Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oregon Has No Death Row
Oregon Has No Death Row
Governor Commutes All Death Sentences To Life Imprisonment

Quote:Oregon Gov. Kate Brown announced Tuesday that she is commuting the sentences of all of the state’s 17 inmates awaiting execution, saying their death sentences will be changed to life in prison without the possibility of parole.
Brown, a Democrat with less than a month remaining in office, said she was using her executive clemency powers to commute the sentences and that her order will take effect on Wednesday.
“I have long believed that justice is not advanced by taking a life, and the state should not be in the business of executing people — even if a terrible crime placed them in prison,” Brown said in a statement.

Good news. Baby steps, but good news just the same.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: Oregon Has No Death Row
If only the Governor of Missouri would do the same; that State is prepping for a stream of executions beginning early next month.
(December 14, 2022 at 10:31 am)Jehanne Wrote: If only the Governor of Missouri would do the same; that State is prepping for a stream of executions beginning early next month.

Just looked it up - the governor of Missouri is a Republican. So…not.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
They'd abolish the death penalty in a heartbeat if we started executing traitors.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(December 14, 2022 at 1:14 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(December 14, 2022 at 10:31 am)Jehanne Wrote: If only the Governor of Missouri would do the same; that State is prepping for a stream of executions beginning early next month.

Just looked it up - the governor of Missouri is a Republican. So…not.

Boru

Not necessarily true. The Governor of Illinois, George Ryan, was a Republican who commuted more than 160 death sentences in 2003. And, so, perhaps.
More culture war masquerading as humanity.

160 commutations, 35 african americans convicted by all white juries. You won't be surprised when you look up the population numbers in the state and the demographics of death row. Not only did race play a hell of a role in who got convicted, it looks like it played a hell of a role in who got a commutation.

LOL, they had to scrape the bottom of the barrel of a few percent and found plenty of white heads worth keeping on shoulders, but in the 90 some odd percent of people on death row, could only find a few black heads worth saving.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(December 14, 2022 at 1:28 pm)Jehanne Wrote:
(December 14, 2022 at 1:14 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Just looked it up - the governor of Missouri is a Republican. So…not.

Boru

Not necessarily true.  The Governor of Illinois, George Ryan, was a Republican who commuted more than 160 death sentences in 2003.  And, so, perhaps.

A Republican in 2003 is not a Republican in 2022.

Boru

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  50 years on death row Thumpalumpacus 48 1479 March 3, 2024 at 11:52 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  This has to be the most chilling thing he has done. Brian37 29 1668 September 8, 2020 at 9:40 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Portland, Oregon And Dublin Ireland: A Lesson BrianSoddingBoru4 31 1641 July 23, 2020 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Oregon Journalist Andy Ngo Attacked By Antifa Members EgoDeath 140 11857 July 21, 2019 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Pakistan acquits Christian woman on death row Marozz 9 1085 October 31, 2018 at 3:08 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Oregon School District forces LGBT kids to read bible as punishment Divinity 42 3733 May 14, 2018 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Go Oregon! Foxaèr 9 1592 June 14, 2017 at 12:14 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  BREAKING: OREGON COLLEGE SHOOTING c172 189 37819 October 11, 2015 at 3:18 am
Last Post: MattB
  Secular Celebrant Bill Passes Oregon House Secular Elf 0 745 May 30, 2015 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Tut Row Raggy Brian37 4 1198 January 22, 2015 at 11:03 am
Last Post: vorlon13