Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question to theists
Question to theists
If we presume that instead of hell God erases rebels, can you still provide legit reason to follow Magical God?
RE: Question to theists
Because I think belief in God is true
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(June 7, 2018 at 4:58 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Because I think belief in God is true
If we remove hell from the equation as well as heaven because it's just a bribe. What's left?

I don't get it from pragmatic point of view.
Another example of a fundamental disconnect.  Many believers think that the reason that people don;t follow their god is just that they don;t believe.   Maybe, if they did believe, those people would follow their god.

I believe that kim jong un exists.....ya still don;t see me worshiping the man.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(June 7, 2018 at 11:52 am)purplepurpose Wrote: If we presume that instead of hell God erases rebels, can you still provide legit reason to follow Magical God?

What do you mean that instead of hell God erases rebels?
"Alone is what I have. Alone protects me." 
“I may be on the side of the angels but don’t think for one second that I am one of them.”
“The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existence. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery each day."
Some believers...rightly uncomfortable with the idea that their god runs a perpetual torture playland for non-believers..propose that he simply snuffs out their lights..instead.

Murder being better than torture, for certain interpretations of "better"....and all that.

PPs question could be reduced to; If god (or his faithful) won;t compel by threat of eternal pain...how -do- they plan to compel?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(June 7, 2018 at 5:42 pm)KittyAnn Wrote:
(June 7, 2018 at 11:52 am)purplepurpose Wrote: If we presume that instead of hell God erases rebels, can you still provide legit reason to follow Magical God?

What do you mean that instead of hell God erases rebels?

Quote:Annihilationism (also known as extinctionism or destructionism[1]) is a belief that after the final judgment some human beings and all fallen angels (all of the damned) will be totally destroyed so as to not exist, or that their consciousness will be extinguished,[2] rather than suffer everlasting torment in hell (often synonymized with the lake of fire).

Annihilationism is directly related to the doctrine of conditional immortality, the idea that a human soul is not immortal unless it is given eternal life. Annihilationism asserts that God will eventually destroy the wicked, leaving only the righteous to live on in immortality. Some annihilationists (e.g. Seventh-day Adventists) believe God's love is scripturally described as an all-consuming fire[3] and that sinful creatures cannot exist in God's presence. Thus those who elect to reject salvation through their free will are eternally destroyed because of the inherent incompatibility of sin with God's holy character. Seventh-day Adventists posit that living in eternal hell is a false doctrine of pagan origin, as the Wicked will perish (as the Bible says) in the Lake of fire.[4][5][6][7] Jehovah’s Witnesses believe that there can be no punishment after death because the dead cease to exist.[8]

Annihilationism stands in contrast to both the traditional and long-standing belief in eternal torture in the lake of fire, and the belief that everyone will be saved (universal reconciliation or simply "universalism").

The belief in Annihilationism, has appeared throughout Christian history, but has always been in the minority.

Wikipedia || Annihilationism
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
To me, the answer seems bundled right into the question.  If you don;t do what god says....he;s going to kill you.
(June 7, 2018 at 6:09 pm)Khemikal Wrote: To me, the answer seems bundled right into the question.  If you don;t do what god says....he;s going to kill you.

Yet theistically, that's "good" parenting.
Meh, you know how it works with gods.  Up is down, black is white..etc etc etc.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Serious question about thoughts on theists Kingpin 118 6379 May 18, 2023 at 2:44 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  A simple question for theists masterofpuppets 86 20773 April 10, 2017 at 11:12 am
Last Post: emjay
  Question for Theists: The Proble with Thanking God Rhondazvous 43 8933 October 25, 2015 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Questions for theists (and ex-theists, too) Longhorn 15 4857 April 23, 2015 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: orangebox21
  Quick question to theists dyresand 26 4819 April 6, 2015 at 9:03 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Religious theists: question about your morality robvalue 24 4873 April 5, 2015 at 11:27 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  About other gods-question for theists vodkafan 130 21872 July 10, 2014 at 10:55 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  A Serious Question For Theists Severan 349 56015 June 24, 2014 at 7:30 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  Question to Theists reality.Mathematician 26 4823 June 18, 2014 at 1:29 pm
Last Post: zanOTK
  Theists: What makes your claims right and the claims of other theists wrong? Ryantology 29 8056 March 21, 2014 at 9:59 am
Last Post: Phatt Matt s