Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 1:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Church receives complaint over God-heals leaflet
Church receives complaint over God-heals leaflet
The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) has stepped in after a Nottingham church claimed in a leaflet God could heal a range of named illnesses. Read full story:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-not...e-13925399

Why isn't theophobia on the list if they wanted to include phobias? Oh well. Tongue
RE: Church receives complaint over God-heals leaflet
Quote:Why isn't theophobia on the list if they wanted to include phobias?
Come now, that's not something to heal. That's something that's an intrinsic part of the faith itself. Angel

As to the article. How patently absurd on the part of the ASA. If they want to take issue with a leaflet based on those grounds, then one can certainly expect them to take issue with the Bible next, since it's chock full of examples wherein the reader may infer god heals, because throughout it's pages it relates stories of god doing exactly that.

Besides, the ASA's proclamation implies god doesn't exist, since the basic tenets of faith profess to the contrary. So unless there is no UK equivelant of separation of church and State, one would think the ASA is overstepping their authority.

I personally feel ASA has no right what so ever to claim a church or religious institution can not say god can heal, in the printing of their religious materials.

"In life you can never be too kind or too fair; everyone you meet is carrying a heavy load. When you go through your day expressing kindness and courtesy to all you meet, you leave behind a feeling of warmth and good cheer, and you help alleviate the burdens everyone is struggling with."
Brian Tracy
The only thing that needs healing is their defective braincells. Their delusion is killing off any capability their brains may have in any kind of thought!
Can't help but feel sorry for them and their special needs. Had a couple of lunatics walking through town with bibles in their hands. Some how they escaped from the asylum.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
This is exactly the sort of thing that agencies tasked with policing the medical marketplace should take issue with. Hiding behind separation of church and state is extremely sinister. If someone wants to make a health claim, they need to back it up. Its not just semantics or a matter of belief, people in need of medical attention that do not receive the proper treatment are at risk of serious illness or death. Those individuals or groups who put people in this position should be litigated. What next, do we allow human sacrifice because it's an article of faith and the participants are willing? And can I sue a preacher for malpractice, because that's the position a physician finds himself in when he/she misrepresents treatment options or botches said treatment.

Personally, I think our reluctance to seriously hammer these people is spineless and reprehensible. So you want gather together every sunday and regurgitate bronze age myths, fine. The minute you get into medicine then you've crossed the line and lose that protection. Again, just my opinion.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Quote:then one can certainly expect them to take issue with the Bible next

What a great idea.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Church sex abuse: Thousands of paedophiles in French Church zebo-the-fat 8 1213 October 7, 2021 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Church of England vs Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints vorlon13 13 4146 April 3, 2017 at 1:48 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Catholic Church is selling over 400 properties in Atlantic Canada. Lemonvariable72 45 11770 August 25, 2015 at 4:17 am
Last Post: Longhorn
  Methodist Church apology over abuse claims zebo-the-fat 11 2164 May 30, 2015 at 9:14 am
Last Post: robvalue
  God is god, and we are not god StoryBook 43 12335 January 6, 2014 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: StoryBook
  Church update:children's church k2490 15 10506 June 26, 2013 at 7:59 am
Last Post: Rahul
  What is your complaint with Christianity? DeeTee 61 19880 May 11, 2012 at 10:32 pm
Last Post: Ryft
  God get's angry, Moses changes God's plans of wrath, God regrets "evil" he planned Mystic 9 6684 February 16, 2012 at 8:17 am
Last Post: Strongbad