Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HIV and Family values; or how one person thinks Christianity could wipe out aids.
HIV and Family values; or how one person thinks Christianity could wipe out aids.
Hi guys,

An associate via Facebook recently posted the following.

"A new study reveals that circumcision reduced new cases of AIDS in African males by as much as 58%. If you don't like that news, I know a plan with a 100% success rate that can wipe AIDS off the planet within a generation!"

It is clearly a profoundly stupid statement. It ignores numerous transmission roots for HIV, and it ignores the simple fact that humans simply do not behave as he wished them too, regardless of their faith.

I would like to build a rebuttle that can stand up to examination. As such, I am looking for evidence regarding non-sexual transmission rates, and about comparative sexual infidelity and HIV infection rates amongst faith groups.

If you have any statistics on these subjects, or can offer additional paths of attack or aid in forming a solid rebuttle, I would be most greatful.
RE: HIV and Family values; or how one person thinks Christianity could wipe out aids.
(July 24, 2011 at 5:12 am)CthulhuBen Wrote: Hi guys,

An associate via Facebook recently posted the following.

"A new study reveals that circumcision reduced new cases of AIDS in African males by as much as 58%. If you don't like that news, I know a plan with a 100% success rate that can wipe AIDS off the planet within a generation!"

It is clearly a profoundly stupid statement. It ignores numerous transmission roots for HIV, and it ignores the simple fact that humans simply do not behave as he wished them too, regardless of their faith.

I would like to build a rebuttle that can stand up to examination. As such, I am looking for evidence regarding non-sexual transmission rates, and about comparative sexual infidelity and HIV infection rates amongst faith groups.

If you have any statistics on these subjects, or can offer additional paths of attack or aid in forming a solid rebuttle, I would be most greatful.

The Christian would have a point if everybody decided to have sex only in the confines of marriage, thereby eliminating adultery, homosexuality, pre-martial sex, incest etc. If that were to happen STDs would be wiped out in a generation. However the odds would be nanoscopically small to put it, also adopting such behavior would be quite undesirable since it would mean a sizable percentage of the population their whole lives as virgins.
undefined
RE: HIV and Family values; or how one person thinks Christianity could wipe out aids.
HIV isn't exclusively sexually transmitted, religious people don't, never have and never will obey their own laws, and an HIV positive mother will give birth to HIV positive babies afaik. So it wouldn't wipe it out as fast as that, if at all
(July 24, 2011 at 7:25 am)Ziggystardust Wrote: The Christian would have a point if everybody decided to have sex only in the confines of marriage, thereby eliminating adultery, homosexuality, pre-martial sex, incest etc. If that were to happen STDs would be wiped out in a generation. However the odds would be nanoscopically small to put it, also adopting such behavior would be quite undesirable since it would mean a sizable percentage of the population their whole lives as virgins.

Well, I think what you say is sound. On the one hand, if sex only happened within the confines of marriage, STD rates would go down (granted, many STDs have non-sexual transmission routes). On the other hand, even in the days when society enforced the laws of the Bible, sex was never completely confined to marriage, no matter what the legal consequences may have been.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Why fucking bother? Someone that retarded shouldn't be worth the time. Let's face it, you can come back with all the evidence and statistics you want, the cunt will still blindly argue with you.
Plan assumes good Christians like Ted Haggard will stop sucking the dicks of toothless meth heads. Plan is deeply flawed.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
Firstly, you could correct your genius friend on his misinformation. Circumcision has not reduced AIDS cases by 58%. The actual study, from the World Health Organisation, showed in some trials that in theory it COULD reduce the risk as part of a 'comprehensive HIV prevention package', which also includes the provision of condoms. See if your buddy likes that. Here's the link http://www.who.int/hiv/topics/malecircum...index.html

As for his amazing plan, it's watertight. Apart from all the fallacies which other people have already pointed out. Basically he's an idiot without any rational thinking skills, and an agenda to promote. Never a winning combo, except on Fox News.
That AIDS exists in the first place is an example that god didn't plan on saving anyone from coming to learn it exists. So now that it does, while god watches and lets it happen, snipping foreskin isn't going to do more than god could have done if he were omnibenevolent in the first place.

Your "buddy" is a deluded fool who doesn't suffer HIV/AIDS. Which is why he thinks so little of espousing the bullshit that "cures" those who do.
"In life you can never be too kind or too fair; everyone you meet is carrying a heavy load. When you go through your day expressing kindness and courtesy to all you meet, you leave behind a feeling of warmth and good cheer, and you help alleviate the burdens everyone is struggling with."
Brian Tracy
(July 24, 2011 at 7:25 pm)ElDinero Wrote: Firstly, you could correct your genius friend on his misinformation. Circumcision has not reduced AIDS cases by 58%. The actual study, from the World Health Organisation, showed in some trials that in theory it COULD reduce the risk as part of a 'comprehensive HIV prevention package', which also includes the provision of condoms. See if your buddy likes that. Here's the link http://www.who.int/hiv/topics/malecircum...index.html

As for his amazing plan, it's watertight. Apart from all the fallacies which other people have already pointed out. Basically he's an idiot without any rational thinking skills, and an agenda to promote. Never a winning combo, except on Fox News.

Thank you for the study El Dinero.

I am already well aware of the numerous fallacies. As part of debunking his views however, I really need evidence regarding comparative numbers of sexual partners in fundamentalist Christianity and the general population. Rates of teenage pregnacy, rates of adultery, rates of infection with sexually transmitted diseases.
http://www.reproductive-health-journal.c...ent/6/1/14
This may not be perfect, but at least it's a start:

http://www.worldmag.com/articles/13208

Average age of loss of virginity: 16.3 (mainline average: 16.7)
Likelihood of having 3+ sexual partners: 13.7% (Mainline: 8.9%).

More info comes from here:
http://www.stopthereligiousright.org/biblebelt.htm

It's not necessarily studying the rates of evangelicals, but it does study the health of one of their natural habitats.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Natural family planning LinuxGal 75 7422 January 1, 2023 at 10:30 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  First Council of Nicaea: when Christianity was deformed and Jesus named son of God. WinterHold 50 4047 September 19, 2021 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  If you could rid the world... FredTheLobster 33 3338 June 29, 2021 at 11:02 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Discrimination, oppression, and the War on Christianity Losty 124 11531 July 27, 2019 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Christian family fined after arguing taxes 'against God's will' zebo-the-fat 19 2108 July 23, 2019 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Evolution and Christianity and Salvation mrj 255 19866 March 14, 2019 at 3:10 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  The connection between Christianity and Capitalism Cecelia 43 4562 August 22, 2018 at 12:47 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Why does my family want me to be christian so much? Der/die AtheistIn 17 2781 March 29, 2018 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  I'm sick and tired of Christianity Der/die AtheistIn 73 10519 December 29, 2017 at 4:04 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Disappointing my family Der/die AtheistIn 9 1766 December 23, 2017 at 9:59 am
Last Post: Aoi Magi