Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:51 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religious to Logic (tell me your story)
Religious to Logic (tell me your story)
If you were religious, but then turned to atheism, I would like to hear your story. What was your religion before? Why did you do it? What did your friends and/or family think? How did this change affect you? Please, make it long too, I'm going to be in photography class for the next hour.
"Truth can never be reached by just listening to the voice of an authority." -- Francis Bacon

RE: Religious to Logic (tell me your story)
GodDidn'tDoIt!
[Image: 4rynft.jpg]

Religion is like a Penis, you shouldn't whip it out in public and you shouldn't shove it down your child's throat.
[Image: ao1i8o.png]
I was a Lutheran (Missourah Synod). I noticed something really odd about John 3:16 at an early age; It could be summarised as "God sacrificed himself to himself to change a rule he made himself." It all just made the whole venture seem entirely pointless. Then I read more of the Bible, and God just became less and less likable; even Jesus had moments of being a total prick, like when he condemned a tree for not having any fruit for him, even though it's out of season. You'd think an avatar of an all-knowing being would have known what fruits would be in and out of season. By the end of that, I decided that I would join the side of Satan. But then, the final step occurred: I read Bertrand Russell's "Why I am not a Christian," and totally stopped believing in God and Satan altogether. By this point, my old church turned out to be totally corrupt and my parents treated it as an understandable consequence of that. Even when I went to a Catholic school, my teachers were readily accepting of my non-belief. They never forced their religion on me, and, in my actual religion classes, I argued with my teachers enough that some people seriously told me I should join the debate team. I didn't because I couldn't stand the structure of debate clubs: a very formal structure, and getting assigned topics you don't care about and positions you don't hold because you think they're bullshit (to this day, I cannot see how any reasonable person could argue that any side of the Israel-Palestine debate has any sort of moral high ground.) But I digress. At any rate, it hasn't really had too much of an effect on my life. I mean, there's a lot of nominally Christian people whose religion doesn't really have much of an effect on their lives.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Very good ^
"Truth can never be reached by just listening to the voice of an authority." -- Francis Bacon

I've always loved the fig tree thing. Jesus as carnival huckster.

Step right up step right up watch me perform a miracle!

::focuses really hard on the tree and nothing happens::

I have cursed this tree ladies and gentleman, right before your very eyes, the next show is at 3:30.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I was religiously atheist and then I freed my mind and became a born again Christian. I'm still fighting that dogma, the all pervasive secularist mind meld, but you guys surely know how that goes.

I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Judging from the title of this thread you consider 'Atheism' to be synonymous with 'logic' - this is tragic.

Atheism is synonymous with apathy, nihilism and despair.

Oh dear....here come the wolves...you've really done it now.

JLY, do you actually want to learn anything about atheists or just spout misinformed blanket statements at us? Atheism is certainly not synonymous with any of those things. I do agree that atheism isn't synonymous with logic either, for the record.
For me the problem of hell and wordly suffering were too much for me to continue to believe in god. After that, I started reading the bible and realized the "kind and loving" guy I was worshipping was an idiotic prideful asshole. Ironic isn't it? God forbids pridefulness but is the most prideful character ever invented? So much so, he gets offended by people who don't believe in him to the point of eternal torture. Fuck him and whoever wrote about him. I decided I wouldn't wanna worship him even he was real. Thank god he's not. Wink
If I die and god is real, im so screwed.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  It's Darwin Day tomorrow - logic and reason demands merriment! Duty 7 758 February 13, 2022 at 10:21 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
Photo The atrocities of religiosity warrant our finest. Logic is not it Ghetto Sheldon 86 5493 October 5, 2021 at 8:41 pm
Last Post: Rahn127
  Questions for your Religious friends. johndoe122931 100 5290 June 5, 2021 at 9:04 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  First order logic, set theory and God dr0n3 293 27020 December 11, 2018 at 11:35 am
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
Tongue Disproving Odin - An Experiment in arguing with a theist with Theist logic Cecelia 983 150694 June 6, 2018 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Raven Orlock
  a challenge All atheists There is inevitably a Creator. Logic says that suni_muslim 65 14434 November 28, 2017 at 5:02 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Should I tell my girlfriend that I'm an atheist? erealmz 45 9062 November 19, 2017 at 9:07 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Atheists, tell me, a Roman Catholic: why should I become an atheist? Balaco 596 92739 June 14, 2017 at 3:26 am
Last Post: Omnisofos
  What is logic? Little Rik 278 54843 May 1, 2017 at 5:40 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  How religious or nonreligious is your family? Casca 44 4327 December 30, 2016 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: camlov2019