Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Was the star of Bethlehem a real astronomical event?
Was the star of Bethlehem a real astronomical event?
I recently came across this web site:

http://www.bethlehemstar.net/

What if science can show, that the 'star' that was a sign of the Messiah's birth, did exist?

Here's a paragraph from the site:

THE STAR OF BETHLEHEM FASCINATES. For millennia, believers, scoffers and the curious have wondered at the Biblical account of the Star. The Bible recounts unusual, or even impossible astronomical events at Christ's birth. For many doubters, the account of the Star is easily dismissed as myth. For many believers, it's a mystery accepted on faith. But what happens if we combine current historical scholarship, astronomical fact and an open mind? Judge for yourself...

For those who don't like reading, there is this video :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCLmRB-OpGE

I'd very much appreciate any feedback. Thinking
"The eternal mystery of the world is its comprehensibility"

Albert Einstein
RE: Was the star of Bethlehem a real astronomical event?
You're a very credulous person, aren't you? Are you interested in buying some ocean view property from me? It's in Kansas City.
[Image: 5371631857_303a5779fb.jpg]
undefined
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3077385/ns/t...p6n597qfRJ

Sorry CoxRox, but even if an astronomical event occured it said nothing about the godboy, as you should know, religions do take advantage to their rethoric for unexplained or coincidental natural events.

What do you think its more probable, a star folowed the kings or that someone that didn's understanded what was it explained it with Goddidit?

As ElD as said before, you can't be this gullible.
PS- when I come from the beach at night, the moon is always over the direction of my house, and it stays above when I reach there. Does it mean my house is blessed?
Then all of the other gods with herald stars? Do they also receive this courtesy Cox?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
So this guy is able to show that Jupiter retrogaded in Dec 2BC, that is, written in the NT as the star of Bethlehem stopped, and that is supposed to have announced the birth of the son of God, Jesus?!?!?

Is there any wonder that sceptics call Christians as being naive, gullible and self-deluded?
(October 19, 2011 at 5:13 am)CoxRox Wrote: I recently came across this web site:

http://www.bethlehemstar.net/

What if science can show, that the 'star' that was a sign of the Messiah's birth, did exist?

Here's a paragraph from the site:

THE STAR OF BETHLEHEM FASCINATES. For millennia, believers, scoffers and the curious have wondered at the Biblical account of the Star. The Bible recounts unusual, or even impossible astronomical events at Christ's birth. For many doubters, the account of the Star is easily dismissed as myth. For many believers, it's a mystery accepted on faith. But what happens if we combine current historical scholarship, astronomical fact and an open mind? Judge for yourself...

I'd very much appreciate any feedback. Thinking

Well..let me start by saying; "Hello, nice to meet you, I dont think Ive seen you in here before."

Second, I would like to mention that someone could EASILY mistake your name of "CoxRox" to mean all kinds of naughty things that may cause Sweet baby Jesus to cry.

Third, I didnt watch your movie. It's not you...it's me. You see, I read the entire Bible back when I was a believer and I learned something from it:

Jesus and God are fucking douche bags.

I switched from a born again to an atheist after reading the entire bible.

so, with that said, I couldnt care less if the bible was 100% accurate or not. Jesus and god are made out to look like absolute pricks in the bible and I personally do not want anything to do with them regardless of wether they are real or imaginary friends that some douche bags invented back in the sheep fucking bronze age.

I rarely ever get into debates over that fucked up book anymore because I think it is POORLY written literature anyways, regardless if it were historical or not. All past attempts at disgussing the bible with christians have been met with "thats out of context..its symbolic..that doesnt apply anymore" so many, many times...

..that I have decided that the entire bible is out of context, symbolic, and no longer applies any more...which is probably for the better.
(October 19, 2011 at 9:22 am)Rhythm Wrote: Then all of the other gods with herald stars? Do they also receive this courtesy Cox?

You mean like Horus?

Fuck no..besides, Horus isnt popular anymore, but Jesus is..which means there is money to be had from spreading the bullshit around.

When will these fucktards realize that all of their "best arguments" can easily be used to "prove" almost every other religion or god or goddess out there?

Its been well over 2000 years now, and they still havent come up with a unique argument to prove that Christ actually existed...much less was a supernatural entity.

I just roll my eyes and crack another beer... hopefully the nutters will go away quietly of their own accords.
Cox treads the line between sanity and religious nuttery. Credit where it's due.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(October 19, 2011 at 11:47 am)Rhythm Wrote: Cox treads the line between sanity and religious nuttery. Credit where it's due.

Yeah..this is my first time coming across him..

So far he seems nice.

..about as sharp as a bag of wet mice.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Relic to return to Bethlehem in time for Christmas zebo-the-fat 18 2185 December 8, 2019 at 7:52 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Christianity's Shoe Event Horizon Bow Before Zeus 5 1266 January 1, 2018 at 8:28 am
Last Post: Bow Before Zeus
  In light of a tragic event... dyresand 10 3592 October 14, 2015 at 11:35 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Did Bethlehem in Judea exist at the time of Jesus and at the time of David Ziploc Surprise 0 2051 January 1, 2013 at 2:24 pm
Last Post: Ziploc Surprise
  star of wonder. was it the SAME thing as zeus' 'weapon' the lightning bolt? nickos777 6 3870 May 15, 2010 at 6:51 am
Last Post: Welsh cake