Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 4:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ideas on dealing with creationist.
Ideas on dealing with creationist.
Ok, my big dilemma now is talking atheism to creatonist who has lost someone and thier peace of mind revolves around the idea of heaven and they are in a "better Place" Now as a secular humanist I dismiss anything supernatural.. and when prompted into these conversation i feel kinda bad for questioning their dillusion but i also think its wrong for a person to live a lie. so any tips or suggestions on effective mind freeing techniques would be helpful.. thanks
Bill Maher: If you believe that the world is going to come to an end - and perhaps any day now - does it not drain one's motivation to improve life on earth while we're here?
RE: Ideas on dealing with creationist.
How about the "no more pain" fact?

When you die, life is over, but at least there is no more pain. I have lost several loved ones, and I see why the need for comfort is there.

Tell whoever it is to remember what they learned from the one they lost and treasure it, but also share it with others. Teaching is the only true way to live forever.. or as long as the human species.

Hey can I pretend to be an athiest so I can give you some advice?
Hey I love God he is awsome.
(September 16, 2011 at 6:54 am)FutureAndAHope Wrote: Hey can I pretend to be an athiest so I can give you some advice?

No, fuck off.
(September 16, 2011 at 12:31 am)xxxtobymac Wrote: Ok, my big dilemma now is talking atheism to creatonist who has lost someone and thier peace of mind revolves around the idea of heaven and they are in a "better Place" Now as a secular humanist I dismiss anything supernatural.. and when prompted into these conversation i feel kinda bad for questioning their dillusion but i also think its wrong for a person to live a lie. so any tips or suggestions on effective mind freeing techniques would be helpful.. thanks

There is no dilemma. Your friend is grieving, now is not the time to start bashing them around the head with logic.

As to "wrong", the only wrong is when their beliefs impact negatively on others.

For you to impose your beliefs on them is wrong. If they start to question their belief structure and ask for your advise that is another bucket of kippers entirely.

But you cannot force someone to be an atheist.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
"A man cannot become an atheist merely by wishing it" - Napoleon Bonaparte
(September 16, 2011 at 12:31 am)xxxtobymac Wrote: Ok, my big dilemma now is talking atheism to creatonist who has lost someone and thier peace of mind revolves around the idea of heaven and they are in a "better Place" Now as a secular humanist I dismiss anything supernatural.. and when prompted into these conversation i feel kinda bad for questioning their dillusion but i also think its wrong for a person to live a lie. so any tips or suggestions on effective mind freeing techniques would be helpful.. thanks

You don't really have to talk atheism to your creationist friend. Now isn't really the time to point out that what they believe is all a big lie. Let your friend live their delusion. If it brings them comfort right now, let it go. The only thing you can do is, when they have questions or concerns about their faith, to share your experiences and reasons for being an atheist. Unfortunately, almost no one who is religious will be receptive to being told their faith is a lie.

It's like being told "Turns out your plan wasn't really viable after all. Too bad you spent your life on it.". No one is going to take that well. They will respond harshly, or not at all, and choose to go on with their plan.
Invite them to the forums. I don't mind telling people such things. Your friend could be holding a dead loved one in their arms and I still wouldn't mind telling them such things.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Quote: Ideas on dealing with creationists

Remove the head or destroy the brain.
Cunt
I honestly don't mind people having their false belief for their own comfort. other than the fact that they impose their beleifs and there moral standards on us..and what really irritates me is the just sit and accept what they have been told. instead of looking and searching for the truth themselves. and that is my mission is to try to get as many people as I possibly can to start thinking enough that they challenge their dogma and search the truth themselves. as for my creationist friends that lost someone. the loss was long ago.. or their are some friends that were stricken with deadly dieasies and they claim that "god" is the reason they are cured.
Bill Maher: If you believe that the world is going to come to an end - and perhaps any day now - does it not drain one's motivation to improve life on earth while we're here?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for comments / ideas for WIP project ABCs of Atheism Judashpeters 18 4577 April 9, 2018 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: Judashpeters
  Creationist Moral Panic Amarok 15 5622 June 13, 2017 at 10:42 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Responsibility transfer for atheists - dealing with uncertainty Catma 14 3923 November 28, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: Catma
  An Intersting conversation I had with a Creationist friend of mine. TanithDaUnicorn 39 5876 February 14, 2016 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Natural explanations to former supernatural ideas Won2blv 12 3609 May 17, 2015 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Dealing with Death as an Atheist AlternativeArtStyles 82 12602 May 11, 2015 at 3:44 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Sad Dealing with overly emotional christian parents? interstice 17 3920 September 22, 2014 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Dealing with Religious Family Members Geekyalbatross 10 3028 September 21, 2014 at 2:46 pm
Last Post: Dragonetti
  Dealing with Religious Friends Holden Caulfield 9 2531 July 12, 2014 at 9:02 am
Last Post: vorlon13
Question advice in dealing with fundamentalist inlaws praying at meals? matthewcornell 35 6233 June 9, 2014 at 9:10 am
Last Post: vorlon13