Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite Fiction
Favorite Fiction
We all have our favorite Atheist books, but what about fiction stories?

I personally am I huge fan of fantasy stories. My top favorite fantasy stories are A Song of Fire and Ice by George R.R. Martin, Nightrunners by Lynn Flewelling, and The Death Gate Cycle by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. Added to that I have two top favorite childrens series, Prydain Chronicles by Lloyd Alexander (Where the name Eilonwy comes from, I add an n) and Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
RE: Favorite Fiction
Early Heinlein, EC Tubb's "Dumarest" series, Asimov and "The Hobbit"/"Lord of the Rings"

EDIT: Oh I forgot one of my all time favourites: E. E. "Doc" Smith author of the "Lensman" and "Skylark" space operas.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
Colony and Incompetence...both by Rob Grant....mind you I haven't really read much else fiction!!!

I like Sci Fi fiction anyway...I am meaning to read the Red Dwarf books eventually...

When I was younger I enjoyed 'Of Mice and Men' and 'Pride an Prejudice' actually...that was when I was about 14.

EvF
The Magician books by Raymond E. Feist, the Otori Trilogy by Lian Hearn, and probably the hobbit/LotR.

Harry Potter's generally up there somewhere too, especially the last few books.
"I think that God in creating Man somewhat overestimated his ability." Oscar Wilde
My Blog | Why I Don't Believe in God
The fiction book I've actually read the most is "The Godfather" (five times)

Apart from that I have favourite authors and they change.

I like "thud and blunder" fiction, so like Wilbur Smith,Eric Lustbader and Robert Ludlum, but went through phases of loving Stephen King,and read nothing but Sci for about 20 years,after first reading Edgar Rice Burroughs (John Carter Of Mar) in the 1960's,right after I finished reading all the James Bond novels.

Today I read mainly non fiction,history. Guess I'm just fickle.
I don't read fantasy or fiction anymore. I've read the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy series, loved it, but I never found anything to read in the fantasy/fiction genre that I liked. Some where okay, but no more than that.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(March 18, 2009 at 3:50 am)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: I like Sci Fi fiction anyway...I am meaning to read the Red Dwarf books eventually...
The Red Dwarf books are brilliant, and I would highly recommend them. I also love the H2G2 series by Douglas Adams, and it is probably my favourite book series. In fantasy land, I've read some Terry Pratchett but never really got into some of his books. I think the "Edge Chronicles" has to be my favourite fantasy series. I grew up on those books Big Grin
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

not the children film, but the adult text by Lewis Carroll. There is so much logic behind the nonsense that you don't see in the movie. you may not even see it the first time you read it.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful with out having to believe there are fairies at the bottom of it to?" -Douglas Adams.Heart
Pastafarian
I Evolved!
(March 18, 2009 at 6:00 pm)Tiberius Wrote: [quote='EvidenceVsFaith' pid='12038' dateline='1237362646']
In fantasy land, I've read some Terry Pratchett but never really got into some of his books. I think the "Edge Chronicles" has to be my favourite fantasy series. I grew up on those books Big Grin

Oh, just wondering have you ever played the game Discworld? The point-and-click adventure game?

I have. I also played some of DiscworldII but got stuck....I hate using walkthroughs you see.

Although, the first Discworld I found mega-hard but because I played it when I was a little kid and I couldn't do it...along with my bro we used walkthroughts to win Sad

And P.S: I actually met Terry Pratchett once you know...at a book store in Norwich...funny guy in an interestingly odd way Big Grin

EvF
(March 18, 2009 at 6:00 pm)Tiberius Wrote: I think the "Edge Chronicles" has to be my favourite fantasy series. I grew up on those books

By "Edge chronicles" I take it you don't mean the Edge Western's (a violent pulp cowboy series ... marvellous sick humour BTW).

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  One Thing In Fiction That Always Causes Me To Facepalm Amarok 23 3906 May 1, 2018 at 10:59 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Best non-fiction books Excited Penguin 7 1489 July 8, 2015 at 10:43 am
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  Fact is stranger than fiction: George Zimmerman signing autographs? *Deidre* 18 3314 March 12, 2014 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: kılıç_mehmet
  The Best Science Fiction Films, 1970 to ... Kyuuketsuki 12 4928 March 20, 2009 at 11:40 am
Last Post: Kyuuketsuki
  The Best Science Fiction Films, Pre 1970's Kyuuketsuki 3 1851 March 20, 2009 at 4:49 am
Last Post: leo-rcc