Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 4:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions for Athiests/Agnostics
Questions for Athiests/Agnostics
I'd like to ask something that has come up to mind. We know that Science is thing that changes due to what is known at the time and is observable right? Now since you all consider Religion to be BS. Do you blame those that followed Religion seeing as they don't have the "scientific truth" that is known now? Also if you were in that time how could you be any different?
And in heaven is your Sustenance, as (also) that which ye are promised - Surah Adh-Dhariyat
RE: Questions for Athiests/Agnostics
If I'm following the question correctly the answer is "no."

I assume that had Thomas Jefferson lived today he would be as much of an atheist as Hitchens or Dawkins but no one can blame him for clinging to the inane idea of creation because in the late 18th/early 19th century no one understood much if anything about astrophysics, evolution or genetics.

However, people who cling to fairy tales today when science has shown them to be thus are a different story. Remember religion asks no questions because it arrogantly thinks it already has all the answers.

The answer to part II is most likely not. If a mind like Jefferson's couldn't wean himself off of fantasy I have no illusions that I would have been able to either.
Then you shouldn't blame the theist as well should you? Seeing as they didn't get the chance to see this "Scientific truth" that is now known. If by your notion that science disapprove religion of course.
And in heaven is your Sustenance, as (also) that which ye are promised - Surah Adh-Dhariyat
no... i use to be a christian.... its easy to believe that when you put your head on the pillow at night, that there is a god who is making sure a meteor doesnt kill you Smile... sorry i dont understand the second question Smile
"You know, I know this steak doesn't exist. I know that when I put it in my mouth, the Matrix is telling my brain that it is juicy and delicious. After nine years, you know what I realize? Ignorance is bliss." -Cypher (the matrix)
(June 7, 2011 at 12:02 am)Eternity Wrote: Then you shouldn't blame the theist as well should you? Seeing as they didn't get the chance to see this "Scientific truth" that is now known. If by your notion that science disapprove religion of course.

Um....were all their mothers frightened by books when they were born? I'd find that an amazing coincidence.

Is there something or someone stopping them from learning about science in the 21st century? If the answer is "yes" then they can't be blamed. But no one has that kind of power anymore.

(June 7, 2011 at 12:00 am)Minimalist Wrote:

What exactly has science shown me about religion? I didn't know there was a dichotomy there? Nor was I aware that religion, in whole or part, asks no questions. How could they provide answers without having a question? While I can conceed that a popularly exagerated majority of Christianity probably think less about the how and why they believe; That still doesn't mean they don't ask those questions ever. And the amount of deconverted Christians to atheism should be a testament that Religion (Christianity in this context) doesn't have all the answers.

"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
Asks no questions? Religion does ask questions and answers them as well. This isn't a statement religion you know? The teacher(god) allows questions from he's students(Humans).
(June 7, 2011 at 3:55 am)Eternity Wrote: Asks no questions? Religion does ask questions and answers them as well. This isn't a statement religion you know? The teacher(god) allows questions from he's students(Humans).

Larry answered only one of mine, and it was answered by his death.

The answer was very fascinating, I agree. And I won't be answering that same question if it is at all possible.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(June 7, 2011 at 12:02 am)Eternity Wrote: Then you shouldn't blame the theist as well should you? Seeing as they didn't get the chance to see this "Scientific truth" that is now known. If by your notion that science disapprove religion of course.

In times past (before the knowledge discovered by science) religion seemed to have the best answers. To the man in the street at least.

But since then human knowledge has moved on, leaving religions "revealed" knowledge behind.

To believe now in things like creationism et al when ALL the evidence says otherwise is to to be wilfully ignorant.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
One perhaps can't blame the theists of the past, though there were plenty of atheists then too, but the theists of today are looking ever more ridiculous, as science rolls back the areas of human ignorance.

I would have hoped to be a free thinker if I lived in the past, but I can't say I would have been for definite.
[Image: bloodyheretic.png]

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds."
Einstein

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down happy. They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life.

- John Lennon

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Atheists and Agnostics that have child Eclectic 11 1184 August 28, 2022 at 3:36 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  All kind of Agnostics people Eclectic 4 507 August 25, 2022 at 5:24 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Atheists, what are your thoughts on us Agnostics? NuclearEnergy 116 26996 November 30, 2017 at 12:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Athiests are bitter? Soldat Du Christ 60 11808 April 14, 2017 at 2:06 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Agnostics Excited Penguin 398 35005 August 8, 2016 at 12:27 am
Last Post: wiploc
  christian looking to understand athiests msid 212 34564 August 21, 2015 at 10:38 am
Last Post: Mr Greene
  A question for all you converted athiests! coolfunkDJ 53 9024 March 1, 2015 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: Regina
  Rant against anti-atheist agnostics. Whateverist 338 57829 February 21, 2015 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: comet
Question To Agnostics, question for you *Deidre* 66 18500 March 16, 2014 at 1:20 pm
Last Post: Bittersmart
  Ages of Athiests themonkeyman 88 27008 October 8, 2013 at 9:11 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72