Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone here trade the financial markets ?
Anyone here trade the financial markets ?
What platforms do you use ? 
What do you trade ?
What timeframes do you trade ? 
Any favorite indicators ? 
What percent of your trades are profitable ?
Do you make your living trading ? 
Do you use a US broker or a foreign broker ? 
If you use a foreign broker do you have security arrangements in place that guarantee your funds ? 
What leverage do you use ?
Every religion is true one way or another. It is true when understood metaphorically. But when it gets stuck in its own metaphors, interpreting them as facts, then you are in trouble. - Joseph Campbell  Popcorn

Militant Atheist Commie Evolutionist 
RE: Anyone here trade the financial markets ?
I have a broker. I'm not qualified to move my tinsel; my training is in another direction. My retirement IRA has grown about 65% in 8 years. I don't pay attention to the profit/loss aspect of it, that's what I'm paying my broker for. Obviously, it's a net upward trend.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
I trade the 20 second / 5 second charts.
Only with certain volumes in Level-2 numbers.
It's very profitable, but ... you have to pay close attention, and spend the time to watch.
Doh.

Tongue

Another question for the OP.
Do you use EA's (automated trading), and / or have you developed your own EA's ?
Every religion is true one way or another. It is true when understood metaphorically. But when it gets stuck in its own metaphors, interpreting them as facts, then you are in trouble. - Joseph Campbell  Popcorn

I've been trading in a self-administered online account for about seven years, mostly ETFs and bonds. I cashed out all my profitable holdings a few months ago and moved them into GICs at my credit union (kind of hard to resist a guaranteed 5% return, and I prefer the credit union to the bank where I have the online account).

All I have left is a handful of bonds that are currently "underwater" but bringing in dividends. I take a peek at them every week or so, and if they go to the "profit" side of the ledger they'll be cashed out. Currently debating whether to leave them where they are, or move them to a different online brokerage.
I had a little fun with crypto a couple years back but otherwise I contribute to my 401k and try not to think about it. Overall returns on day trading is actually lower than throwing X% of your income into an index fund and forgetting about it for 30 years. Regarding brokers, my understanding is that, for most, a broker is a waste of money who is stealing a greater percentage of your funds than they're worth. But idk YMMV.

I'm also 27 and I don't think retirement is a sincere possibility for my generation so that affects my perspective lol
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
I think crypto brokers are a huge rip-off, so I won't touch them.
My broker charges me 0.01 - 0.02 points spread on the currency pair I trade.
When my volumes are high enough they will set it at even less.

I'll trade you a hamburger today for a hamburger tomorrow.
US, ag commodities, hobby/benefit. I make more money guessing about grain than growing tomatos and chickens, and I do the second thing for a living. My best year, I had the equivalent of 16k acres of corn. They sold every bushel for top dollar....and I'm still poor. OTOH, I get to brag about good bets.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 20, 2023 at 11:51 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: US, ag commodities, hobby/benefit.  I make more money guessing about grain than growing tomatos and chickens, and I do the second thing for a living.  My best year, I had the equivalent of 16k acres of corn.  They sold every bushel for top dollar....and I'm still poor.  OTOH, I get to brag about good bets.

Ag commodities are next on my list. With so many being totally weather dependent and with annual cycles, it will be a good "other thing" from the 
totally dollar dependent manic moves of currencies. It's nice to trade six to eight times in a morning and be done when the European session closes, totally closed out. 
I'm starting to watch the Loonie (Canadian dollar) as so much of it's value is oil, (vs the US dollar), and the brokerage spreads are not too bad. It's kind of boring, but has very predictable stable intraday trends, as oil moves but not all that fast.

I tell people all the time, ag com is a series of short term high risk low intro investments. If you're okay with losing 50 bucks...then you're okay with losing three acres of mainline production. Last year, the ag com average was $14/acre. L....O....L.

Its a total mystery why our economy is wonky...I mean....who will ever figure it out..... End of the day, I'm a fundamentally risk averse investor. I like to put a dollar in a safe place. You never lose money on US coms, but you don't make much money either. It's all in the margins. If the margins are better than a CD then buy. If they aren't. Fuck-em. Wealth by the numbers...slowly.

-for reference - The Wife and I have made about 70k investing 30k over the last 20 years. It's nowhere near the best returns, but it works for us, we're satisfied. We've ended up with more than we started with, and at the bottom end of investing you really do pay alot in fees and taxes. I'm guessing other people made more aggressive moves. The rest of our income is pass-through.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any financial guru's here? Brian37 108 6917 March 12, 2020 at 8:38 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Anyone here try reddit? Atomic Lava 8 1001 November 15, 2019 at 8:12 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  COKE HERE, GET YOUR COKE HERE.... Brian37 7 980 March 3, 2019 at 8:16 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Anyone here know London or Berlin? shadow 17 4322 February 1, 2018 at 4:59 pm
Last Post: shadow
  Markets and bubbles, a thread for investors. Jackalope 12 985 January 5, 2018 at 3:59 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Is there anyone here that is NOT depressed? KUSA 135 18234 April 9, 2014 at 7:00 pm
Last Post: sven
  Someone want to trade families?? festive1 23 4675 October 5, 2012 at 5:36 pm
Last Post: festive1
  Anyone else here a Weird Al fan? Brian37 15 4631 May 29, 2012 at 6:54 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Anyone here interested in the nature of the self ? Whateverist 0 1209 July 24, 2011 at 1:21 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Anyone here been on Yahoo Answers R&S section? Jax 3 1860 May 21, 2011 at 4:30 am
Last Post: Violet