Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 2:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What is your Favorite Religious Contradiction?
What is your Favorite Religious Contradiction?
This can be any religion at all, don't stick specifically with Christianity. Mine is when Jesus said, "If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother,his wife and children, his brothers and sisters... Yes, even his own life, he cannot be my disciple." Luke 14:25

This one really doesn't make any sense. This totally goes against the commandment love thy father and mother.
I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. -Richard Dawkins Thinking
[Image: 9jeh6q.png]
[Image: 16kvqqp.png]
RE: What is your Favorite Religious Contradiction?
My "favourite" contradiciton is when Moses get the ten comandment (don't know how to spell it) where one of the comandment says "You shall not kill". Later when they reach a town in Palestine, after have walking in circles for decades, they kill all the people there.

Think that's very odd thing. Also when they kill all children and women, which is even more wrong. Seems like killing other people with other religion is quite ok, according to the old testament.
I totally understand. The entire chapter 20 of Leviticus tells us to kill so many people, even disobedient children. Which definitely goes against the Ten Commandments.
I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. -Richard Dawkins Thinking
[Image: 9jeh6q.png]
[Image: 16kvqqp.png]
(April 4, 2009 at 12:59 pm)Ted1205 Wrote: This can be any religion at all, don't stick specifically with Christianity. Mine is when Jesus said, "If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother,his wife and children, his brothers and sisters... Yes, even his own life, he cannot be my disciple." Luke 14:25

This one really doesn't make any sense. This totally goes against the commandment love thy father and mother.

That is one of several [especially] strange sayings attributed to Jesus.They are known collectively as "The dark sayings of Jesus" .Although a Jesuit sophist will sail through them, a basic fundy will not. It's a lot of fun asking some creationist simpleton to explain the "Dark Sayings" then to sit back and watch it tie itself in knots.Cool Shades

The Torah is full of such sayings, it's an entire field of apology.
Philippians 3:8 - 8What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ.

I believe most Christians vastly fall short of the standard of living that is required of a servant of Jesus.

At the very least, many western Christians still find it appropriate to have a big house, nice car, etc etc etc, when rather they're calling is to a simple life of worship of God. Too many Christians feel that it's ok to twist the words of the bible to suit their desires. I usually wouldn't care, but if everyone is twisting the words to mean different things and different standards then the bible is rendered useless by the vast amount of rubbish interpretations out there.
"I think that God in creating Man somewhat overestimated his ability." Oscar Wilde
My Blog | Why I Don't Believe in God
@ thoughtful: Damn straight
@thoughtful

Some of the happy clappy churches here preach a nifty idea called "prosperity theology",claiming god wants his servants to be prosperous. You can just forget about "it's easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven"
Ha, yeah I've heard about them. We've the odd one around here but I don't pay them much attention.

In Christianity, there's something to be said for the "riches of Jesus" but money? The same bible is says "the love of money is the root of all evil" (1 Timothy 6:10) but a lot of these churches promote a "love of money". They don't seem to get that their message contradicts their message.
"I think that God in creating Man somewhat overestimated his ability." Oscar Wilde
My Blog | Why I Don't Believe in God
It's always depressed me seeing priests saying prayers with the military and then blessing bombs and other wmd before they are despatched.
Seems to contradict " love thy neighbour " or " blessed are the peacemakers " to name but 2...there must be others.
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
I'm always intrigued by the contradictions between the Old and the New Testament, it seems that God changes his "attitude" according to the situation of the Jews, in the times of the Old testament when the Jews are a dominant nation under the great kings such as Solomon and David their god is described as a wrathful, vengeful and a warrior god, when the Israelites conquer new territories they spare nobody, they have a religion of the masters but in the times of the New Testament when they are weakened and conquered by the Romans things change, there are no more longer masters, they are slaves and they adapt their religion according to the new situation, their god suddenly preaches love, compassion, kindness and peace. This is very strange in my opinion.
Personally, it's not God I dislike, it's his fan club I can't stand.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invent your own saint, prophet, or religious equivalent The Valkyrie 32 3609 July 1, 2018 at 9:00 am
Last Post: oldpollock
  Add your favorite JESUS QUOTE in this thread for comedy relief!! 21stCenturyIconoclast 33 4418 January 22, 2017 at 2:38 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Post your favorite examples of religion trying to be "cool" Bunburryist 6 1100 August 22, 2016 at 4:00 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  Your responses to religious people on FB Foxaèr 4 1171 August 16, 2016 at 5:41 am
Last Post: Gemini
  How flexible is your religious morality? robvalue 24 7327 August 12, 2015 at 6:14 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Religious theists: question about your morality robvalue 24 4931 April 5, 2015 at 11:27 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  Dealing with your religious family. 5thHorseman 22 6832 February 9, 2015 at 6:45 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Your Favorite Violent Part of the Bible Nope 44 11197 January 5, 2015 at 11:07 am
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  Common self contradiction of the religious Freedom of thought 55 11739 June 20, 2014 at 9:27 am
Last Post: Freedom of thought
  Your favorite biblical WTF moments ablenova 10 5522 December 9, 2013 at 2:01 am
Last Post: Mystical