Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 6:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help needed with essay on atheism
Help needed with essay on atheism
I'm writing an essay about atheism and belief in god / religion. I'm not an atheist nor am I a believer in god. Basically I'm on the fence, and until now it's not something that I've given much thought to, hence why I feel the need to ask both sides. For the belief in god / religion part of the essay, I've begun asking believers and religious people about their views, and for the atheism part I'm here to ask about atheism.

So, any input will be appreciated. Thanks.
RE: Help needed with essay on atheism
(April 22, 2011 at 7:02 pm)Garmston Ansell Wrote: I'm writing an essay about atheism and belief in god / religion. I'm not an atheist nor am I a believer in god. Basically I'm on the fence, and until now it's not something that I've given much thought to, hence why I feel the need to ask both sides. For the belief in god / religion part of the essay, I've begun asking believers and religious people about their views, and for the atheism part I'm here to ask about atheism.
Hi there. What is the actual question you want answers to?
No specific questions at the moment. Just general views or whatever.
(April 22, 2011 at 7:12 pm)Garmston Ansell Wrote: No specific questions at the moment. Just general views or whatever.
Interesting methodology...but anyway, best of luck with your essay. Smile
(April 22, 2011 at 7:12 pm)Garmston Ansell Wrote: No specific questions at the moment. Just general views or whatever.

We don't really have 'general views' atheists are only commonly tied by our generalized rejection of religious faith and supernatural entities.
If today you can take a thing like evolution and make it a crime to teach in the public schools, tomorrow you can make it a crime to teach it in the private schools and next year you can make it a crime to teach it to the hustings or in the church. At the next session you may ban books and the newspapers...
Ignorance and fanaticism are ever busy and need feeding. Always feeding and gloating for more. Today it is the public school teachers; tomorrow the private. The next day the preachers and the lecturers, the magazines, the books, the newspapers. After a while, Your Honor, it is the setting of man against man and creed against creed until with flying banners and beating drums we are marching backward to the glorious ages of the sixteenth centry when bigots lighted fagots to burn the men who dared to bring any intelligence and enlightenment and culture to the human mind. ~Clarence Darrow, at the Scopes Monkey Trial, 1925

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. ~Ronald Reagan

Well....as an atheist, I lack belief in god as you would know and anything religious/superstitious. Atheism is the response to the claim "god exists" ect. Theists believe in a god, atheists do not. Couldn't be any simpler.
Atheism has nothing to do with anything at all. It's just lack of belief in god or gods, and/or claiming there is no god. In each case, no belief in god.
Anything else you wish to know?Big Grin
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
(April 22, 2011 at 7:21 pm)TheDarkestOfAngels Wrote:

We don't really have 'general views' atheists are only commonly tied by our generalized rejection of religious faith and supernatural entities.
Ed Zachery! We have one thing in common, a lack of stamp collecting. I have atheistic friends who live in a bunker while they wait for civilization to collapse and others who live on thousand acre ranches in Wyoming, where they raise muskoxen for a hobby.
(April 22, 2011 at 7:22 pm)Ace Otana Wrote:

Well....as an atheist, I lack belief in god as you would know and anything religious/superstitious. Atheism is the response to the claim "god exists" ect. Theists believe in a god, atheists do not. Couldn't be any simpler.
Atheism has nothing to do with anything at all. It's just lack of belief in god or gods, and/or claiming there is no god. In each case, no belief in god.
Anything else you wish to know?Big Grin

Yes, would you say that most atheists are pretty much the same or different with regard to their attitude to theism?
(April 22, 2011 at 7:26 pm)Garmston Ansell Wrote: Yes, would you say that most atheists are pretty much the same or different with regard to their attitude to theism?

Well, atheists can behave differently. Some are more aggressive towards religion, some would rather avoid than confront. Depends on the person. Atheists agree with one thing all the time, no belief in god. Everything else is up for debate, even between atheists of the same (as you say) attitude towards theism.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
(April 22, 2011 at 7:31 pm)Ace Otana Wrote:
(April 22, 2011 at 7:26 pm)Garmston Ansell Wrote: Yes, would you say that most atheists are pretty much the same or different with regard to their attitude to theism?

Well, atheists can behave differently. Some are more aggressive towards religion, some would rather avoid than confront. Depends on the person. Atheists agree with one thing all the time, no belief in god. Everything else is up for debate, even between atheists of the same (as you say) attitude towards theism.

Is there a specific reason for the aggression?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An Essay about Atheism in Latin FlatAssembler 151 13111 September 9, 2021 at 12:57 am
Last Post: Gerals
  My essay about afterlife in Latin FlatAssembler 2 561 December 28, 2020 at 1:10 pm
Last Post: brewer
  HELP NEEDED Jesus Cristo 15 2168 October 9, 2017 at 12:24 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27067 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  On Defining Atheism: An Essay Manalive 46 9732 August 22, 2015 at 6:22 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Answers needed Louis Chérubin 188 32836 July 6, 2015 at 11:45 am
Last Post: Joko
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12448 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12120 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Atheism not needed for a life of greater value/pleasure Mozart Link 24 5952 June 10, 2014 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10462 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0