Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:50 am

Poll: How likely is it you'd stop caring about the morality of your actions if you lost religion?
This poll is closed.
Certain
0%
0 0%
Probable
14.29%
1 14.29%
Possible
14.29%
1 14.29%
Unlikely
28.57%
2 28.57%
Impossible
42.86%
3 42.86%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religious theists: question about your morality
Religious theists: question about your morality
I've heard a lot about the idea that religious morality is all that keeps some people from randomly doing whatever they want without caring about the consequences. So my question to theists is if you suddenly lost belief in your religion, how likely would it be that you would radically alter your behaviour towards others?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
RE: Religious theists: question about your morality
No one has any idea what they would do?

That's even more scary Shock
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
It's an honest question. And being that it's an honest question, you may not get a lot of answers from the theists on this board. But I give you ten thousand kudos for asking it!
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
Thank you Smile

Yes, it's no trick question. I'm genuinely interested, because this is something I hear about all the time.

If the answer is, "Well I'd never lose my religion" then you won't ever have to find out if your answer is true, so just go with the hypothetical Smile

Index of my best videos
I hear about it too. Unfortunately, there might only be a handful of responses on here because of those individuals being in the minority here. But now that you've posted it, I'd like to hear the answers too.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
Yeah, I wonder what would happen if I asked this on a christian forum? Would I get banned?

Index of my best videos
For sure. Within minutes because well, you're asking them to be honest about their morality.
A Christian would add a pile of things to the existing definition of morality, so they would never be satisfied. I am just as likely to hate, without being guilty of murder, or thinking a woman is beautiful without being guilty of adultery (thank-you Ray Comfort). So by the 'Christian definition' of morality I am likely to be more moral, because I have fewer reasons to hate people for.
Didn't vote as I'm outside the parameters. Good question though.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Drich is banned, you're not going to get many answers
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Serious question about thoughts on theists Kingpin 118 6684 May 18, 2023 at 2:44 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Evolution cannot account for morality chiknsld 341 33167 January 1, 2023 at 10:06 pm
Last Post: sdelsolray
  Theists: What is your stance on evolution? Agnostic1 118 9992 March 27, 2022 at 8:48 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Theists, tell me, an atheist, why your God has neglected to show himself to me? ignoramus 75 24813 March 5, 2021 at 6:49 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Invent your own saint, prophet, or religious equivalent The Valkyrie 32 3609 July 1, 2018 at 9:00 am
Last Post: oldpollock
  Question to theists purplepurpose 172 26596 June 21, 2018 at 4:18 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Theists, please describe how you experience your god I_am_not_mafia 161 16735 June 15, 2018 at 9:37 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  A friendly religious discussion with theists without any fallacies! ignoramus 18 3223 May 14, 2018 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Debate: God & Morality: William Lane Craig vs Erik Wielenberg Jehanne 16 3394 March 2, 2018 at 8:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  I have a question about religious parents Der/die AtheistIn 22 3729 January 25, 2018 at 7:56 pm
Last Post: brewer