Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 9:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The primary question of our time: Is Mind Brain?
The primary question of our time: Is Mind Brain?
That's the big one for me, and I believe that the way it falls is going to determine more about how things shake out than any other.

If the materialists are correct, all notions of Divinity are down the tubes.

If the Consciousness folks are correct, materialism goes down the tubes.

I side with the latter camp, and my main kick against the materialists is that their a priori stance has severely impeded the study of consciousness as consciousness by maintaining it is simply an epi-phenomenon and tend to reject all evidence to the contrary out of hand, yet have absolutely no answer whatsoever as to why consciousness even exists.

Do you feel that mind is wholly reducible to brain?
RE: The primary question of our time: Is Mind Brain?
If the question, "Is mind brain?" came up in an exam I wouldn't have the foggiest clue as to what the hell the question was asking.

But that aside, yes I do feel mind is wholly reducible to brain as there is no evidence to say otherwise and medically we KNOW for a FACT that the brain is what produces consciousness.
The answer of our time is yes.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(September 4, 2011 at 12:50 pm)Fred Wrote: Do you feel that mind is wholly reducible to brain?

Yes.

There is no evidence for anything other than the brain being the whole story.

Near death experiences can be rather easily explained by chemicals in the brain.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

It also may be useful to point out that only those who survive "near-death" experiences recount the tale. Those who die, do not. No brain, no mind.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
What evidence is there to support the idea that the mind and brain are separate?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Near death experiences may just be the mind coming to grips with the unusual messages sent by the body as it starts to shut down.

Or it could be chemicals flooding the brain (endorphins and such) that have a hallucagenic effect.

Se thats two better explanations than a non-physical entity that is in some undefinable way you leaving the body somehow, and I wasnt even trying.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(September 4, 2011 at 12:50 pm)Fred Wrote: That's the big one for me, and I believe that the way it falls is going to determine more about how things shake out than any other.

If the materialists are correct, all notions of Divinity are down the tubes.

If the Consciousness folks are correct, materialism goes down the tubes.

I side with the latter camp, and my main kick against the materialists is that their a priori stance has severely impeded the study of consciousness as consciousness by maintaining it is simply an epi-phenomenon and tend to reject all evidence to the contrary out of hand, yet have absolutely no answer whatsoever as to why consciousness even exists.

Do you feel that mind is wholly reducible to brain?

Name the evidence and show how they unavoidably lead to something about the consciousness that is genuinely apart from the matter of the body and environs?
As a former nurse student, who has had vocational training on a neurosurgical ward, I can safely say that yes, the mind is in fact the brain. People with e.g. hydrocephalus had almost always a change in mental activity as soon as they got the shunt they needed. People with head trauma were not the same when they left our ward after a week of care. Thus, when the brain matter is under stress, the psyche changes. It's as simple as that.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

The mind is merely the brain. It is a computer programmed for survival, and therefore sociability, reproduction, and all the 'helpers' that follow everything related to survivability. There is absolutely no ethereal mind.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How we spend our time Rahn127 21 3367 October 24, 2018 at 8:10 pm
Last Post: emjay
  brainwashing & mind control techniques purplepurpose 6 1712 November 24, 2017 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Changing ones mind about a subject Sal 23 2615 November 21, 2017 at 11:52 am
Last Post: Shell B
  Study finds link between brain damage and fundamentalism drfuzzy 13 4068 May 16, 2017 at 3:46 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Religion is fluff but the Doctrines are solid. Keep mind open. RonaldMcRaygun 12 2301 March 31, 2017 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  What would change your mind? hyperchord24 117 20268 March 28, 2017 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  The bible teaches that there is no immortal soul and that death is the end MIND BLOWN LetThereBeNoGod 4 1738 February 16, 2017 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Matt Dilahunty On What Would Change His Mind About God Edwardo Piet 14 5088 January 29, 2017 at 1:12 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  A real mind-boggling mirracle! mcolafson 12 2289 September 22, 2016 at 1:56 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Atheist = Reprobate mind sinnerdaniel94 186 38661 November 2, 2015 at 11:05 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet