Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 8:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Evil Atheists
Evil Atheists
If I were to meet an atheist who presents as a happy, confident, solvent individual, beautiful family, good friends etc (you get the picture) who went on to tell me the secret of his success in life was to lie, cheat, steal and stab others in the back at every opportunity, take no prisoners and give no quarter, be ruthless with strangers and only protect family and loved ones. How could I tell him that his behavior was "wrong" or "evil" using an atheistic worldview? "The tears of strangers are only water" would be an apt motto for this individual.
RE: Evil Atheists
It's easy, the same way you've been doing so. You could refer to a childrens book, a magazine cover, or the menu at wendys.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(September 10, 2011 at 9:01 am)StatCrux Wrote: If I were to meet an atheist who presents as a happy, confident, solvent individual, beautiful family, good friends etc (you get the picture) who went on to tell me the secret of his success in life was to lie, cheat, steal and stab others in the back at every opportunity, take no prisoners and give no quarter, be ruthless with strangers and only protect family and loved ones.

I've never done wrong, except for a couple of mistakes as a 6 year old. Other than that I've never committed a single crime. And yet I've been an atheist all my life. Morality does not come from religion mate. I'm living proof of that.
I live by basic ideals and the ability to use reason.
Live and let live and treat others as you would like to be treated. It's theists who have had trouble following the rules. Not atheists.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
(September 10, 2011 at 9:14 am)Ace Otana Wrote: I've never done wrong, except for a couple of mistakes as a 6 year old. Other than that I've never committed a single crime. And yet I've been an atheist all my life. Morality does not come from religion mate. I'm living proof of that.
I live by basic ideals and the ability to use reason.
Live and let live and treat others as you would like to be treated. It's theists who have had trouble following the rules. Not atheists.

I'm sure you haven't, but that is entirely irrelevant to the post. I'm asking how you would argue from an atheistic worldview that my imaginary friend was in any way "wrong" to behave as he does. Your personal behavior or that of any other atheists have no relevance to the question.

How could you argue from a scriptural standpoint that there is an absolute moral authority without showing evidence of that authority in the first place? What makes the bible better than the wendys menu as a moral authority (there are french fries but no xenocide on the wendys menu..so, that's Wendys Menu-1 Bible-0)?

I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(September 10, 2011 at 9:20 am)StatCrux Wrote: I'm sure you haven't, but that is entirely irrelevant to the post. I'm asking how you would argue from an atheistic worldview that my imaginary friend was in any way "wrong" to behave as he does. Your personal behavior or that of any other atheists have no relevance to the question.

Wasn't sure what exactly you were going on about.
Well, based on my view of ethics, I think god has done many wrongs. He's guilty of inaction, causing pain and death and if the biblical accounts are true, guilty of genocide. He's a billion times worse than Hitler.
So by my as you put it "atheistic worldview", I think he's a total prick.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
Well, it is blatantly obvious that it is wrong... I don't see how being an atheist really comes into it.

If he can't see that he is a douche, then he can fuck off.
Cunt
(September 10, 2011 at 9:23 am)Rhythm Wrote: How could you argue from a scriptural standpoint that there is an absolute moral authority without showing evidence of that authority in the first place? What makes the bible better than the wendys menu as a moral authority?

Who mentioned the Bible? I'm asking for an atheist to provide an argument as to why the behavior of the person I described could be considered "wrong" from an atheistic worldview. Can you provide an argument or not? Asking whether the Bible is of more use is simply avoiding the issue, from an atheistic perspective the Bible is irrelevant. I would argue that a common belief in a transcendent lawgiver gives a common basis for discussion and agreement, at least a starting point to develop morality, where do you start if the individual does not recognise any lawgiver but themselves?

Man does not need a sky wizard or an arcane tome of fairytales to see in general the theme of right action. I would say that it would be disingenuous to attempt to tell your friend he was doing wrong by means of any religious tool, as it would be substituting one set of wrongs for another.
Trying to update my sig ...
(September 10, 2011 at 9:29 am)frankiej Wrote: Well, it is blatantly obvious that it is wrong... I don't see how being an atheist really comes into it.

Really? how is it obvious? What part of his behavior could be described as being "wrong" from an atheistic worldview? He could be considered to be breaking accepted morality derived from Christian concepts, ingrained in our culture and accepted by many people Christians and non-Christians, but from an atheistic perspective how is he doing anything "wrong"?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bullshit "I'm an atheist but atheism is evil" article in the Grauniad boils my blood GUBU 13 1987 March 30, 2021 at 6:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Argument Against Evil-lution no one 19 3485 January 5, 2020 at 7:58 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Is religion a necessary evil? purplepurpose 35 5180 November 2, 2018 at 8:16 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2197 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
Video God Just Changed His Mind (from Evil to Good) Mental Outlaw 51 14497 April 16, 2015 at 8:41 am
Last Post: Tonus
  The human male, Reason for all evil? fattychan 7 2421 April 12, 2015 at 11:48 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Do you believe in good and evil? KentuckySkeptic224 39 7722 October 17, 2014 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*
  grapplingignorance evil? Sludgeman101 7 2019 August 19, 2014 at 4:56 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Atheism the ideology of evil Dr.Barré 40 18402 December 22, 2012 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  does evil exist in its own right? Doubting_Thomas 38 15612 October 15, 2012 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger