Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 9:27 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Debating the existence of Jesus
Debating the existence of Jesus
I'm currently in a debate with a theist over whether or not Jesus existed.

Points he's made so far:
-Modern scholars agree Jesus existed, so he existed
-Tacticus and Josephus are reliable historians, so we should accept their accounts of Jesus.
-The writers of the Gospel died in very gruesome, martyr-like ways, so why would they die for something that wasn't even true?

Points I've made:
-Tacticus and Josephus were born AFTER the events of Jesus allegedly occurred, making their accounts as reliable as the Gospels (not very reliable)
-Josephus' account of Jesus was written after the first gospel was written.
-Josephus' "Testimonium Flavianum" was tampered with.
-Josephus' 'Jamesian Reference" refers to a different Jesus than Jesus Christ

So I've debunked his first two points (even though he won't acknowledge I have), but he keeps flaunting that third point of his. Any recommendations on how to end this debate in my favor, whether it be debunking the third point or addressing a new point?
ronedee Wrote:Science doesn't have a good explaination for water

[Image: YAAgdMk.gif]

RE: Debating the existence of Jesus
(June 24, 2013 at 4:56 pm)CleanShavenJesus Wrote: -Modern scholars agree Jesus existed, so he existed
Phlogiston.

Quote:-Tacticus and Josephus are reliable historians, so we should accept their accounts of Jesus.
We -can- accept their accounts without ever invoking any "historical" jesus. This is not to say that we should, simply that we can and we are still not left with a "historical jesus". Simply stories told by those who -believe- in a "jesus".

Quote:-The writers of the Gospel died in very gruesome, martyr-like ways, so why would they die for something that wasn't even true?
Happens all the time, laying aside that this martyr shit is propaganda in the first place.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
The terrorists that died flying into the twin towers died in a pretty nasty way. Does that make them right too? They thought they were martyr's too.
Are you on Omegle? I just had the same discussion like an hour ago...
"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it" - Robert A. Heinlein
Would you blame sports car for an accident instead of drunk driver?
Good guy Ronald Reagan

(June 24, 2013 at 5:23 pm)wwjs Wrote: Are you on Omegle? I just had the same discussion like an hour ago...

LOL, no, I am on Facebook.

I understand a debate on Facebook might be a bit of a waste of time but goddammit I'm right and he's wrong.
ronedee Wrote:Science doesn't have a good explaination for water

[Image: YAAgdMk.gif]

This write up has some good ammo for you:

http://www.theskepticalreview.com/tsrmag/4front97.html
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.
(June 24, 2013 at 5:01 pm)Insanity x Wrote: The terrorists that died flying into the twin towers died in a pretty nasty way. Does that make them right too? They thought they were martyr's too.

Their deaths were instantaneous, they were not imprisoned on numerous occasions, they were not stone, nor whipped for their beliefs, no one threatened their lives over and over. The disciples did not see themselves as martyrs, they actually placed themselves below others, they considered they were servants to others.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
Quote:Points he's made so far:
-Modern scholars agree Jesus existed, so he existed
-Tacticus and Josephus are reliable historians, so we should accept their accounts of Jesus.
-The writers of the Gospel died in very gruesome, martyr-like ways, so why would they die for something that wasn't even true?

The "modern scholars" argument fails to account for the disparity of views among those modern scholars - and ignores the fact that it is also modern scholars who think jesus is a pipe dream. Prior to the Enlightenment it would cost you your life to doubt fucking jesus. I have yet to see a reasonable explanation of "the historical jesus" (whatever the fuck that means!) backed up by actual evidence.

Tacitus never mentioned anyone named "Jesus" and Josephus' TF is a 4th century forgery.

There is no evidence that there were any disciples any more than there is evidence of jesus himself. The gospels are anonymous books, written at an unknown time but most likely well after any "disciples" were dead. In fact, the disciples seem to fulfill nothing more than the Greek chorus of contemporary literature. A bunch of guys to say "Holy SHIT, Lord" whenever their boy did something miraculous.
(June 24, 2013 at 5:40 pm)Godschild Wrote: Their deaths were instantaneous, they were not imprisoned on numerous occasions, they were not stone, nor whipped for their beliefs, no one threatened their lives over and over. The disciples did not see themselves as martyrs, they actually placed themselves below others, they considered they were servants to others.

And you are basing this on what evidence exactly?
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.
(June 24, 2013 at 5:40 pm)Godschild Wrote:
(June 24, 2013 at 5:01 pm)Insanity x Wrote: The terrorists that died flying into the twin towers died in a pretty nasty way. Does that make them right too? They thought they were martyr's too.

Their deaths were instantaneous, they were not imprisoned on numerous occasions, they were not stone, nor whipped for their beliefs, no one threatened their lives over and over. The disciples did not see themselves as martyrs, they actually placed themselves below others, they considered they were servants to others.

Neither were your fictional disciples.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Existence of Marcion questioned? JairCrawford 28 2109 March 4, 2022 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is WLC done debating? Jehanne 8 1617 September 4, 2018 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  The existence of god Foxaèr 16 2874 May 5, 2018 at 3:42 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Atheism vs. God's Existence sk123 412 55206 May 27, 2016 at 3:26 pm
Last Post: Esquilax
  There is no argument for the existence of "God" Foxaèr 38 7438 March 15, 2016 at 8:50 am
Last Post: popsthebuilder
  Two ways to prove the existence of God. Also, what I'm looking for. IanHulett 9 3604 July 25, 2015 at 6:37 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  In Christianity, Does Jesus' Soul Have Anything To Do With Why Jesus Is God? JesusIsGod7 18 7199 October 7, 2014 at 12:58 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  20 Arguments for God's existence? Foxaèr 17 4124 May 9, 2014 at 2:43 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Telephones Prove God's Existence Mudhammam 9 4143 February 6, 2014 at 6:41 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Why do atheists even bother about debating Jesus? Sciworks 130 49524 February 8, 2013 at 8:38 am
Last Post: Confused Ape