Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:56 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sacrifice not efficacious for moderns
Sacrifice not efficacious for moderns
One of the objections I have to Christianity is its continued belief in the efficaciousness of the ritual of sacrifice. It seems that modern Christians have taken over a belief that is otherwise abandoned by civilized people. "Making sacrifice" is not a regular practice of advanced civilizations. Even so, the belief in sacrifice is dragged into the modern world where it functions anachronistically.
RE: Sacrifice not efficacious for moderns
Good for you.
Cunt
So you are arguing that religion is "not efficacious" for the 21st Century??
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
It wasn't efficacious in the 1st century either, or at any point in time whatsoever for anyone anywhere. It didn't work then, no surprise that it doesn't work now.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(October 25, 2011 at 7:16 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: So you are arguing that religion is "not efficacious" for the 21st Century??

More specifically, Christianity is based upon a primitive, superstitious ritual--sacrifice.
(October 25, 2011 at 10:49 am)Rhythm Wrote: It wasn't efficacious in the 1st century either, or at any point in time whatsoever for anyone anywhere. It didn't work then, no surprise that it doesn't work now.

Agreed.
According to my current view, the historical Jesus thought he was the Messiah but turned out to be wrong. This was because he ascribed to apocalyptic Messianism, a mythological construct. In GMark, he went from extreme confidence to utter dispair because the Messianic age did not materialize as he expected:

The high priest put a second question to him saying, 'Are you the Christ, the Son of the Blessed One?'

14:62 'I am,' said Jesus, 'and you will see the Son of man seated at the right hand of the Power and coming with the clouds of heaven.'

This expectation of the imminent coming of the Messianic age was finally disappointed. So Jesus cried as he was dying:

34 And at the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, 'Eloi, eloi, lama sabachthani?' which means, 'My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?'

Like the ritual of sacrifice, apocalypticism
According to my current view, the historical Jesus thought he was the Messiah but turned out to be wrong. This was because he ascribed to apocalyptic Messianism, a mythological construct. In GMark, he went from extreme confidence to utter dispair because the Messianic age did not materialize as he expected:

The high priest put a second question to him saying, 'Are you the Christ, the Son of the Blessed One?'

14:62 'I am,' said Jesus, 'and you will see the Son of man seated at the right hand of the Power and coming with the clouds of heaven.'

This expectation of the imminent coming of the Messianic age was finally disappointed. So Jesus cried as he was dying:

34 And at the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, 'Eloi, eloi, lama sabachthani?' which means, 'My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?'

Like the ritual of sacrifice, apocalypticism/messianism is an outmoded, primitive construct that finally betrayed Jesus and his followers.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sacrifice Shuffle 82 12645 August 29, 2015 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: Shuffle
  Jesus sacrifice and why it didn't count dyresand 30 5153 August 1, 2015 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Jesus' Sacrifice Nope 59 11452 March 9, 2015 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why is Christ's death considered a sacrifice? RobbyPants 74 15786 August 8, 2014 at 2:08 am
  Child Sacrifice in the Old Testament Mudhammam 91 26739 January 28, 2014 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  "WHAT" sacrifice truthBtold 12 4290 January 10, 2014 at 7:32 pm
Last Post: Ryantology
  If Jesus came back to life....what was his sacrifice? Ucaslog1 101 31700 November 27, 2013 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: Tonus
  Why blood sacrifice? Raven 38 14423 July 19, 2013 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  What Sacrifice ? Cinjin 96 27393 April 17, 2013 at 7:27 pm
Information God commands child sacrifice (not Isaac story) Tea Earl Grey Hot 144 52820 October 3, 2012 at 6:35 am
Last Post: Brian37