Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Going to church for family events?
Going to church for family events?
Hey there new member here,

Long story short...
I am in conflict

I am a very strong atheist, in the past i have always gone to friends/families events at churches and although it has bothered me i have done it out of politeness or respect.

Most recently, i went to my Step-brothers wedding and put up with it.

But now they're about to have their new daughter christened.

The wedding was one thing as they are both consenting adults but i can't agree on any level with christening a child that has no choice in the matter.
I feel like i might be at the age/conviction level to actually not go.

Where do others stand on visiting churches for these things?

Your opinions very much appreciated
RE: Going to church for family events?
If you don't feel comfortable going to the christening then I for one would simply not go. My reason would be that I do not agree with the indoctrination of an innocent infant into a mythological belief system.

However, it doesn't matter whether you go or not. The problem is that this child may be brought up in an environment of superstition and delusion.

The best thing that you can do is to take the role of rationality and to ensure your little niece always has both sides of the argument and never accepts things on 'faith'.

And welcome to the forum... Smile
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Thankyou for the response

I am always keen to avoid offending people, especially those i see regularly
If you are not being offensive then you can't offend people. If they take offense then the problem lies with them, however, it is always best to tread carefully and tailor your responses accordingly.

This all depends upon just how religious your step-brother and wife actually are and if they are having a Christening simply because it seems like the normal thing to do or because they are deeply religious.

Where on the scale would you say they are?
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
(February 5, 2009 at 10:36 am)Darwinian Wrote: If you are not being offensive then you can't offend people.

True.

I'm don't know really, i'm pretty sure they go to church on sundays but that could be me remembering them having to go to be allowed to get married where they did.
The marriage represented more than a religious ceremony. The christening, however, is solely a religious ritual. If you don't want to go watch or participate by supporting them, in my opinion that is totally understandable. I can't say how I would handle their reactions since I don't know how/if they are likely to react to or confront you about your absence. My brother is getting married soon, but in a Mormon temple, so I can't attend even if I'd wanted to. Lucky me!
(February 5, 2009 at 10:50 am)IamAwake Wrote: The marriage represented more than a religious ceremony. The christening, however, is solely a religious ritual.

I didn't really consider that, it is a very good point!
Weddings and funerals are the only reasons I would go to a church. I find baptism to be a very offensive sacrament so I would never go to one, no matter how close a friend is. I would also not go to a confirmation. I have an 11 year old sister who will begin confirmation in a few years, if she decides to go through with it I would not attend.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
I think most of the points have already been made but, unless you have a reason to keep your beleifs a secret I don't think anyone will be offended in any way that lasts. they might think they are for a little while but, little more.

In my experience they will find ways to get you there later anyways, two cases being a wedding that was 1% wedding 99% worship service and a preschool event same thing but, I left the moment my nephew was done his show.
http://ca.youtube.com/user/DemonAuraProductions - Check out my videos if you have spare time.
Agnostic
Atheist
I Evolved!
(February 5, 2009 at 9:57 am)Greenbeast Wrote: Hey there new member here,

Long story short...
I am in conflict

I am a very strong atheist, in the past i have always gone to friends/families events at churches and although it has bothered me i have done it out of politeness or respect.

Most recently, i went to my Step-brothers wedding and put up with it.

But now they're about to have their new daughter christened.

The wedding was one thing as they are both consenting adults but i can't agree on any level with christening a child that has no choice in the matter.
I feel like i might be at the age/conviction level to actually not go.

Where do others stand on visiting churches for these things?

Your opinions very much appreciated

I would probably go if I liked the parents and wanted to keep that friendship. But I would also make it crystal clear what I thought about the indoctrination of an infant into the ways of superstition.
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Family is always asking me to come to religious celebrations Tomatoshadow2 25 1827 April 11, 2023 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Standing up to family for what you believe in Tomatoshadow2 30 2389 May 4, 2022 at 9:20 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Family not accepting you're an Atheist UniverseCaptain 45 5359 October 28, 2021 at 12:51 am
Last Post: slartibartfast
  People are not 'Going to Hell' - they're already in Hell. The Kreisel 22 2381 February 18, 2021 at 9:31 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Thanksgiving and Family BrokenQuill92 18 3150 December 7, 2019 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: mordant
  Yeah, not going to happen!! Mystic 29 4757 October 18, 2018 at 2:49 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  How are you going to commit to the war on Christmas? Fidel_Castronaut 108 25884 January 4, 2018 at 2:40 pm
Last Post: Mr.Obvious
  How religious or nonreligious is your family? Casca 44 4329 December 30, 2016 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: camlov2019
  I Walked Away From Christianity, but How do I Walk Away From My Family? Rhondazvous 14 2811 October 31, 2016 at 2:57 am
Last Post: AceBoogie
  Closet Atheist Coming Out and Telling Family and Friends You're An Atheist Cholley71 10 7034 September 27, 2016 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Minimalist