Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Looking for an intelligent, rational discussion re atheism
Looking for an intelligent, rational discussion re atheism
I just signed up and am looking to have a serious discussion re atheism. I'm not an atheist, but I'm not a fundie, either and am not looking for the usual foodfight stuff. My position is an odd one. I can see the exit from here, if you will, and all things considered, I'd be happy if materialistic atheism were true, but I just can't make sense of it on many levels, as it seems as faith-based as anything else.

I would like discuss it from the ground up, meaning no assumptions about where I am coming from or assuming where I'm going. I will also not assume. I'm not interested in dogma on either side, but there are questions I can't seem to get answered.

In a weird way, this is akin to a deathbed de-conversion opportunity, so if anyone wants to engage in an intelligent fasion, I'd love that.
RE: Looking for an intelligent, rational discussion re atheism
If you bring intelligence and rationale to the table, you'll find that many will show you the same in kind.

Welcome, don't run away at the first sign of dissent. Dissent just makes things more interesting around here.
Nothing is your own except the few cubic centimeters inside your skull. - George Orwell
Heh. You say that now. I'm fine with dissent and expect it. I just often find that the favor isn't returned.
I see no evidence for any of the gods which have been invented by human imagination from the beginning of time.

Welcome.
One question right off the bat. How is materialism faith based?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I don't know how this board works, so is there a way to put this discussion in a place that folks will see it. The more the merrier.
You only have one question: What proof is there for any god or gods?
Start another thread in the atheism sub-forum.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(September 3, 2011 at 8:59 pm)Fred Wrote: I don't know how this board works, so is there a way to put this discussion in a place that folks will see it. The more the merrier.
I think you just have to post in here. Dont worry people will see, I have a feeling this could end up in multiple pages
If I die and god is real, im so screwed.
(September 3, 2011 at 8:55 pm)FaithNoMore Wrote: One question right off the bat. How is materialism faith based?

Ah, good start. So there's no misunderstanding and getting lost in the definition thickets, would you please define materialism in concise terms, as you see it. I want to discuss where you are coming from, not where I assume you are coming from.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help refuting an Intelligent design argument Jrouche 46 2580 May 7, 2019 at 9:31 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Looking for like-minded people, I found this forum! LivingForever 33 3971 November 3, 2016 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  looking for an intilectual sparing partner Soldat Du Christ 74 7673 October 24, 2016 at 10:32 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Another man looking for truth Dayron 41 6212 August 18, 2015 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: Iroscato
Tongue Looking for a place to belong pocket god 18 3049 May 26, 2015 at 6:02 pm
Last Post: Kitty Galore
  Raised as a Christian - looking for discussion GriffinHunter 32 7025 March 19, 2015 at 10:13 am
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  Hey everyone looking for a fresh start teslafie 3 1182 July 1, 2014 at 8:17 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
Tongue Looking for some atheists friends,Would like to widen my skills in debating. MountainsWinAgain 16 3203 May 22, 2014 at 3:27 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  former theist turned rational thinker thatoneguyyouknow 18 3832 March 26, 2014 at 1:44 am
Last Post: Tartarus Sauce
  Hello, is it you i'm looking for? I can see it in your eyes... djkamilo 13 2568 January 4, 2014 at 4:52 am
Last Post: Aractus