Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The holes in religion are like those in a time travel movie.
The holes in religion are like those in a time travel movie.
I can see two nerds arguing about a time travel movie.

Nerd 1: If the guy was motivated by some terrible thing in his past to build a time machine, then if he went back into the past and prevented the terrible thing from happening his motivation for building a time machine would be gone -- and he would have never been able to return to the future because that future would not exist.

Nerd 2: Yeah but maybe something else motivated him to build a time machine the second time.

Nerd 1: Yeah but if something else motivated him to build the time machine the second time then he would not be coming back from the same time or mission.

Nerd 2: Yeah so the future just changed.

Nerd 1: That is my whole point! If the future changed he would never go back to the future -- like in the movie! The future him would be gone and there would never be any memory of a time machine.

-----------------------

It seems to me that religion has similar holes.

People argue that God loves everybody and rejects nobody and that it is sin that separates people from God. So it is the sin that separates people from God -- their frame of mind when they committed the sin, and their changed perspective after committing sins. Like a politician who gets used to lying. He feels a little uncomfortable at first but after a while he gets used to it and no longer feels any guilt.

So the argument is that we reconnect with God when we feel guilt and turn back to God and repent and ask for forgiveness.

However the Christians argue that we are saved by "grace" and we are all undeserving and sinful. We are all separated from God by our sin. But God loves us anyway so we don't end up separated from God.

So if sin ultimately separate us from God then why do we have to repent and ask for forgiveness? If God is going to bring us back to him anyway then it doesn't really matter how we live.

"Did you go to confession?"

"No why should I bother? I will be saved by grace. What does it matter if I ask for forgiveness for some of my sins? There would be plenty of sins that I forget about or don't ask forgiveness for. We are all undeserving but we will all be saved in the end. That is the miracle of "grace"!"

"Yes but your heart is wrong."

"Is it? We all fall short. All of us have our heart wrong at the end. That is why we are saved by grace!!!"

------------------

And here's something from a Christian forum. This is a real debate between two Christians (http://carm.org/we-must-keep-law-order-be-saved)

Matt: Must we keep the commandments of God to be saved?
Larry: Yes, you must.
Matt: Okay, then may I ask which commandments we must keep in order to become saved?
Larry: All of them.
Matt: Are you keeping all the commandments?
Larry: I strive.
Matt: Excuse me, but if you are striving, that means you are not keeping them all. Then doesn't that mean you are not saved?
Larry: Why not let God judge?
Matt: But, if you must keep all the commandments to be saved, and you are not keeping them, then doesn't that mean you aren't saved?
Larry: Rahab lied to hide the spies, did she perish for lying?
Matt: Are you saying it was okay for Rahab to lie? After all, if she did and she didn't go to hell, then she stayed saved without keeping the commandments.
Larry: That's right.
Matt: But isn't that a contradiction? You said you must keep the commandments and yet she did not and she is saved. So which is it? Must we keep the commandments to be saved or not?
Larry: Go search out the book of the Lord and read.
Matt: Are we justified by faith or by keeping the commandments?
Larry: I already showed you the truth that Rahab lied and was JUSTIFIED for her faith,
Matt: I know, but please be patient with me. Was Rahab's lie NOT a sin?
Larry: No, it was not sin.
Matt: If the Bible says to not lie and she lied, how could it not be a sin?
Larry: Rahab was justified by faith. If you don't understand that, all I can say is that that is what the scriptures say. If you say that the scriptures contradict themselves, it appears so. But I do not believe so.
Matt: So then, the lie of Rahab was not a lie?
Larry: My advice to you is to pray about it and to ask the Lord to open it up to you.
Matt: Are we justified by the law then?
Larry: Look at what justified Abraham in James 2, but we are not justified by keeping the law. But Rahab, look at what Rahab did. She lied to save others and she was still justified.
Matt: Are you saying that it is okay to lie depending on the situation?
Larry: Yes, I am.
Matt: Please excuse me, but it sounds like you are saying that grace allows us to sin since you said it was okay to lie depending on the situation.
Larry: They said Paul was saying that too, but he wasn't any more than me. They said Paul preached "let us sin that grace may abound." No, he didn't teach sin that grace may abound, but he DID SAY that some said he said it.
Matt: I see what you are typing Larry, but, I can't help but think that you are saying it is okay to lie, depending on the circumstance, because the grace of God allows us to. Is that right?
Larry: You are saved by grace, and grace teaches, and you must obey grace. Preachers today are teaching people to sin by teaching Luther and Calvin.
Matt: But, isn't grace that which is not of the law?
RE: The holes in religion are like those in a time travel movie.
Theres no ''hole'' in God's gracious forgiveness of repentant sinners.

The convo goes like this...

Matt - it's wrong to sin.
Larry - I know
Matt - did you sin?
Larry - yep.
Matt - then you're going to hell.
Larry - yes but....''“If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.” 1 John 1:9

Sin is not a terminal illness. Eternal life is available to anyone who wants it. John 3:16
All this is missing is the cast of MST3K.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
(January 6, 2013 at 10:22 pm)Lion IRC Wrote: Theres no ''hole'' in God's gracious forgiveness of repentant sinners.

Larry - I know
Matt - did you sin?
Larry - yep.
Larry - yes but....''“If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.” 1 John 1:9

Sin is not a terminal illness. Eternal life is available to anyone who wants it. John 3:16

You are going to hell if you don't confess all of you sins?

John 3:16 says:

God gave his only begotten son that whoever believes what he taught might not parish but have eternal life.
(January 6, 2013 at 10:22 pm)Lion IRC Wrote: Theres no ''hole'' in God's gracious forgiveness of repentant sinners.

Larry - I know
Matt - did you sin?
Larry - yep.

What sort of justice is that anyways? Would you offer yourself to go to jail for a murderer's crime?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
(January 6, 2013 at 11:40 pm)RichardP Wrote: You are going to hell if you don't confess all of you sins?

God gave his only begotten son that whoever believes what he taught might not parish but have eternal life.

Paraphrasing scripture can get messy.
Here. NIV

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

John 3 coupled with 1 John 3 make for very powerful teaching about a) Forgiveness of sin and b) What will keep you from sinning.

Constant threats @ sinners about damnation and hellfire isnt what keeps us from away from sin - its what keeps us away from church.
It's the "jesus" bit that keeps me away from church Lion. I actually enjoy the hellfire sermons, they're hilarious.
(plus I think the people attending are assholes....so I guess that's a deterrent as well)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
What I find comical about my church is the hypocrisy in everyone's life after they're done with their hour and a half of True Christian™ time on a Sunday morning.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
(January 7, 2013 at 12:18 am)Lion IRC Wrote:
(January 6, 2013 at 11:40 pm)RichardP Wrote: You are going to hell if you don't confess all of you sins?

Paraphrasing scripture can get messy.
Here. NIV

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

John 3 coupled with 1 John 3 make for very powerful teaching about a) Forgiveness of sin and b) What will keep you from sinning.

Constant threats @ sinners about damnation and hellfire isnt what keeps us from away from sin - its what keeps us away from church.

There are different versions.

Here is the International Standard Version

"For this is how God loved the world: He gave his unique Son so that everyone who believes in him might not be lost but have eternal life."

Then there is the Douay-Rheims Bible (Catholic)

"For God so loved the world, as to give his only begotten Son; that whosoever believeth in him, may not perish, but may have life everlasting."

And here is the American Standard Version from my Greek study bible

"For God so loved he world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life."

**The word "belief" was originally from the Greek word Pisteuo. My Greek study Bible explains that it means "To believe in or on Christ implying knowledge or assent to and confidence in."

And you will notice the various wording "might not be lost", "may not perish", "should not perish". Not quite so strong as "shall not perish". Hmmmm...

Larry - I know
Matt - did you sin?
Larry - yep.

Yep, you can steal and lie and fornicate and be a general arsehole all you r life, but just say you're sorry at the end and booya! you're in heaven.

[Image: tumblr_lljrkaMKMa1qbvukdo1_400.jpg&sa=X&...dfoirDe1KA]
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rcent Christian Movie Ratings TheJefe817 9 823 April 23, 2023 at 11:24 am
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  The false miracle of Fatima now a movie Foxaèr 17 1650 September 6, 2020 at 2:03 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Who goes to hell - as far as those pious Bible Christians are concerned? Dundee 71 6593 June 14, 2020 at 12:41 pm
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Just Look at all Those Fulfilled Prophecies! YahwehIsTheWay 37 5692 December 6, 2018 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Those Theists Willie23 50 5345 May 21, 2018 at 2:23 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Irational fear of hell still naggs me from time to time Arsoo 103 27870 November 9, 2017 at 1:53 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  For Those Who'd Like To Read It. Minimalist 7 1269 December 29, 2016 at 7:42 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Do I sound like the "devil" to you? My mother thinks I speak like the devil... ReptilianPeon 60 9295 July 6, 2016 at 6:03 pm
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  Another retarded religious movie. Foxaèr 7 1109 June 16, 2016 at 2:32 am
Last Post: Alex K
  This Movie Needs A Guy and Two Robots Making Fun Of It Minimalist 7 1497 June 7, 2016 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye