Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:27 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chimp's religion?
Chimp's religion?
Primatologists have observed that some chimpanzees are filling hollow trees with rocks. Why they would do this has few explanations, like maybe they are marking their territory, but other is that they are building shrines out of hollow trees and filling them with rocks to, in a way, worship trees.

From an article:
Quote:But what we discovered during our now-published study wasn’t a random, one-off event, it was a repeated activity with no clear link to gaining food or status – it could be a ritual. We searched the area and found many more sites where trees had similar markings and in many places piles of rocks had accumulated inside hollow tree trunks – reminiscent of the piles of rocks archaeologists have uncovered in human history.
Videos poured in. Other groups working in our project began searching for trees with tell-tale markings. We found the same mysterious behavior in small pockets of Guinea Bissau, Liberia and Côte d’Ivoire but nothing east of this, despite searching across the entire chimp range from the western coasts of Guinea all the way to Tanzania.
[…]
maybe we found the first evidence of chimpanzees creating a kind of shrine that could indicate sacred trees. Indigenous West African people have stone collections at “sacred” trees and such man-made stone collections are commonly observed across the world and look eerily similar to what we have discovered here.
https://www.newstatesman.com/culture/nat...e-religion
[Image: chimp-rocks.jpg]

Video

teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
RE: Chimp's religion?
A couple of other possible explanations spring to mind:

1. The article mentions that this behaviour by chimps occurs in essentially the same areas where humans do the same thing. Primates are imitative by nature, so it's at least plausible that the chimps are putting stones in trees for no other reason that they've seen stones piled in trees.

2. Chimps are known to use tools as well as having an ability to plan ahead, so this could possibly be a case of them storing stones for future use.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(May 25, 2021 at 4:44 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: A couple of other possible explanations spring to mind:

1. The article mentions that this behaviour by chimps occurs in essentially the same areas where humans do the same thing. Primates are imitative by nature, so it's at least plausible that the chimps are putting stones in trees for no other reason that they've seen stones piled in trees.

2. Chimps are known to use tools as well as having an ability to plan ahead, so this could possibly be a case of them storing stones for future use.

Boru

Agree, those are much more plausible. It seems a big leap to see an animal doing something we perceive as useless and jump to "they must be worshipping!"

The prospect of chimps or other apes evolving as our ancient ancestors did and catching up to us is an exciting thought. I think some people are a little too excited about it to do the due diligence scientific study requires.

It could be a game, the chimps version of horseshoes, curling or yard darts.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Well, religion isn't useless, imitation is a huge portion of human religious behavior, and games are ever present. That some animal would engage in ritual behaviors to mark out an item or location or event it deems to be special or important, and that in a social species these behaviors could spread, isn't beyond the pale.

It's not really an issue of "catching up" - that's an anthropocentric conceit, as are most of our offhand rejections of the idea that other animals might do some of the things that another animal does, particularly closely related ones. I think that it's interesting that if we were to find cairns anywhere else, we'd suspect humans did it, and did it for religious reasons - but because we know that chimps are doing it..we think "not that".

I'd be super interested to know whether the chimps ever take rocks away from the piles, as that might suggest whether there's a personal compulsion to add rocks, or a social taboo against their removal.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(May 25, 2021 at 7:41 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: I'd be super interested to know whether the chimps ever take rocks away from the piles, as that might suggest whether there's a personal compulsion to add rocks, or a social taboo against their removal.

At 1:20 a female chimp seems to be taking out some rocks from the tree.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
What do you call it when chimps put rocks in a tree?

Religion.

What do you call it when they throw their own feces?

Fundamentalism.
If I could talk to the apes, I would say: Don't bother evolving! You're wasting your fucking time.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(May 25, 2021 at 11:17 am)vulcanlogician Wrote: What do you call it when chimps put rocks in a tree?

Religion.

What do you call it when they throw their own feces?

Fundamentalism.

You can't spell 'fundamentalism' without 'fun'.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman
(May 26, 2021 at 2:57 am)░I░G░N░O░R░A░M░U░S ░ Wrote: If I could talk to the apes, I would say: Don't bother evolving! You're wasting your fucking time.

Well, they are just as evolved as we are, and all it got them is a pile of rocks and a spot on the endangered species list.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10722 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4906 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19822 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 49316 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Religion Vs Religion. Bull Poopie 14 5186 September 8, 2010 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused