Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biden condemned by AOC over detention center.
Biden condemned by AOC over detention center.
I am not sure what to make of this. I most certainly am against any type of for profit detention, be it for migrants or even domestic jails or prisons. That I am 100% against.

But having said that, not sure what Biden is supposed to do in a split second. Just like we need to move away from burning fossil fuels, we cant do that overnight. 

Detaining people who enter without papers has always happened. Deporting people without papers also has always happened. I think everyone can agree that it is harmful to a child to separate them from their parents. But I don't think that is Biden's intent. I think there is more to this story. I'd bet that this on Biden's part will include some way to keep families in contact, and let them communicate with their children in some way and reunite them as quickly as possible. It isn't ideal, no. But it is far better than simply having crappy tracking to the point that nobody can find the parents at all after they are separated. I am certainly confident that Biden is always going to insist that contact tracing will happen. 

Press secretary Jen Psaki pushed back on the criticism. 

https://www.newsweek.com/progressive-dem...ay-1571510
RE: Biden condemned by AOC over detention center.
I don't know why anyone expected otherwise. He promised a return to normalcy. This is normalcy.

Obama was a drone warlord and the deporter-in-cheif. That sounds great compared to president klan robe, but it still is...what it is. They're promising to run the concentration camps much better than the last guys, and..fwiw...I believe them.

Allow me to suggest a way for you to understand this. The last guy was doing it because he hated browns, sure..but also because it was a financial problem that needed solving. That much is the same reason that this guy is doing it - because when america has a financial problem that needs solving...we stuff as many browns as we can into the smallest possible space in order to extract the maximum economic benefit. It's not exactly a mystery.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(February 24, 2021 at 1:44 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: I don't know why anyone expected otherwise.  He promised a return to normalcy.  This is normalcy.  

Obama was a drone warlord and the deporter-in-cheif.  That sounds great compared to president klan robe, but it still is...what it is.  They're promising to run the concentration camps much better than the last guys, and..fwiw...I believe them.

Allow me to suggest a way for you to understand this.  The last guy was doing it because he hated browns, sure..but also because it was a financial problem that needed solving.  That much is the same reason that this guy is doing it - because when america has a financial problem that needs solving...we stuff as many browns as we can into the smallest possible space in order to extract the maximum economic benefit.  It's not exactly a mystery.

Again, I don't think he is doing this to win points with swing voters in Florida. I simply think he is stuck with using the physical buildings available. I do believe the article said "temporary". 

I have no doubt that he isn't going to let either parents or kids go lost completely in the system like Trump did. 

But in any case, does anyone really think detaining people will magically 100% stop, or that everyone who comes here without papers should not be deported?

I am very far to the left on immigration. I don't think non violent people should be blindly deported and they should be given every opportunity to make a case to stay. And if we do end up having to deport them, we should make every effort not to send them back to a place where they may starve to death or get murdered.  But there is always going to be some volume of deportation. I also think those already here, especially those who have kids , and have been here for a long time, should not be deported. Migrants, papers or not do make up a huge chunk of our economy. 

But I really don't see detention or deportation ending 100%. There is not one country in the west that does not have some level of deportation. I think one can only argue how to make it more humane. I am damned sure for example, if I visited Japan or Australia and decided to overstay my Visa and worked in either country without papers, if found, they'd deport me back to America.

I would say however, the GOP damned sure does base their policy on bigotry. The left as a party does not.
(February 24, 2021 at 1:44 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: I don't know why anyone expected otherwise.  He promised a return to normalcy.  This is normalcy.  

Obama was a drone warlord and the deporter-in-cheif.  That sounds great compared to president klan robe, but it still is...what it is.  They're promising to run the concentration camps much better than the last guys, and..fwiw...I believe them.

Allow me to suggest a way for you to understand this.  The last guy was doing it because he hated browns, sure..but also because it was a financial problem that needed solving.  That much is the same reason that this guy is doing it - because when america has a financial problem that needs solving...we stuff as many browns as we can into the smallest possible space in order to extract the maximum economic benefit.  It's not exactly a mystery.
To be fair he might move to a different policy in time. It's not going to change overnight.
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

This is the policy he moved to. He did do it over night, on the weekend, when it was less likely to get picked up. The camps were closed. He's reopened them. Unlicensed for profit concentration camps for kids. What could go wrong.

But....hey, they have a salon now, so I'm sure that we're all very comforted by that change. No point in putting lipstick on a pick. Biden has just about immediately done the exact thing that remains as a black mark on the last admin he was in and the admin after that..and he didn't have to do it. He could have simply released these minors to their families, who want them, and are in the states. Instead, they chose to lock em up.

Use the available buildings....? They put these things up in shuttered walmarts for fucks sake. There's no shortage of empty box stores. The admin was lobbied. It's exactly what it looks like. It's not a different thing. He could do other things, this is the thing we're doing, again.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
It's the policy he moved to for now and no he couldn't have simply let them go. It's going to take time to sort out the mess Trump made in fact as i understand it this will be temporary.
"Change was inevitable"

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

I know how to feel about this: It's still really fucking shitty.

"What was Biden SUPPOSED to do?"

I dunno. Maybe not expand the use of detention centers. Doesn't matter if they're better than Trump's. Trump isn't the standard by which we want to be set.
"Tradition" is just a word people use to make themselves feel better about being an asshole.
A politician not living up to campaign promises?

Shocking.

Simply shocking.

[/way over the top sarcasm]
Way to get it entirely backward, as is your habit.
Quote:This is the policy he moved to. He did do it over night, on the weekend, when it was less likely to get picked up. The camps were closed. He's reopened them. Unlicensed for profit concentration camps for kids. What could go wrong.
As I have said they say temporary till they sort the mess Trump made of the refugee system . 

Quote:But....hey, they have a salon now, so I'm sure that we're all very comforted by that change. No point in putting lipstick on a pick. Biden has just about immediately done the exact thing that remains as a black mark on the last admin he was in and the admin after that..and he didn't have to do it. He could have simply released these minors to their families, who want them, and are in the states. Instead, they chose to lock em up.
I'm not I'm just giving him the benefit of a doubt.

Quote:Use the available buildings....? They put these things up in shuttered walmarts for fucks sake. There's no shortage of empty box stores. The admin was lobbied. It's exactly what it looks like. It's not a different thing. He could do other things, this is the thing we're doing, again.
You want kids leaving in shuttered Walmart? Again we don't know that and will see what they do. Jumping the shark is never a good bet.

Quote:A politician not living up to campaign promises?

Shocking.

Simply shocking.

[/way over the top sarcasm]
Shock! OLB jumping the gun to enforce his cynical view of the world  Dodgy
"Change was inevitable"

–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up President Biden orders mass deportation of immigrants onlinebiker 135 5811 September 22, 2021 at 8:49 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Biden's Victory Speech onlinebiker 45 2944 September 1, 2021 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Triden -Biden- remarks on Palestine. WinterHold 16 1277 May 24, 2021 at 6:27 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  [Serious] Biden on punishing MBS and Saudi Arabia WinterHold 27 2435 March 23, 2021 at 10:31 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  BREAKING: Loujain Al-Hathloul FREE ! thanks Biden ! WinterHold 24 1154 February 15, 2021 at 7:05 pm
  Mitch McConnell finally recognizes BIDEN. Brian37 21 1297 December 15, 2020 at 9:10 pm
  Trump Train runs Biden Bus out of Texas! WinterHold 18 1314 November 2, 2020 at 9:58 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Busted with arms, researched killing Biden Brian37 110 4102 October 25, 2020 at 1:20 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  I officially support Biden in the US elections WinterHold 34 2417 October 22, 2020 at 11:42 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Now the GOP trots out dirt on Hunter Biden onlinebiker 89 5614 October 21, 2020 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama