Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 5:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism isn't a worldview, but
Atheism isn't a worldview, but
. . . It springs from one of the three currently at culture war, and there was one exchange from today's evil atheists thread that hit them all perfectly, so I figured I'd see if we can get anything going on the worldview thing. Check it out.

Quote:"I saw Rhythm ask you what moral truth is. I have to ask the same question."

Ok, that's one question, but it's got three answers. Like the trinity, as these guys would say:

Is it true because the bible said it? Is it true because mommy said it?

Folks that answer yes to that are the fundies, the mythic worldview that held ascendency for a few thousand years, so it's got deep roots. All the family values, chosen people, respect for law and order and tradition conservative stuff that drives you crazy springs from this world view, as does the us vs. them, in group/out group dynamic. All behaviors that proved to, uh, confer a survival advantage, etc. They got us a long way and they are still alive and kicking vigorously. But the were eclipsed on the big board by you know who:

Is it true because it is a verifiable process? It isn't "simply a label created in modern times". It is a clinical diagnosis given to an individual who meets the requirements.

Yup, the rational/scientific you know so well. Child of the enlightenment, age of reason, classical age, industrial age, mechanistic, all that. Homecourt for your team, which is why you defend it so strongly. No, we defend it because it's the truth. Well, of course. And it is the truth, except when it isn't. at least when it is. You see, it depends on the context. Which is where these guys come in.

Before we continue, can you define the term sociopath? This is simply a term used in psychology to describe a particular type of person, whether their bahavior is moral or not is debatable, depending upon the outcome of what you define as moral. The term "sociopath" is generally derogatory when used in the context of morality, but using derogatory labels detracts from the fact that "sociopaths" are still part of humanity and so the question of whether they are "moral" or not depends upon how "moral" is defined, it is simply a label created in modern times.

You may have thought that long-winded, but it's relative, and yes, these are the relativists, the post-moderns, greens, multi-cults, all that. If you think it's terribly insensitive and arrogant of me to label people this way, this is definitely the camp for you.

Mythic, rational, relativist. Postmodern relativism, which was a historical reaction to modern scientific/rational, which was a historical reaction to premodern mythic.

These are the big three in the culture wars, and as can be expected, it being war, they hate each other, and each thinks they hold the exclusive answer to the "what is truth" question.

Remember, these aren't people; they are worldviews. We use them all and mix and match, even if we may happen to have one as a center of gravity, and this is why you can't say an atheist is always this or a fundie is always that and all the stuff you guys love to argue about.

All three views are part of development, personally and historically, but since each thinks the other two don't get it, they are at culture war and each one seeking to get ascendency is what it's all about. The particular issues are just the different battle fronts.

RE: Atheism isn't a worldview, but
You need to go establish an ashram Fred.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(September 10, 2011 at 10:46 pm)Rhythm Wrote: You need to go establish an ashram Fred.

You said that, then I looked carefully at Fred's emblem and saw it was Aum, the primary Hindu symbol.

I need a better monitor.
My conclusion is that there is no reason to believe any of the dogmas of traditional theology and, further, that there is no reason to wish that they were true.
Man, in so far as he is not subject to natural forces, is free to work out his own destiny. The responsibility is his, and so is the opportunity.
-Bertrand Russell
Atheism, in my opinion is not a worldview. "Worldview" is such an all-encompassing word. I guess a lot of people don't get that atheists don't have the same book at home that we all revere as sacred. We all have differing views on everything from religion to politics, and just because someone is an atheist doesn't mean there worldview is the same. Truth, in my opinion, is not always permanent. Sometimes the truth changes as we get a better understanding.

(September 11, 2011 at 2:12 am)aleialoura Wrote: Atheism, in my opinion is not a worldview. "Worldview" is such an all-encompassing word. I guess a lot of people don't get that atheists don't have the same book at home that we all revere as sacred. We all have differing views on everything from religion to politics, and just because someone is an atheist doesn't mean there worldview is the same. Truth, in my opinion, is not always permanent. Sometimes the truth changes as we get a better understanding.

Atheism is only a view on the existance or not of a god or gods. It has nothing to say on anything else.

It irks me when people say 'you are an atheist therefore you believe this'

Athesim only means that we dont believe in god, there is no other requirement to being an atheist.

We dont have to believe in the scientific process many do but it is not in fact part of atheism.

That people did not believe was mentioned in the bible and the scientific process was not around at that time.

Did atheists then share our 'world view'?

I think not I think they just DID NOT BELIEVE IN GOD.

Gods, silly idea that belongs in the past.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Why would you want to shoehorn a "world view" onto atheism Fred?? Undecided
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
He isn't going to give us a satisfying answer...
Cunt
Never does does he... bit like so many inaddequate lovers I've known over the years...meh Dodgy
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
He will just make some bullshit up about how we didn't answer any questions properly ourselves... And he will ramble on.

Cunt
(September 10, 2011 at 10:42 pm)Fred Wrote: . . . It springs from one of the three currently at culture war,
No.

Atheism is but a response to the theistic claims about the existence of god as unproven, hasn't sufficiently met its burden of proof, or that it doesn't stand up to scrutiny at all.

Picture all the religions, dogmas and worldviews in the world as all the different colours of the rainbow. Now imagine that Atheism is black. Black is not a colour, it is an absence of colour. A lack of something does not a cognitive orientation of society make.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bullshit "I'm an atheist but atheism is evil" article in the Grauniad boils my blood GUBU 13 1994 March 30, 2021 at 6:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  [Serious] When God isn't the answer to the question, then what is? Catharsis 55 6883 May 31, 2019 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: SlowCalculations
  Isn't Atheism anti Christian than anti religious? Western part atleast Kibbi 14 3518 October 5, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27141 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Why do atheists think Original Sin isn't real? ErGingerbreadMandude 34 6758 January 21, 2017 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  "You're borrowing from my worldview" and "The Christian worldview accounts for..." Adam Blackstar 3 1122 June 9, 2016 at 2:37 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Why the bible ISN'T evidence. Socratic Meth Head 34 7764 April 11, 2016 at 12:57 am
Last Post: an0nemus
  No, Atheism isn't a Religion Napoléon 14 3255 December 14, 2015 at 6:26 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  That's pretty important isn’t it because if awaralarki 8 3203 August 8, 2015 at 8:07 am
Last Post: c172
  UK - Christianity declining, Atheism rising, but so is Islam... TheMessiah 45 13083 June 15, 2015 at 12:05 pm
Last Post: pocaracas