Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 8:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Atheism a Religion?
Is Atheism a Religion?
Theists have told me "Atheism is a religion." I read a bunch of responses to this but all of them missed the point. A poor response would be to say that atheism is not a religion because atheists don't have rituals and do not believe in gods. The response does not address that religion is a set of beliefs rather than a single belief there is this one deity. I think the best response is actually to point out that theism is not a religion just as much as atheism is not a religion, addressing the unabridged definition of religion. Atheism and theism are subsets of a person's theory about how the world works. Metaphysical Naturalism might be that theory that concludes or presumes there is no need for a deity. Now we can look at the definition of 'religion' and compare it to the definition of metaphysical naturalism which is an atheist world-view, among many other ways that this world view could be described.
RE: Is Atheism a Religion?
Think we had this thread very recently. Hopefully this one goes a little differently.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Quote:Theists have told me "Atheism is a religion."

Theists are generally shitheads.

So much for the thread going differently!
(August 3, 2011 at 7:45 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Think we had this thread very recently. Hopefully this one goes a little differently.

Recently, in the past, in other unrelated threads, etc. This one will go exactly the same. Tongue
Why yes, yes it is.
Now send me money for the cause and I'll mail you a receipt for your taxes. [Image: SmileyMoneyLots.gif]
"In life you can never be too kind or too fair; everyone you meet is carrying a heavy load. When you go through your day expressing kindness and courtesy to all you meet, you leave behind a feeling of warmth and good cheer, and you help alleviate the burdens everyone is struggling with."
Brian Tracy
I don't know how the last one went. I was going over a thread on facebook, and I thought that if we really wanted to get into the definitions of things, we should address the definition of theism which isn't a religion. Religion and theism might be the same thing according to some dictionaries. I just looked up "define religion" in Google and the first definition that pops up is "re·li·gion/riˈlijən/Noun 1. The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, esp. a personal God or gods."

However, when theists refer to religion they are usually referring to a 'set of beliefs' and theism is one of those beliefs. Atheism describes a single belief. I know atheists that believe in the afterlife, The Secret, and even atheists that believe in ghosts. I know atheists that don't believe in any of those things. I know theists that believe in many gods, and theists that believe in just one god. I know theists that believe in ghosts even when they aren't supposed to believe in ghosts or astrology. lol
Skeptic Wrote:Having read several posts on here from atheists that seem to want to go out of their way to 'convert' others to think the same I can see the similarity in some cases.

Really? You do realize how attempts at conversion work, don't you? Arguing against a person's belief system isn't an attempt at conversion. Offering them salvation from an eternity of hellfire or offering them cookies is. As of yet, I have seen no atheist here offer either. Tongue

Oh, you deleted your post. Good thing I quoted it here. Smile
(August 3, 2011 at 7:58 pm)Shell B Wrote:
Skeptic Wrote:Having read several posts on here from atheists that seem to want to go out of their way to 'convert' others to think the same I can see the similarity in some cases.

Really? You do realize how attempts at conversion work, don't you? Arguing against a person's belief system isn't an attempt at conversion. Offering them salvation from an eternity of hellfire or offering them cookies is. As of yet, I have seen no atheist here offer either. Tongue

Oh, you deleted your post. Good thing I quoted it here. Smile

I have never changed someone's world-view right after an argument. Several people that I have argued with in person have become atheist later. Atheists have a big problem with PR though. I've met several 'atheist' professors that would rather call themselves agnostics to avoid the arrogant and aggressive connotations that are associated with atheism.
We should ask Hannah her opinion on the matter.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 3, 2011 at 8:04 pm)The_Flying_Skeptic Wrote: I have never changed someone's world-view right after an argument. Several people that I have argued with in person have become atheist later. Atheists have a big problem with PR though. I've met several 'atheist' professors that would rather call themselves agnostics to avoid the arrogant and aggressive connotations that are associated with atheism.

I'm a little surprised at the stigma produced by atheism. I never expected that when I became vocal about atheism. Then again, I wasn't hiding my atheism from crazies to begin with, I just became more interested in the topic the more crazies I met.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Atheism a Religion? Why or why not? Nishant Xavier 91 4964 August 6, 2023 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
Wink Religion vs Atheism! Bwahahahahahahahah MadJW 146 11397 November 5, 2021 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4240 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Faux News: Atheism is a religion, too TaraJo 53 24771 October 9, 2018 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: Alan V
  Why Atheism Replaces Religion In Developed Countries Interaktive 33 5973 April 26, 2018 at 8:57 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why atheism is important, and why religion is dangerous causal code 20 8574 October 17, 2017 at 4:42 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27118 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Yes, Atheism is a Religion Delicate 278 42598 December 22, 2015 at 7:48 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  No, Atheism isn't a Religion Napoléon 14 3254 December 14, 2015 at 6:26 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Comparing Religion to Fairy Tales and Myths Equal Atheism ILoveMRHMWogglebugTE 13 4633 July 22, 2015 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: robvalue