Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 5:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many species on Earth? 8.7 million give or take
How many species on Earth? 8.7 million give or take
http://www.newsdaily.com/stories/tre77n20o-us-species/

The Young Earth Creationist mob will have to figure out how did noah fit at least a couple of million species into the ark.
undefined
RE: How many species on Earth? 8.7 million give or take
(August 25, 2011 at 2:21 am)Justtristo Wrote: http://www.newsdaily.com/stories/tre77n20o-us-species/

The Young Earth Creationist mob will have to figure out how did noah fit at least a couple of million species into the ark.

They wouldn't be YECs if they are capable of figuring out.
(August 25, 2011 at 2:33 am)Chuck Wrote:
(August 25, 2011 at 2:21 am)Justtristo Wrote: http://www.newsdaily.com/stories/tre77n20o-us-species/

To be fair, most of those species are probably insects and parasites. That being said, wtf was Noah thinking when he saved Mosquitos and tape worms? Other issues- how did the birds not fly away? The flies? Were they controlled by god?
If so, to prove that, creationists must present evidence of animals being controlled by a supernatural force which makes them walk onto a boat in pairs, sit still with minimal food for eighty days, and then start banging until their population is back up to the mid thousands while successfully navigating the world-wide plague swamp which would result from such a flood.

Oh, and predators must be vegetarians until herbivore numbers are back up to sustainable numbers. (Unicorns, or the lack thereof, are proof that the the predators are bad listeners.)

What falls away is always, and is near.

Also, I am not pretending to be female, this profile picture is my wonderful girlfriend. XD
(August 29, 2011 at 12:17 am)Aegrus Wrote: To be fair, most of those species are probably insects and parasites.

Millions of insects even the small ones amount to a lot of mass and volume.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Anyone who's ever tried to drag a commercial scale cricket box to more suitable ground can attest to the weight of insects.

"Ants are arguably the greatest success story in the history of terrestrial metazoa. On average, ants monopolize 15-20% of the terrestrial animal biomass, and in tropical regions where ants are especially abundant, they monopolize 25% or more."
(Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America: In search of ant ancestors.)

Just some ants, so keep the bug spray on hand, cuz we're outnumbered AND out of our weight class.
http://books.google.com/books/about/Gard...vwKvkXcooC
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 29, 2011 at 12:17 am)Aegrus Wrote:
(August 25, 2011 at 2:33 am)Chuck Wrote:

To be fair, most of those species are probably insects and parasites. That being said, wtf was Noah thinking when he saved Mosquitos and tape worms? Other issues- how did the birds not fly away? The flies? Were they controlled by god?
If so, to prove that, creationists must present evidence of animals being controlled by a supernatural force which makes them walk onto a boat in pairs, sit still with minimal food for eighty days, and then start banging until their population is back up to the mid thousands while successfully navigating the world-wide plague swamp which would result from such a flood.

Oh, and predators must be vegetarians until herbivore numbers are back up to sustainable numbers. (Unicorns, or the lack thereof, are proof that the the predators are bad listeners.)

1. those of us who figure out what BS the ark story and others are, are no longer among the "saved" so we don't count.
2. Mostly distracted by arguing over minutiae of other scriptural fables, opposing homosexuality and other heathen acts such as long hair and tattoos, doesn't leave much time to be reasoned with about the big picture...not that "they" could be. JMO

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's your stance on bringing back extinct species? Fake Messiah 80 2152 March 12, 2024 at 8:50 am
Last Post: brewer
  the age of the earth jasonelijah 88 5158 March 30, 2021 at 8:39 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  Game changing face from 3.8 million years ago Fake Messiah 18 1474 December 22, 2019 at 6:18 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  New human species discovered in the Phillipines downbeatplumb 5 631 April 13, 2019 at 6:17 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Bumblebee officially added to endangered species list Foxaèr 13 1307 July 3, 2018 at 3:06 pm
  Without rape, most animal species would go extinct Alexmahone 34 4382 May 25, 2018 at 11:25 am
Last Post: sdelsolray
  No official name for earth's moon Foxaèr 32 2049 March 4, 2018 at 7:42 pm
  Strange troglodyte species found in Turkmenistan cave Foxaèr 4 846 September 26, 2017 at 7:18 am
  12.9 million infants not vaxed in 2016 Foxaèr 10 3384 July 24, 2017 at 12:28 am
Last Post: Astonished
  99 million Year Old Bird Transition Found Amarok 14 5322 June 9, 2017 at 8:41 am
Last Post: Amarok