Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 11:53 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone here interested in the nature of the self ?
Anyone here interested in the nature of the self ?
I didn't find a forum for this so I assumed "off topic" was the way to go. The topic may be of interest to those like myself who are more interested in why anyone still embraces religion than they are in whether magic beings exist, etc.

When we're young there is tendency to believe that that which we decide to do/be is all there is to us. With time we usually bump up against some cold hard fact about ourselves which won't go along with our wishes. Here is an example of what I mean. I was young when the book "Open Marriage" came out and intellectually it made total sense to me. So when I got married that was the package we went with. It turned out not to be comfortable for me. I know, I was insecure yada yada yada. But I don't think that was all there was to it. For me, an open marriage wasn't and never will be a good fit. I remember being so surprised by this lack of coherence between what made sense to me intellectually and the actual experience.

Any particular example will probably be inadequate but if you engage in any kind of creative activity you might consider where inspiration comes from. This is pretty subjective but I suspect most of us who do so would not describe it as a rational activity. Yet there it is and sometimes it can be quite moving for reasons we have to discover, not as a result of any deliberate intent we had while creating it.

It has always seemed to me relevant to make a distinction between "talent" and the access we have to it. Now maybe that access is like yoga, a kind of discipline to be mastered. Certainly there is an aspect of that. But there is, I think, also a sense in which access can be given or denied at a deeper level of self, like writer's block. I think of this as the need to maintain coherence between ones conscious intentions and those motivations which act at a deeper, unconscious level.

Sometimes I think that, at its best, religious experience taps into the deeper self. How else do we explain rational, accomplished christians who admit that all church doctrine is fallible and accept science as our best understanding of the natural world. I've copied something below which I wrote on another post here to see if anyone else here has these questions.

"While I don't think a 'god' has anything to do with it, I know there are dimensions of human experience more profound than rationality. That too is unprovable, and I wouldn't try. I suspect that, while hardly necessary, religious thought can tap into an experience of the deeper self. There is a sense of otherness about this deeper self in that it is what it is independent of what your would have it be. Sometimes I think this dimension of experience is merely our animal knowing, the intelligence and intentionality that all mammals at least possess but which we become alienated to by our reliance on language. I don't know but I do know that life without coherence between my rational self and deeper self isn't enough. To the degree that the religiously inclined use religion to seek and accomplish such coherence, I can't find fault. When someone like Bill Moyers talks about god you can tell that for him it really is something mysterious, that he isn't starting with a lot of doctrinal presuppositions. I would really enjoy talking to that sort of theist."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone here trade the financial markets ? Bucky Ball 15 846 August 22, 2023 at 7:00 am
Last Post: paulpablo
  Anyone here try reddit? Atomic Lava 8 1001 November 15, 2019 at 8:12 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  COKE HERE, GET YOUR COKE HERE.... Brian37 7 980 March 3, 2019 at 8:16 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Self entitled meaningless rant. Brian37 4 753 October 22, 2018 at 12:44 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Anyone here know London or Berlin? shadow 17 4322 February 1, 2018 at 4:59 pm
Last Post: shadow
  It's Not Nice To Fool With Mother Nature Minimalist 5 901 September 17, 2017 at 12:58 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Low self esteem, feelings of worthlessness, and lack of purpose Catholic_Lady 63 9069 August 2, 2017 at 3:13 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  Self Wipe Toilet Tissue Aid KUSA 112 32951 May 13, 2017 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Self-Identities as a Mermaid Neo-Scholastic 15 1969 January 18, 2017 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Dear Mother Nature. ignoramus 16 1675 May 7, 2016 at 9:58 am
Last Post: robvalue