Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
End and the Means
End and the Means
Do you think the end justifies the means? Personaly, I do-however, as no one knows the end result as they implement the means, it can get tricky. What do you think?
RE: End and the Means
I do not think that the end justifies the means. It would depend very much what the end result would be before I would do something with disagreeable means.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
I have to agree, The ends can not be said to justify the means ... It opens up a grey area where a laudible goal can cover up atrocities in it's creation and in my opinion that would deflate the meaning of the goal.

Regards

Sam
"We need not suppose more things to exist than are absolutely neccesary." William of Occam

"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt" William Shakespeare (Measure for Measure: Act 1, Scene 4)

AgnosticAtheist
It reallllllllllllly depends. I think the findings of Milgram's experiments justified the emotional turmoil some of the participants suffered as the means. But then you get something like the atomic bombs which ended WWII. The ending of world war two was certainly great, but I can't find it in myself to say this justifies such mass slaughter. And when you're doing something awful and promising it will be justified by the end... I don't like that Tongue

This is a tough topic, I hope more people start pitching in Smile
Yeah- it absolutely depends on the situation. Even then, though, it's iffy, and totally subjective. For example, if you had to kill a million people to achieve world peace, that would be to some a very acceptable cost. To others, however, the killing of one is the same as the killing of any number, and unacceptable. Who chooses where to draw the line?

It's of course interesting to think that different people would have polar views on what exactly is morally acceptable. This makes it difficult to know exactly which "means" are justified and which are not. For myself, it's simple- if I have a moral problem with the means used to achieve an end, then the end does not justify them. But as for how to apply that to a societal scale, I have no idea.
[Image: Canadatheist3copy.jpg?t=1270015625]
(January 28, 2009 at 8:06 am)dagda Wrote: Do you think the end justifies the means? Personaly, I do-however, as no one knows the end result as they implement the means, it can get tricky. What do you think?

Quote examples of ends justifying means.
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
The ends only justify the means if the means had multiple paths, and the chosen path ended with the greater of the ends. For example, a train is hurtling towards certain doom, and the only way of preventing disaster is to send it onto another set of tracks. However, there is someone caught on the tracks and nobody can get to them in time (nor can they free themselves).

So you have the choice of sacrificing the one to save the many, or sacrificing the many to save the one. In this circumstance I could positively say that I would choose to divert the train, killing the person on the tracks. I probably wouldn't like doing it, but the ends justify the means.
(January 28, 2009 at 5:40 pm)Tiberius Wrote: The ends only justify the means if the means had multiple paths, and the chosen path ended with the greater of the ends. For example, a train is hurtling towards certain doom, and the only way of preventing disaster is to send it onto another set of tracks. However, there is someone caught on the tracks and nobody can get to them in time (nor can they free themselves).

So you have the choice of sacrificing the one to save the many, or sacrificing the many to save the one. In this circumstance I could positively say that I would choose to divert the train, killing the person on the tracks. I probably wouldn't like doing it, but the ends justify the means.
Adrian, what if the one strapped to the track was the most prominent atheist there has ever been?
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
(January 28, 2009 at 7:54 pm)bozo Wrote:
(January 28, 2009 at 5:40 pm)Tiberius Wrote: The ends only justify the means if the means had multiple paths, and the chosen path ended with the greater of the ends. For example, a train is hurtling towards certain doom, and the only way of preventing disaster is to send it onto another set of tracks. However, there is someone caught on the tracks and nobody can get to them in time (nor can they free themselves).

Adrian, what if the one strapped to the track was the most prominent atheist there has ever been?
I don't value any particular life as greater than another, so for me the problem wouldn't be apparent. Of course, when you get into things like "what if the person on the track knew the cure for cancer" then it gets harder, because suddenly the ends are shifted. You have to factor in whether you should sacrifice this man and hope that another cure is discovered, or whether the greater amount of life on the train is better than all the lives that could be saved with the cure.

I see no reason why I would save a prominent atheist over a train full of people though, as in the long run they have nothing to offer that can even remotely compare to the saving of life.
That's can be a very broad open-ended statement. I would say I'm opposed to it philosophically. I think a persons moral's and ethics, essentially their values, should not be compromised, otherwise are they really values?. Could you possible create a scenario where I might change that opinion? Possible, but not likely. And then again would that scenario be plausible. Like Adrian's train scenario doesn't seem very plausible and I don't like debating hypothetical scenarios that will likely never happen.

Torture is a huge controversy in the US. The Bush administration claimed it needed to torture to protect America. We now know it's all bullshit, but they believe the ends justified the means. But it doesn't. One guy, whose name escapes me, is beyond prosecution because we tortured him. He was supposed to be a hijacker on the flight 93 on 911. He will never be put to trial now. There are a whole myriad of reasons why torture is wrong, the best is that information from torture is never reliable, is never timely. Time and again talking, negotiating, etc... is what provides true information.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Humanist marriages 'least likely to end in divorce' Duty 20 3458 March 11, 2019 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  List of religious end times/Second coming of Jesus predictions purplepurpose 13 4170 November 22, 2018 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  How would Abrahamic religions end? mota 18 8682 August 2, 2018 at 6:56 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  If your child cries it means Satan is in him Ruckus123 8 1916 May 5, 2018 at 9:58 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  The bible teaches that there is no immortal soul and that death is the end MIND BLOWN LetThereBeNoGod 4 1755 February 16, 2017 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Scientists discover new form of matter in 2017. (The end of human suffering?) %mindless_detector% 17 5190 January 29, 2017 at 11:16 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  i think we are living in the end times! Rextos 5 1772 December 17, 2015 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: brewer
  how do you think life on earth will end? Rextos 42 6539 November 18, 2015 at 11:11 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Religion must end. Spooky 60 9329 April 24, 2015 at 12:35 am
Last Post: Jenny A
  so its the end of the world what do you do. dyresand 35 5123 November 16, 2014 at 2:49 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd