew that Wahlberg was at least in trouble with the law. So I just guessed about the last two.

Thank you for confirming.
(April 15, 2021 at 8:05 pm)Belacqua Wrote:
(April 15, 2021 at 7:58 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: Oops, I was searching while Bel was answering...my bad.

I knew that Fry and Trejo had been in prison, and I knew that Wahlberg was at least in trouble with the law. So I just guessed about the last two.

Thank you for confirming.

Yes, they all spent time in prison. In order: credit card fraud, drug dealing/assault, assault, counterfeiting, and drug possession. As an aside, the most arrested actor in US history is Martin Sheen. 

No, not presidential pets, but you’re in the right area.

Boru
Another reach - 4. Lunar pareidolia refers to the pareidolic images seen by humans on the face of the Moon.

And if that's not it I can move this to the "Things I know today that I didn't know yesterday" category.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Some silly trivia questions arewethereyet 7 609 March 29, 2022 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Bifurcated Trivia: The Answers BrianSoddingBoru4 5 480 April 24, 2021 at 5:55 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  More Pointless Trivia (Answers) BrianSoddingBoru4 16 1052 December 20, 2020 at 5:42 am
  Lockdown Trivia: The Final Chapter BrianSoddingBoru4 6 846 May 24, 2020 at 5:47 pm
  Lockdown Trivia V BrianSoddingBoru4 92 5256 May 5, 2020 at 5:07 am
  Lockdown Trivia, IV BrianSoddingBoru4 9 974 April 28, 2020 at 5:03 am
  Lockdown Trivia, Stage III BrianSoddingBoru4 17 1091 April 25, 2020 at 11:59 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
Star Lockdown Trivia BrianSoddingBoru4 22 4337 April 17, 2020 at 9:26 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  Lockdown Trivia, Phase II BrianSoddingBoru4 17 1097 April 17, 2020 at 6:26 am
  Atheist Trivia, A Boru inspired thread..... Brian37 10 1332 November 18, 2018 at 7:50 pm
Last Post: Brian37