Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 8:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
After the Zombie Apocaplypse - Serious Questions for an Unserious Topic
After the Zombie Apocaplypse - Serious Questions for an Unserious Topic
Most of us on here are at least to some degree entertained by the notion of zombies and a zombie apocalypse. But while it's great fun to imagine being the badass who aims for the head, there's a whole aftermath to the hypothetical event that we rarely talk about.

The Zombie Survival Guide does give ideas for how to hunker down after the main event to wait out whatever happens afterwards. But once the zombies have disintegrated, or been destroyed, how do we pick back up?

Rhythm and I often joke that we're absolutely needed on someone's team - you need someone who knows plants, wild or domesticated, and preferably someone who's used to coaxing them out of the ground. Think about it - with a significant amount of the population gone, you might still have growers but you won't have transporters or grocers...or vice versa. There go your oranges from CA and FL, and your peaches from SC and your Guatamalan tomatoes or what-have-you.

How does humanity come back from an event like this (or even a true pandemic), especially when, as Steven Novella brings up in this blog post, we're likely to have a significant loss of experts in all fields?

http://theness.com/neurologicablog/index...expertise/

As he points out:

Quote:There are several factors to consider. The first is the number of areas of expertise. We may think of doctors, physicists, and engineers, but actually within each of those fields there are dozens of general areas of expertise, and hundreds of areas of subspecialty. In every discipline there are several layers of greater and greater, yet narrower and narrower expertise. Chances are, most of the narrow focuses of expertise will be lost in the apocalypse. We would be left with a random scattering of knowledge.

There are also many areas of knowledge of which you may not even be aware, and some that are mere hobbies in modern society but will become essential to a civilization reboot. Blacksmiths, woodwrights, and hunters may be mostly hobbyists, but in a post-apocalyptic world their skills will likely be essential.

So just like Mr. Novella and his panel did at Dragon*Con, I'd like to have our own thought experiment about how to survive in a post-apocalyptic world. What skills would you bring to the table? It's not as simple as writing it off by saying "eh, I'm a thoroughly modern monster and couldn't live without a functioning microwave." That might be true from a cooking standpoint, but are there other skills you might offer a survival group? This is the time when you have to be the most creative - even down to "I'm good at training dogs - I could raise dogs for my group to help hunt for food."

This is, incidentally, a fantastic way to get to know members of this forum. You really have to think about yourself and what you have to offer.

As for myself, I know how to get things to grow and I have a basic knowledge of wild edibles that would certainly be supplemented if I raided abandoned libraries and bookstores. I have a good and agile memory when I choose to flex it, and there are things stored in it passed down from my father, who's a former Army Ranger and a former mini-farm living redneck to boot - things about plants and animals, how to fish and helpful hints when hunting. Thanks to working around or pal-ing around with construction workers and those who are construction-minded, I have the rudiments of how to build things - enough to help without hindering when it comes to making shelters or strongholds, anyway.

I'm not squeamish about blood. I don't know dick about medical conditions beyond first aid, but I don't get sick around it. (Unless someone's puking in front of me - then you're on your own, sorry.) I've a passing interest in both the folk-traditions and scientific reality of plant-based medicines.

I can sew and know the basics of clothing construction. If there's electricity still, I could keep people more or less clothed with a sewing machine. I'd move a lot slower by hand.

What can you all do? Do you have hobbies that would end up being coveted talents later? How do you think the world would have to restructure itself to cope with significant life loss? (Here's where you government and politics buffs come in) Are you mechanically minded? Do you know a lot about history to give people ideas of how we used to live and work?

Remember - satellite technicians might get hit, so a billion different areas of life would be affected - cell phones, computers, gps, anything that depends on those great machines in the sky would be out. Imagine a world similar to the third Resident Evil movie - scrounging for gas and hiding from any flesh-eaters that might be left.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
RE: After the Zombie Apocaplypse - Serious Questions for an Unserious Topic
Water treatment and delivery systems. Control of agricultural pests (which can often carry diseases that impact plants and human beings).
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Yeah, but how do you do what you do on limited resources?
Specific to the problems with the water supply and the pests. Sometimes a barrel full of sand will work (mechanical filtration), other times you need ammonia or another chemical agent. Most times you'd want both, just to be safe, with a little boiling in between. Delivery is easy since there's bound to be pipe laying all over the place (I'm counting on it as a lead pipe will be my weapon of choice in said zombie apocalypse). Pests are controlled by cultural practices and chemical agents which can be scavenged at the local abandoned home depot, and a lot of times in the fields outside of the parking lot. I can make a solar battery out of a plastic bottle, a sheet of copper, and some salt water too. In case we want to get our ipods up and running again (you'd love that Smile).
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I'm good at nailing bit of wood together.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
I wouldn't want it to end... Always having "fun" with the zombies... Also, my Step-Dad would most likely be dead.

I imagine a post-apocalyptic world to be pretty awesome.

I know exactly not what to do in a zombie outbreak, considering I have seen almost every zombie film...
Any electrical components of any equipment I could most likely repair...

I also have a small amount of training with a sword... So, when it comes to close range zombie killin', I'm you man Wink
I am also trained in first aid, and love a bit of gore. So, if any bodies need chopped up for bait to distract zombies, I would happily do it.

Something else rather important, entertainment... Being around so much death and despair, something soothing and light hearted is in need. As a musician I could provide that.

Right, now that we have it all figured out, lets go kill some zombies.

Cunt
I'm with Frankie, I'd be standing there like Major Payne

"Gots to be some zombies somewhere needs some killin"
Glad frankie brought up entertainment - you do need stuff to take your mind off things.
I am clearly the bbrrraaaaiiinnns of a group when it comes to zombies Wink
http://www.zombiezonenews.com/archives/z...l-vs-fake/

I need to get a properly forged katana
Some tips for people who want to zombie proof their home.

http://www.zombiezonenews.com/archives/5...our-house/
Cunt
(September 9, 2011 at 9:38 am)Zen Badger Wrote: I'm good at nailing bit of wood together.
Well I've just been made redundant then.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Serious Thread. Seriously? onlinebiker 12 1257 May 9, 2022 at 8:20 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Vincent who? Are you serious! ignoramus 9 2153 July 6, 2021 at 12:32 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  [Serious] SERIOUS POST, Hillbilly Atheist has COVID. Brian37 50 3039 January 8, 2021 at 11:32 pm
Last Post: Hillbillyatheist
  [Not Serious]Pick one, then post the next selection. Gawdzilla Sama 64 2770 October 18, 2019 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Uselss skills/qualifications! (#2) [NOT SUPER SERIOUS] ignoramus 44 2078 May 2, 2019 at 8:56 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  [NOT SERIOUS] But wondering.... Brian37 14 2121 January 26, 2019 at 6:36 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  I love my after Christmas Kroger points popeyespappy 3 395 January 4, 2019 at 4:52 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  It's a small world after all. Brian37 8 1567 June 6, 2018 at 8:48 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  The Zombie AF Members as Cats thread Mystical 87 13717 February 6, 2018 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Will you share your food (serious question) ErGingerbreadMandude 39 5583 January 15, 2018 at 2:21 am
Last Post: DLJ