Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:02 am

Poll: What would you be prepared to change in your morality if god ordered it?
This poll is closed.
I wouldn't change anything.
50.00%
1 50.00%
I would change a few things, such as...
0%
0 0%
I would change most things, but not...
0%
0 0%
I would change anything he told me to.
50.00%
1 50.00%
Total 2 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How flexible is your religious morality?
How flexible is your religious morality?
This a question for anyone who feels like their morality is in some way determined by a god.

Imagine god turned up and spoke to everyone in the world at once. He says that he wants to clear up what is moral and what isn't moral. My question is how much would you be willing to change your views, based on what he said?

For example, if he said rape was now moral, would you go along with that and have no problem with it in the future, or would you still think it is immoral? I'm hoping people would generally still think it was immoral. If you would be prepared to switch some things from immoral to moral, and vice versa, please give a few examples of those. Such as, "I think masturbation is immoral, but if god said it was moral, I'd be happy to change my mind about it."

Many thanks!
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
RE: How flexible is your religious morality?
I'll prepare the crickets, sir
If I was religious I would answer that god has better things to do than to show up in front of us and dictate what we should or shouldn't do right now - But if it happened I wouldn't start raping, but god wouldn't do that anyway because he's against sins and rape is a sin, etc.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

[Image: 11R5KYi6ZdP8Z2.gif]
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Ah we've got one vote. Wouldn't change anything. Cool. I won't ask people to identify themselves if they don't want to.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
I'd just figure it was a hallucination and wonder who slipped me the fantastic acid.

Vote no change.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(August 10, 2015 at 9:04 am)ignoramus Wrote: [Image: 11R5KYi6ZdP8Z2.gif]

Hey! Get back in the box you lil bastard! >:c
I'd suppose the 'believers' hearing the word of god would not have much problem with new instructions conflicting with existing instructions since the existing instructions are already contradictory and confusing.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

What I don't get is people saying that they wouldn't follow the new instructions from actual God, because they contradict the old instructions people said were from God. So... they keep the authority of the fake instructions? What authority is that?

Clearly the author is of no relevance whatsoever, it's just a matter of if they personally agree with the instructions after all.

Which is a good thing, don't get me wrong. It's how it should be.

We have someone weighing in on "would change anything he wanted". Interesting.

Index of my best videos
(August 10, 2015 at 1:45 pm)robvalue Wrote: We have someone weighing in on "would change anything he wanted". Interesting.
Spineless ass kisser.

Relax/joke.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evolution cannot account for morality chiknsld 341 33127 January 1, 2023 at 10:06 pm
Last Post: sdelsolray
  Invent your own saint, prophet, or religious equivalent The Valkyrie 32 3601 July 1, 2018 at 9:00 am
Last Post: oldpollock
  Debate: God & Morality: William Lane Craig vs Erik Wielenberg Jehanne 16 3393 March 2, 2018 at 8:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Your responses to religious people on FB Foxaèr 4 1170 August 16, 2016 at 5:41 am
Last Post: Gemini
  Morality versus afterlife robvalue 163 31048 March 13, 2016 at 6:40 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  Morality quiz, and objective moralities robvalue 14 4493 January 31, 2016 at 7:15 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Religion is a poor source of morality Cecelia 117 17067 October 10, 2015 at 5:26 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  "Ultimate" meaning, "objective" morality, and "inherent" worth. Esquilax 6 3631 June 25, 2015 at 4:06 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Religious theists: question about your morality robvalue 24 4931 April 5, 2015 at 11:27 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  Dealing with your religious family. 5thHorseman 22 6823 February 9, 2015 at 6:45 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain