Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:58 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
the late Jade Goody
the late Jade Goody
Michael Parkinson, veteran interviewer, has today controversially described Jade Goody as " all that is wretched about Great Britain today ".

What do you think?
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
RE: the late Jade Goody
Agree 100%. She made money out of her death by selling herself to the tabloids. She wasn't doing it for her sons, she was doing it to cash in, like she has done ever since she appeared on Big Brother.
Who's Jade Goody and do I need to care?
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(April 7, 2009 at 12:15 pm)leo-rcc Wrote: Who's Jade Goody and do I need to care?

She rose to "fame" by appearing on the UK big brother.
She became well-known basically because she was stupid.

Since then she's appeared in the gutter press fairly frequently, although I can't imagine anything interesting that could have been written about her.

She recently developed cervical cancer and died. She again sold her story to the gutter press, going as far as selling her "goodbye" letter to her children to a newspaper and having her funeral broadcast live.

The funny thing is, after repeatedly saying she was doing it for her children when it was clearly just for the money, she died on mothers day!

In answer to your second question, no :p.

bozo Wrote:What do you think?

I think Parkinson was spot on.
Galileo was a man of science oppressed by the irrational and superstitious. Today, he is used by the irrational and superstitious who claim they are being oppressed by science - Mark Crislip
To be honest, before she actually died I was skeptical she even had cancer. She was the kind of woman who would fake something like this to get money, and the fact that she actually had cancer doesn't change my opinion of her as a scheming greedy pig. She has no kind of values at all.
(April 7, 2009 at 11:44 am)Tiberius Wrote: Agree 100%. She made money out of her death by selling herself to the tabloids. She wasn't doing it for her sons, she was doing it to cash in, like she has done ever since she appeared on Big Brother.

I strongly disagree.

I didn't like her, I didn't like what she represented but I can't fault her for making the most of an opportunity, nor can I fault her for doing the best she could for her sons ... she recognised she was uneducated and was determined her sons wouldn't be the same and she has also done a lot to promote cervical scans in woman particularly those from her social class. You can argue whether any of that is good or whether what she represented was good but I don't think you can fault her ... what would you have her do? Admit she's too thick to be a star and step aside?

The blame, IMO, lies fairly and squarely with the media agencies that promoted her and such promotion is typical in the tabloid media of today.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
(April 7, 2009 at 11:35 am)bozo Wrote: Michael Parkinson, veteran interviewer, has today controversially described Jade Goody as " all that is wretched about Great Britain today ".

What do you think?

I disagree with the statement. Mostly I couldn't stand the sight or sound of her and disagreed with a lot of what she said. To use the word 'all' however, is a stretch. This would imply that she hadn't done anything at all virtuous ever. Though I cannot name an act of virtue off the top of my head I can recognise that I am hardly in a position to name such a thing since I have hardly paid anything less than a passing glance to all the media available to me on the subject. Additionally the aforementioned media was probably negativity biased as well. The same media everyone here will be biasing your views off of.

In all, I can't hold a rational opinion on the matter without further research. Research I do not particularly care to do.

(April 7, 2009 at 2:02 pm)Tiberius Wrote: the fact that she actually had cancer doesn't change my opinion of her as a scheming greedy pig. She has no kind of values at all.
Tiberius there, speaking of a deceased mother of two.
Hoi Zaeme.
(April 7, 2009 at 3:41 pm)rjh Wrote:
(April 7, 2009 at 2:02 pm)Tiberius Wrote: the fact that she actually had cancer doesn't change my opinion of her as a scheming greedy pig. She has no kind of values at all.
Tiberius there, talking of a deceased mother of two.
The fact that she is deceased, or a mother of two doesn't change the fact she was greedy and scheming. My opinion of her changed after the racism incident. I can't see any values she ever had.
Oh lets talk about the racism incident shall we? Should kill a number of posts.

Now that was an incident truly blown out of all proportions. Looking at the original footage, she said nigger in a totally and utterly inoffensive manor. I believe the after effect only became so large due to the daily mail effect. She was trying to be friendly, and because of the way the media posed it lead a lot of people to believe she was a racist. Which I see no evidence for beyond circumstantial.
I am appalled at the backlash the comment got from the public. I see it as a grievous attack to freedom of speech as a whole. Fundamentalist Muslims can voice their ill founded objections to the armed forces but a woman cant call another woman a name in jest which would be acceptable if from another person with a similar skin pigmentation? This just seems wrong to me.
Hoi Zaeme.
(April 7, 2009 at 4:12 pm)rjh Wrote: Oh lets talk about the racism incident shall we? Should kill a number of posts.

In addition Shetti (is that how you spell it?) wasn't offend and Goody went on the Indian version of BB to make amends ... obviously it's debatable as to why she went on it but she did go and to my mind the fact that they are willing to apologise and make amends says a lot about someone.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  It' s never too late to start onlinebiker 2 407 October 18, 2021 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Spooky
  Mid-late 2000's internet was the best time for the web. Mechaghostman2 6 808 June 14, 2020 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: Mechaghostman2
  sorry for the late notice Drich 26 1875 May 12, 2019 at 2:35 am
Last Post: WolfsChild
  How Long Does Someone Have to be Dead Before People stop Referring to them as Late? Rhondazvous 10 3091 May 18, 2017 at 11:58 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Better late than never! Losty 95 14155 August 7, 2016 at 4:46 am
Last Post: Losty
  The Late Night Rambling Insomnia Thread: Random Nothingess Athene 207 19825 February 9, 2016 at 2:16 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Late night messages from me dyre dyresand 9 2287 February 6, 2016 at 8:11 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Cooking with Dyre Double Recipe Late night munchies + Bread pudding dyresand 0 1334 November 13, 2015 at 2:50 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Late night rant geckomamasita 1 1264 October 4, 2015 at 3:59 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Rangers will honor late fan with ballpark statue Judas BentHer 5 1569 August 16, 2011 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Minimalist