Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A View on Atheist
A View on Atheist
I must admit, that when I first joined this Forum it was shortly after reading 'The God Delusion' by Richard Dawkins. I was amazed by how much of a rant this book was. The only book of I have read that has a similar style is Mein Kampf by Adolf Hitler! I began to wonder if all atheists held such a viciferous view.

Since that time, in this Forum, I have come across, what I would call Fundamentalist Atheists (and some that prefer not to use a civil tone). But I have noticed that fundamentalists seem to exist in all walks of life. Apart from these, however, I have discovered another group of, what I would term, more moderate Atheists and from these I have had a great discussion and learned much. Relative to this group, my own agnostic position is but a hairs breadth different from their's. The outcome of the discussion can be distilled into the following statements:

'There is no empirical evidence that currently exists to support the notion that God exists, therefore, I do not believe in God'
'There is no empirical evidence that currently exists to support the notion that God exists, therefore, God's existence is unlikely'

I tend to the latter statement, moderate atheists seem to prefer the former. The distinction is small but subtly different. The first statement is, at a shade, slightly more closed than the second. I prefer the second since it most accurately reflects the facts as they stand and , at a shade, is more open minded than the first phrase.

RE: A View on Atheist
Put another way, god's existence is so unlikely I don't believe he/she/it exists.
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
Comparing Mein Kampf to God Delusion is not going to get you any point there. Though I didn't agree with what he said I would go as far as to compare it with the racist bigotry that is in Mein Kampf.

'There is no empirical evidence that currently exists to support the notion that God exists, therefore, I do not believe in God'
'There is no empirical evidence that currently exists to support the notion that God exists, therefore, God's existence is unlikely'

So you find yourself having a thought there maybe a God while you believe it be unlikely? While the others believe it to say god doesn't exist. Why does it matter? So you can find solace in a hint of the possibility of God existing?
I call Godwin's law on this one!
Based on his previous posts, he uses special pleading as well as the argumentum ad populum.
So far his arguments have held no water.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
First of it depends on what God you are talking about. I wholly dismiss the chance of any specific God man has created as being completely impossible. I hold a slight chance that some sort of impersonal God, such as the one deist describe, exists but not much.

Second, the first sentence is not being closed minded, it is simply a statement based on the probability of a God existing. If I were to ask you to guess a ten digit sequence of numbers, the chance of you guessing the same one I am thinking of are incredibly small. Therefore, I can say with relative certainty, that you will not guess that sequence correctly. Is there a chance you could? Sure, but not enough to keep an open mind to possibility of it happening.

Also, the second sentence is not more open minded, it is just that you seem to have come to a different conclusion on the probability of a God existing. You keep coming off as if somehow holding onto the likelihood of a God existing makes you more enlightened than everyone else, which makes you no different from the fundamentalists you claim are so wrong.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
What difference does it make? You believe it unlikely that god exists. Atheists believe it either impossible or so unlikely as to be easily dismissed as a viable belief. Either way, you cannot take that one subtle difference and say there are fundamentalist atheists. While I do think that some atheists are forceful, that does not make them wrong. You could say, "these atheists are a little forceful," but you cannot compare them to fundamentalist Christians who base their entire lives on faith in the highly unlikely. In short, you jumped from A to C without giving me a B. What makes these atheists "fundamentalists," apart from your own dislike for bad language?

Mein Kampf is hate literature, as Eternity pointed out. It was written by a man who was driven insane in his lust for power. While I don't claim to read atheist literature, as the topic really shouldn't be broadened more than necessary as it creates confusion among fundies, I find it highly unlikely that the God Delusion is written by a madman who wants to kill millions of people.
It's a value thing. To believe in any gods, I first would have to hold a reason to. For this to occur, I would have to have his existence demonstrated to me. And for that: I would have to not recognize the inaccuracies even I am capable of Heart
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(June 3, 2011 at 3:31 pm)Eternity Wrote: Comparing Mein Kampf to God Delusion is not going to get you any point there. Though I didn't agree with what he said I would go as far as to compare it with the racist bigotry that is in Mein Kampf.

So you find yourself having a thought there maybe a God while you believe it be unlikely? While the others believe it to say god doesn't exist. Why does it matter? So you can find solace in a hint of the possibility of God existing?
Diffidus:

I knew mentioning Mein Kampf may cause some confusion. If you look carefully at what I said, I made no reference to the content of either book, I was refering to the style in which they are both written (a hubristic rant),. I agree with you that, if we are talking about the subject, then there is no comparison - Mein Kampf is filth.

I do not find solace in the fact that a God may exist. In fact, since I am rather lapsed in the religious department, it would be somewhat frightening. No, I just like to align my views as closely to the facts as they exist at this moment in time.

(June 3, 2011 at 3:39 pm)FaithNoMore Wrote: First of it depends on what God you are talking about. I wholly dismiss the chance of any specific God man has created as being completely impossible. I hold a slight chance that some sort of impersonal God, such as the one deist describe, exists but not much.

Second, the first sentence is not being closed minded, it is simply a statement based on the probability of a God existing. If I were to ask you to guess a ten digit sequence of numbers, the chance of you guessing the same one I am thinking of are incredibly small. Therefore, I can say with relative certainty, that you will not guess that sequence correctly. Is there a chance you could? Sure, but not enough to keep an open mind to possibility of it happening.

Also, the second sentence is not more open minded, it is just that you seem to have come to a different conclusion on the probability of a God existing. You keep coming off as if somehow holding onto the likelihood of a God existing makes you more enlightened than everyone else, which makes you no different from the fundamentalists you claim are so wrong.

Diffidus:

I would certainly keep an open mind that someone could possibly guess a sequence of 10 numbers.

Fundamentalism, for me, is a word that applies to someone who knows the answer even when the information to provide the answer is not available. In the case of Christians, they believe that God exists but they base it on pure faith and are not interested in facts. In the case of fundamentalist atheists, they believe that God does not exist and have closed their mind to the possibility even though they may actually be wrong.
Doofus and his godwin are no suprise to me. Claims we are "fundy atheist" then claims that Richard Dawkins (of all people) writes in the style of Mein Kampf.

Difidus..you are a fucking tool.

The ignore button is looking more and more tempting for this one. My time is precious, and I dont waste it on the exagerated ranting of idiots.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb POLL: As an Atheist, What Do You View as Being the Most Rational Political Outlook? Engel 124 35404 June 1, 2022 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Atheists, whats your view on "Stefan Molyneux" Aneiu1 1 566 November 13, 2021 at 7:36 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Best argument for Atheism in my view Kimoev 29 3939 September 5, 2019 at 10:37 am
Last Post: Vince
  The Christian view of life being superior to the Atheist one Dolorian 16 3379 October 26, 2014 at 7:55 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Christians please view this all the way through Manowar 0 958 February 27, 2014 at 1:32 pm
Last Post: Manowar
  A better way to view atheists. Brian37 5 1728 November 11, 2013 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: freedomfromforum
  Atheist view on formation of... That guy who asked questions 18 6599 May 4, 2013 at 11:29 am
Last Post: That guy who asked questions
  another point of view SON OF FALCON 10 3272 July 3, 2012 at 10:58 am
Last Post: Thor
  View: Atheists should stop joking about Satan NoMoreFaith 63 21206 March 11, 2012 at 10:38 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Request a reply to a Christian's view of Christopher Hitchens Forsaken 25 7550 December 20, 2011 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda