Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 7:15 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'For Allah' Inscription Found on Viking Era Ring
'For Allah' Inscription Found on Viking Era Ring
Another refreshing news !

Quote:'For Allah' Inscription Found on Viking Era Ring

[Image: S8EGcpU3QfFL2tdAFvUvYF-320-80.jpg]

Ancient tales about Viking expeditions to Islamic countries had some elements of truth, according to recent analysis of a ring recovered from a 9th century Swedish grave.

Featuring a pink-violet colored stone with an inscription that reads “for Allah” or “to Allah,” the silver ring was found during the 1872-1895 excavations of grave fields at the Viking age trading center of Birka, some 15.5 miles west of Stockholm.
It was recovered from a rectangular wooden coffin along with jewelry, brooches and remains of clothes. Although the skeleton was completely decomposed, the objects indicated it was a female burial dating to about 850 A.D.

https://www.livescience.com/50161-for-al...-ring.html

How much did Islam influence the western culture is beyond me.
But this is very interesting news.

RE: 'For Allah' Inscription Found on Viking Era Ring
The most interesting thing is that this ring was inscribed. Other Middle Eastern artifacts have been found in Scandinavia, this appears to be the first one with an inscription.

Pretty cool. 

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
The Islamic kingdoms and the Vikings traded often and the Vikings often sold themselves as mercenaries to whoever could pay. So this shouldn't be a surprise.
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

(September 27, 2021 at 4:15 pm)Helios Wrote: The Islamic kingdoms and the Vikings traded often and the Vikings often sold themselves as mercenaries to whoever could pay. So this shouldn't be a surprise.

People forget just how extensive viking sea trade actually was.

Atlass seems to be one of those.
(September 27, 2021 at 3:42 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: The most interesting thing is that this ring was inscribed. Other Middle Eastern artifacts have been found in Scandinavia, this appears to be the first one with an inscription.

Pretty cool. 

Boru

I first assumed that it was a booty taken from a defeated English soldier that took the ring during the Crusades, but checking the date again (850 AD) ruled that out of the table. Probably it was a Viking merchant that purchased the ring from the Islamic empire.

(September 27, 2021 at 4:15 pm)Helios Wrote: The Islamic kingdoms and the Vikings traded often and the Vikings often sold themselves as mercenaries to whoever could pay. So this shouldn't be a surprise.

Where is the receipt for these deals? baseless post.

(September 27, 2021 at 6:59 pm)Abaddon_ire Wrote:

People forget just how extensive viking sea trade actually was.

Atlass seems to be one of those.

? Vikings are well known to reach America before Gog and Magog Spaniards ! so nobody is underestimating the size of their expeditions but the English and Gog & Magog enthusiasts.
Quote:Where is the receipt for these deals? baseless post.
Are you denying the historical fact that the Islamic world and the Vikings traded? Are denying the historical fact that the Vikings fought as mercenaries for other powers? If so your ignorance knows no bounds.

Quote:Vikings are well known to reach America before Gog and Magog Spaniards ! so nobody is underestimating the size of their expeditions but the English and Gog & Magog enthusiasts.
WTF?
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

(September 27, 2021 at 7:21 pm)WinterHold Wrote:

Where is the receipt for these deals? baseless post.
We know from arabic sources that Viking traders went at least as far as Bagdad in the 9th century. Single ones were reported to have reached the Red Sea area.
You should probably learn to read arabic.
Cetero censeo religionem delendam esse
(September 28, 2021 at 9:31 am)Deesse23 Wrote:
(September 27, 2021 at 7:21 pm)WinterHold Wrote: Where is the receipt for these deals? baseless post.
We know from arabic sources that Viking traders went at least as far as Bagdad in the 9th century. Single ones were reported to have reached the Red Sea area.

Yes they even made a movie about it starring Antonio Banderas called "The 13th Warrior":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_13th_Warrior

Quote:The 13th Warrior is a 1999 American historical fiction action film based on Michael Crichton's 1976 novel Eaters of the Dead,[5] which is a loose adaptation of the tale of Beowulf combined with Ahmad ibn Fadlan's historical account of the Volga Vikings. It stars Antonio Banderas as Ahmad ibn Fadlan, as well as Diane Venora and Omar Sharif. It was directed by John McTiernan. Crichton directed some uncredited reshoots. The film was produced by McTiernan, Crichton, and Ned Dowd, with , James Biggam and Ethan Dubrow as executive producers.

Great movie, and based on historical writings usually ignored by Gog and Magog. Even when Gog and Magog admit our mighty Islamic history writing they must undermine it and mix other tales of folklore to overshadow the Islamic part.

But great movie.
Just imagine, some of us were impressionable young people watching antonia banderas play a muslim in 99.....and then....

Not sure how a thing a guy named michael crichton writes about, which gets optioned into a big budget movie, that brings in 61mil usd..is gog and magog ignoring anything. Maybe you're just a fruit loop getting groomed to blow yourself up in a crowded place? Yeah, great movie, though. Books better, that's pretty much the rule with his stuff. Jurassic Park, Sphere, Westworld. Timeline is one I thought was fun.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(September 28, 2021 at 3:13 pm)WinterHold Wrote:
(September 28, 2021 at 9:31 am)Deesse23 Wrote: We know from arabic sources that Viking traders went at least as far as Bagdad in the 9th century. Single ones were reported to have reached the Red Sea area.

Yes they even made a movie about it starring Antonio Banderas called "The 13th Warrior":

Nope, that is about something completely different.
As usual, you completely miss the point.
Cetero censeo religionem delendam esse

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bounty Hunters found not guilty in case of gunning down innocent black man Cecelia 21 1470 August 3, 2019 at 8:49 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Saudi Arabia: Two Saudi girls who flee to the U.S.A for asylum, were found dead WinterHold 1 582 October 31, 2018 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  5 suspicious packages found in the last 24 hours Joods 188 12969 October 29, 2018 at 12:15 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  The WLB Found Another Scumbag to Pardon Minimalist 0 276 April 13, 2018 at 2:45 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Jeff Sessions Rescinding Obama era pot rules Antares 48 6633 January 7, 2018 at 8:12 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Kate Steinle's Killer Found Not Guilty A Theist 73 8958 December 2, 2017 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Bundy Militia Dipwads Found ‘Not’ Guilty, Again, Due To Pre-Existing Whiteness By Do The Grand Nudger 8 1632 August 23, 2017 at 2:25 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Missing man found near other human remains Foxaèr 1 599 July 13, 2017 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  The End Of An Era For Canadian Journalism Amarok 0 576 July 2, 2017 at 2:32 am
Last Post: Amarok
  NY judge found in Hudson River brewer 9 2248 April 14, 2017 at 4:51 am
Last Post: Isis