Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 11:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why don't people just make up their own religion?
Why don't people just make up their own religion?
I've never really understood any of this religious stuff, but I always wondered why people cling to a religion made up by somebody else? What if you don't like what will happen to you after you die? What if you didn't want to see jesus but just wanted to go to another place. Why does Christianity have a predetermined place for you to go when you die? Well since I live in america, wouldn't it be easier way out to just make up your own religion where you don't have to be good or do anything on Sundays to get into your so called "Heaven"? Is the reason people don't make up their own religion because they are lazy or just the way they were raised to believe in their parents god. I think if you had your own religion with a "god" that doesn't judge, doesn't send you to suffer for all eternity you would be a happier person. I mean it's not like religion ever did anything good for this world all it does it cause wars. As George Carlin talks about the Big Electron, doesn't punish, doesn't reward, doesn't judge at all, it just is THE BIG ELECTRON.
[Image: 4rynft.jpg]

Religion is like a Penis, you shouldn't whip it out in public and you shouldn't shove it down your child's throat.
[Image: ao1i8o.png]
RE: Why don't people just make up their own religion?
Those that believe in the teachings of a religion do not believe that it is "made up".
(June 20, 2011 at 4:14 pm)Paul the Human Wrote: Those that believe in the teachings of a religion do not believe that it is "made up".

I guess narnia wasn't made up either. Someone had to make it. And who else would think of a talking lion none other than GOD himself? All he needed was believers for what reason?

Religion is like a Penis, you shouldn't whip it out in public and you shouldn't shove it down your child's throat.
Umm. What?
Because they would rather believe someone else's story. No matter how FOS it is, no matter how many times translated, or whether if not any of it is believable to a mind that requires proof. They just take someone else's word for it.

Basically, many people are pathetic idiotic(but not all) sheep that need leading. Look at republican party voters.

My favourite quotes from a voters:

'I'll vote bush because he's a Christian, but I don't know what his policies are.'

'I won't vote Obama because I don't beleive he's a christian'

Slight tangent I know. Smile
(June 20, 2011 at 4:18 pm)Paul the Human Wrote: Umm. What?

Lol the bible is as accurate as narnia. If you believe in the bible you have to believe in narnia?
(June 20, 2011 at 4:20 pm)5thHorseman Wrote: Because they would rather believe someone else's story. No matter how FOS it is, no matter how many times translated, or whether if not any of it is believable to a mind that requires proof. They just take someone else's word for it.

Basically, many people are pathetic idiotic(but not all) sheep that need leading. Look at republican party voters.

'I'll vote bush because he's a Christian, but I don't know what his policies are.'

Thats why I don't plan on voting.

(June 20, 2011 at 4:21 pm)MilesTailsPrower Wrote: Thats why I don't plan on voting.

Please vote non-republican... they don't need to fuck with you even more, do they? Heart
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
People will make up anything in order to feel special and secure.

Christians, they tend to make up their own version of Christianity. Some take the bible literately, some don't. Some say atheists won't go to hell, some others say they will. Some say god didn't create the universe, some say god did. All these conflicting beliefs exist within Christians. So there begs the question...which version of Christianity is correct?

So yes, everyone of a religious faith make up their own kind of religion, their own personal god that happens to agree with them. They can't bring themselves to believe in a god that could send them to hell. That would defeat the whole point of believing in something in order to feel special and secure.

It is a delusion. Just leave'em to believe in whatever they wish. After all, beliefs don't matter. Facts do.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
(June 20, 2011 at 4:21 pm)MilesTailsPrower Wrote:
(June 20, 2011 at 4:18 pm)Paul the Human Wrote: Umm. What?

Lol the bible is as accurate as narnia. If you believe in the bible you have to believe in narnia?
(June 20, 2011 at 4:20 pm)5thHorseman Wrote: Because they would rather believe someone else's story. No matter how FOS it is, no matter how many times translated, or whether if not any of it is believable to a mind that requires proof. They just take someone else's word for it.

Thats why I don't plan on voting.

Please do vote, and make it Obama. As the only superpower on the planet, the last thing we need ( as a civilisation) is the likes of Palin and Huckabee and their creationism beliefs, or mitt Romney and his crazy cult attempting to send us into another dark age.

Yours sincerely

A European.
(June 20, 2011 at 4:29 pm)Ace Otana Wrote: People will make up anything in order to feel special and secure.

Christians, they tend to make up their own version of Christianity. Some take the bible literately, some don't. Some say atheists won't go to hell, some others say they will. Some say god didn't create the universe, some say god did. All these conflicting beliefs exist within Christians. So there begs the question...which version of Christianity is correct?

So yes, everyone of a religious faith make up their own kind of religion, their own personal god that happens to agree with them. They can't bring themselves to believe in a god that could send them to hell. That would defeat the whole point of believing in something in order to feel special and secure.

It is a delusion. Just leave'em to believe in whatever they wish. After all, beliefs don't matter. Facts do.

Beliefs do sometimes matter. Look at George Bush.

'we have a calling from above'

Shame he didn't hear it correctly, it said 'fuck you george'
What Paul the Human said ... and because God didn't speak to us ... that's why there is no need to make up our own religions.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Atheism a Religion? Why or why not? Nishant Xavier 91 4971 August 6, 2023 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  I own an XBOX and that's good enough for me. Angrboda 5 462 July 9, 2023 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  If you had to pick between people who pimp prostitutes vs religious people Woah0 22 1954 August 28, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  We atheists now have our own social network rado84 16 1757 August 12, 2021 at 7:51 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  "You just want to be your own god"? zwanzig 48 4328 July 7, 2021 at 5:01 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1465 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  How to beat a presupp at their own game Superjock 150 12087 April 16, 2021 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  James Randi deserves his own RIP thread. Brian37 27 2012 January 6, 2021 at 11:39 am
Last Post: RozzerusUnrelentus
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4250 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Miracles and their place, and Atheists. Mystic 35 4479 October 4, 2018 at 3:53 am
Last Post: robvalue