Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Early wood' samples reshape plant history
'Early wood' samples reshape plant history
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14543120

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

RE: 'Early wood' samples reshape plant history
Good to see that they've found samples for this theory. Fascinating stuff really. As a plant grows taller it becomes more difficult to bring water to the top. You've got transpirational pull, and densities of salts, but that only gets you so far up. Having a firm core or outer stem to contract against makes moving water up a little easier. Without a mechanism to transport water to ever increasing heights, you would not need wood as support. I love how elegant this response was. Plants able to form a denser stem or core would have been able to grow taller, and then plants that could arrange this tissue into a more sturdy support would grow yet taller. It's a biological arms race. They're trying to kill each other.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 16, 2011 at 1:04 pm)Rhythm Wrote: They're trying to kill each other.

How is it surprising that plants obey the same competitive rules as animals? Big Grin

They only move slower (for the most part).
We told you, it's all about sex and death.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
Some creationist fucktard will show up momentarily to explain how their sky-daddy made trees exactly as they are 6,000 years ago.

Should be good for some laughs.
Yeah trees wage quiet wars for centuries sometimes. They even try to grow into each others roots and drain their competitors of water. Smother him from above, drink him dry from below. It only ends when one or the other is dead. Comforting to know that this sort of malevolence can occur without consciousness, isn't it..lol.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
"As they listened, they began to understand the lives of the Forest, apart from themselves, indeed to feel themselves as the strangers where all other things were at home. [...] Tom's words laid bare the hearts of trees and their thoughts, which were dark and strange, and filled with a hatred of things that go free upon the earth, gnawing, biting, breaking, hacking, burning: destroyers and usurpers. It was not called the Old Forest without reason, for it was indeed ancient, a survivor of vast forgotten woods; and in there lived yet, ageing no quicker than the hills, the fathers of the fathers of trees, remembering times when they were lords. The countless years had filled them with pride and rooted wisdom, and with malice." --- The Fellowship of the Ring
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Early Brit was dark skinned zebo-the-fat 11 1563 February 7, 2018 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
Rainbow What science says about plant-based diets (Vegan) NeotericNinja 68 8360 May 23, 2016 at 3:09 pm
Last Post: paulpablo
  A Plant Joke RonaldReagansGhost666 2 1236 March 8, 2013 at 12:41 am
Last Post: RonaldReagansGhost666
  100 Most Important Questions Facing Plant Science Research thesummerqueen 10 7308 September 9, 2011 at 9:15 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Brief History of Evolutionary Theory thechristophershow 36 10089 September 29, 2010 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: The Omnissiunt One