Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 5:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rcent Christian Movie Ratings
Rcent Christian Movie Ratings
I'm a big movie guy.  I have the AMC A-List thing and see everything that looks even marginally interesting, since that gives me a shot at 3 every week.  The theater near me even carries a lot of the indie films, which is great.

Anyhow, I noticed something today.  I'll probably go to "Renfield", and definitely to "Evil Dead Rise" this weekend, since horror is my thing, but I noticed one that looked horror-ish from the posters opening this weekend called "Nefarious".  I looked it up on Rotten Tomatoes, and it currently has 25% from critics, but 97% from audience.  That makes no sense.  I clicked through, and then understood.  One of the first phrases I saw was "faith-based thriller".

It looks like this happens a lot.  I noticed it last month with "Jesus Revolution" and it's 60% (respectable!) critics, but fucking 99% audience.

I mean, I get it.  They're proseletyzing, since they irrationally think they are being persecuted and need to prop up anything promoting the faith that 70% of Americans already proclaim.   The audience ratings are akin to taking a poll about trump at the NRA rally in Indy this weekend - he can be as big a douchebag as possible, but still get 99%.  Self-fulfilling prophecy.  It just struck me as funny and dishonest, though.

And, for the record, not going to go see it.
RE: Rcent Christian Movie Ratings
(April 17, 2023 at 9:13 am)TheJefe817 Wrote: I'm a big movie guy.  I have the AMC A-List thing and see everything that looks even marginally interesting, since that gives me a shot at 3 every week.  The theater near me even carries a lot of the indie films, which is great.

Anyhow, I noticed something today.  I'll probably go to "Renfield", and definitely to "Evil Dead Rise" this weekend, since horror is my thing, but I noticed one that looked horror-ish from the posters opening this weekend called "Nefarious".  I looked it up on Rotten Tomatoes, and it currently has 25% from critics, but 97% from audience.  That makes no sense.  I clicked through, and then understood.  One of the first phrases I saw was "faith-based thriller".

It looks like this happens a lot.  I noticed it last month with "Jesus Revolution" and it's 60% (respectable!) critics, but fucking 99% audience.

I mean, I get it.  They're proseletyzing, since they irrationally think they are being persecuted and need to prop up anything promoting the faith that 70% of Americans already proclaim.   The audience ratings are akin to taking a poll about trump at the NRA rally in Indy this weekend - he can be as big a douchebag as possible, but still get 99%.  Self-fulfilling prophecy.  It just struck me as funny and dishonest, though.

You seem surprised (and weirdly angry) that Christians like Christian films. Not for nothing, but you should consider not sweating the small stuff.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Christianity doesn't really do honest.
This is just their way of saying “we give far more of a shit about media saying the right things than whether or not it says them well.”

It’s what happens when people think rightthink is a good substitute for taste. And that never goes well, even in the rarer cases when it’s our side falling into said traps.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Though not a movie; I am endlessly grateful for the comedy goldmine that is Bibleman.

Drunk Willie Aames in a rubber suit, beautiful.
"For the only way to eternal glory is a life lived in service of our Lord, FSM; Verily it is FSM who is the perfect being the name higher than all names, king of all kings and will bestow upon us all, one day, The great reclaiming"  -The Prophet Boiardi-

Conservative trigger warning.
[Image: s-l640.jpg]

(April 17, 2023 at 12:35 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: You seem surprised (and weirdly angry) that Christians like Christian films. Not for nothing, but you should consider not sweating the small stuff.

Boru

You are no doubt correct.  That's why I posted it here for some thoughts rather than social media, etc.  I've had doubts for ages, but am newly "out", so it's good to hear when I'm just overreacting to things.
(April 17, 2023 at 9:13 am)TheJefe817 Wrote: I'm a big movie guy.  I have the AMC A-List thing and see everything that looks even marginally interesting, since that gives me a shot at 3 every week.  The theater near me even carries a lot of the indie films, which is great.

Hilarious
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

The most of the fan ratings on Rotten Tomatoes will be from people who have not and never will watch the film. It always happens with any entertainment product that bas the "christian" label.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
(April 19, 2023 at 2:15 am)GUBU Wrote:

The most of the fan ratings on Rotten Tomatoes will be from people who have not and never will watch the film.  It always happens with any entertainment product that bas the "christian" label.

With all the other nonsense Christians get up to, this really seems pretty harmless. I'd rather them rate a movie they haven't seen than, you know, rape children.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
If it is a documentary about Evolution theory, I imagine it would get some 0/10 and the rest would be 7/10, 8/10, 9/10.
The YEC type of people would give it 0 whether they have watched it or not.
It is part of their policy.

If it is a documentary about Jesus and the Bible and how Jesus is just a human and the Bible has been edited by humans, I would image that you would see that same effect.

It’s all politics.
It is a kind of cultural war and it will go on forever.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The false miracle of Fatima now a movie Foxaèr 17 1624 September 6, 2020 at 2:03 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 87854 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Another retarded religious movie. Foxaèr 7 1089 June 16, 2016 at 2:32 am
Last Post: Alex K
  This Movie Needs A Guy and Two Robots Making Fun Of It Minimalist 7 1476 June 7, 2016 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Do You Believe (the movie) watchamadoodle 13 2618 April 12, 2015 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: watchamadoodle
  Yet more christian logic: christian sues for not being given a job she refuses to do. Esquilax 21 7346 July 20, 2014 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  God's Not Dead movie ThePinsir 16 5213 March 22, 2014 at 10:55 am
Last Post: My imaginary friend is GOD
  Anyone seen this movie "Red State" yet? (Yuck.) Whateverist 7 2835 February 27, 2014 at 12:30 am
Last Post: Chad32
  Focus on the Family movie Tea Earl Grey Hot 10 3940 December 24, 2013 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: Tea Earl Grey Hot
  The holes in religion are like those in a time travel movie. RichardP 20 5387 January 8, 2013 at 9:44 pm
Last Post: RichardP