Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 10:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Army approves atheism-themed concert at Fort Bragg
Finally! Clap Who says letter writing in a concerted effort doesn't work? Hell, stalwart determination garnered fallen Wiccan service personnel the right to have a pentacle on their tomb stones. Now this! Oppressed minorities have every right to break their chains.

Even when it's to music. Wink

Quote:"There is no going back in to the `atheist closet,'" wrote Griffith, who has also organized a local chapter of Military Atheists and Secular Humanists for like-minded soldiers and veterans. "We're going to be supported on post for the first time."

Associated Press
By TOM BREEN , 08.08.11,

RALEIGH, N.C. -- A concert event organized by atheist, agnostic and other non-theist soldiers has been cleared by the Army to take place next spring at Fort Bragg, concert organizers and a spokesman for the post said Monday.

Organizers planned to hold the Rock Beyond Belief event this year, but they canceled after saying Bragg leadership was not providing the same support it gave to an evangelical Christian concert last fall.

Let's see how "tolerant" Fundy's will be now. Big Grin

"In life you can never be too kind or too fair; everyone you meet is carrying a heavy load. When you go through your day expressing kindness and courtesy to all you meet, you leave behind a feeling of warmth and good cheer, and you help alleviate the burdens everyone is struggling with."
Brian Tracy
RE: Army approves atheism-themed concert at Fort Bragg
Quote:Let's see how "tolerant" Fundy's will be now.

I predict not at all.
Well, as was stated in the article, I too agree that I'll believe it when the sound check ensues.
However, when (optimist that I am) it does happen, it will be very interesting to read the headlines that accompany the event.

I can can just imagine Fundy protesters with signs waving. Hell, maybe even the Phelps inbred clan will give it a go as a bit of new ground as opposed to their gay soldier fixation. "God Hates atheists who can keep a tune!" Tongue

Actually, I wouldn't put that sign past old Fred one bit.
"In life you can never be too kind or too fair; everyone you meet is carrying a heavy load. When you go through your day expressing kindness and courtesy to all you meet, you leave behind a feeling of warmth and good cheer, and you help alleviate the burdens everyone is struggling with."
Brian Tracy
The sad thing is that such an event is worthy of comment.
If they can actually hold such a concert in the air force academy once a year, then that might be evidence that the US does contains enough to make it theoretically possible for it to be saved.
(August 8, 2011 at 9:42 pm)padraic Wrote: The sad thing is that such an event is worthy of comment.

Elitism and bigotry in the ranks was worthy of comment. The old lie, there are no atheists in fox holes, was a comment that dismissed atheists who fought and died for this country and continue to do so today. Serving in a military where it's largely implied it is a Christian military. Just as wrong as those who say outright this is a Christian nation.

So while it is sad that this is worthy of comment, because atheists had to fight and hope to get equal time for a concert after Evangelicals worried not one bit about their privilege to schedule a concert, it's now a matter of overcoming one more hurdle in this nation that's said to be a "free" country, while everyone who wasn't white, male and rich at her inception has had to fight to be free for 235 years and counting.

I was such an "atheist in a foxhole" for twenty years. I didn't fight the system, but I fucked with it. When I was required to put something in the "religion" box I put Zoroastrian. I made up a bunch of obligation days and they couldn't refute me. (This was pre-Internet.)
Wink Well done. Use their predisposition to favor the religious against their bigotry and make them look like fools in the process. Excellent.

Zoroastrian! Priceless.
Brian Tracy
I always checked off "other" and put "HOOAH" in the description line.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Concert in support of Biden campaign Foxaèr 8 533 October 25, 2020 at 5:07 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Renaming US Army bases. Gawdzilla Sama 28 1252 June 15, 2020 at 7:44 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Army Pissed That Soldiers Aren't Happy Minimalist 11 2050 April 18, 2015 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
Bug EU army vs. Russia??? Mr Greene 12 2752 March 9, 2015 at 3:27 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Egypt - Army seizes power. Something completely different 34 7852 July 8, 2013 at 9:10 pm
Last Post: cratehorus
  Obama Approves $105 Million in Humanitarian Aid for East Africa Judas BentHer 57 21658 August 11, 2011 at 4:03 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  New York state approves gay marriage Ashendant 4 1642 June 26, 2011 at 3:31 am
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  The Lord's Resistance Army and Joseph Kony Shell B 36 24996 October 7, 2010 at 11:22 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  This chap just wants to get out of the army discuss downbeatplumb 24 7041 September 24, 2010 at 6:07 am
Last Post: Skipper
  Troops say they were punished for skipping Christian concert lrh9 5 1908 August 22, 2010 at 11:53 pm
Last Post: Minimalist