Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are people with ASD's more likely to be atheists
Are people with ASD's more likely to be atheists
http://www.autismkey.com/study-finds-cor...nd-autism/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/a...k-two.html

http://csjarchive.cogsci.rpi.edu/proceed...er0782.pdf (this a study published in a peer review journal)

After reading this articles and doing some thinking. Do you think people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders are more likely to be atheists than those who dont have ASD's.

I have to say in my experience of meeting many people with ASD's or at least suspected had ASD's. Overall when it came to religious views, they did not seem much different from people who don't have ASD's. For example; I know an teenage boy who is an evangelical christian and young adult guy who is a devout Catholic.

Although I do admit the hardcore anti-religion people met I have met, I suspected had an ASD. Maybe it was the obsessive nature of their opposition to religion perhaps.
undefined
RE: Are people with ASD's more likely to be atheists
Ya know Trist...

I was having this very discussion with Zen. Most of the ASD clients I am aware of are more atheistic but will still defer to an authority figure.

Question is ...are the so called "religious" normal or on the autistic continuum??
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
I am someone close to the autism spectrum. I'm heavily introverted and have difficulty picking up social clues from the environment. Also I have difficulty looking people in the eyes. I have found ways around the many social problems associated with the disorder. I no longer rate on the autism scale but when I was younger I was a mess.

I became a fundie at age 12. Christianity provided for me a construct that explained the psychological phenomena (what could be called spiritual phenomena if you are a believer in such things) I had been experiencing all my life. Fundamentalism provided for me a structure of morality that I needed. Before you say WTF let me explain. When you have difficulty picking up social clues from the environment and you are heavily introverted you need to have obvious social things explained to you over and over until you somehow get it. Some normal people don't need any of this stuff explained to them. They are so sensitive to the social clues around them they know what to say and do and when to say them.I lacked this. To add to things I came from a screwed up family and my mom drank too much so I didn't even get the basics of how to behave in a social situation and some of the basics of right and wrong. Fundamentalism beats this stuff into your head. In this case it helped. The order and predictability was also a useful thing.

There are much much better ways to teach autistics morality and social interaction. Steven Covey has written some books which teaches social interaction and other things in a very logical way. It shows cause and effect and how what you do effects you personally (great for introverts). I don't know if I would have been able to understand it as a young teenager but if I had that book when I was around 18 I doubt fundamentalism would have had the appeal it had. Furthermore if books that explained scientifically the psychological mechanism behind "spiritual" experiences I think that would have helped also. I remembered reading a few but they were really weird. Brain science was just coming out of it's infancy then so the theories were a little far fetched. Of course understanding autism helps also, in this case the understanding might help reduce the need for a "god" to fix you.

These days people understand autism better and are better able to meet the needs of autistics. This fact should, theoretically effect results of any atuism religion study.
If they were to do a autism and religion study again they need to do it on a much larger scale and include people of all age groups. In particular interest would be the differences between groups (autistics and normal functioning people) as it relates to who keeps their religion between the ages of 15-25 (a usual fall off age) and again at middle age (ages 35-50).

Between the ages of 15-25 is a time when a person chooses to believe or not to believe for him or herself the beliefs of their parents. Another age of transition is middle age. During this time a person's career has been underway for quite some time, children are older thus freeing up a lot of time to look back at the accumulated life experiences they have had. Some people call this mid life crisis. During the re evaluation period religion and belief is evaluated also. If deconversion does exist at a higher rate at this time then It might be a fair assumption that midlife revaluation is the stimulus that caused the change. It would be interesting if (if drop off does occur in higher numbers at this age) there is a difference between autistics and non autistics.
I have studied the Bible and the theology behind Christianity for many years. I have been to many churches. I have walked the depth and the breadth of the religion and, as a result of this, I have a lot of bullshit to scrape off the bottom of my shoes. ~Ziploc Surprise

I might have a hunch some of the really obsessive religious types have at least some autistic traits. But then again you can say about people who are obsessive about anything really.

Although I do think (feel free to correct me) that people on the autistic spectrum are more likely to be left brained as opposed to right brained. Hence less likely to engage in lateral "out of the box" thinking. Such out of the box thinking makes people more likely to interpret certain things in religious writings and doctrine symbolically rather than literally.

Given that line of reasoning, I guess the lower level of lateral thinking for people on the autistic spectrum would make them more likely to be hold to views which are considered quite extreme (such as "strong" atheism or say Fundamentalist Christianity).
undefined
Quote:Question is ...are the so called "religious" normal or on the autistic continuum??

"Everyone is insane except thee and me---and lately I've been having doubts about thee" (anon)
(November 14, 2011 at 12:13 am)Justtristo Wrote: I might have a hunch some of the really obsessive religious types have at least some autistic traits. But then again you can say about people who are obsessive about anything really.

Although I do think (feel free to correct me) that people on the autistic spectrum are more likely to be left brained as opposed to right brained. Hence less likely to engage in lateral "out of the box" thinking. Such out of the box thinking makes people more likely to interpret certain things in religious writings and doctrine symbolically rather than literally.

Given that line of reasoning, I guess the lower level of lateral thinking for people on the autistic spectrum would make them more likely to be hold to views which are considered quite extreme (such as "strong" atheism or say Fundamentalist Christianity).
Perhaps a better explanation relies not so much in autism but in personality theory. Specificially MBTI. After all autism is still little understood.

The problems with logic: Logic can have a "garbage in garbage out"(input output error). Start first with a strong need to understand things. Then put in garbage information (things that simply aren't true) and garbage theories, and garbage is the result. If it's the only thing that attempts to explain the thing so you keep it because you must have some sort of construct to explain these things. some people keep their garbage some keep it only until they have found something that works better. The motives to either keep permanently or temporarily are personality based.

Now add in irrationality. Some sort of internal or external reason for sticking with a theory that has many holes in it. These reasons can be very powerful. It can cause a person to believe and defend their beliefs despite the holes. It causes a person to cherry pick (have selective attention) to what they want to believe and ignore anything else. I will list a few but it is not necessary to have all of them to be a believer. It is also possible that these "reasons" correlate positively with personality; specifically MBTI personality.

1) The presence of spiritual phenomena. This can be a strong and overwhelming thing. In the absence of anything else to explain it, it can be like a proof that god exists. To a point, the experience of "spiritual" phenomena can be the proof that this deity that has been handed to you by a religious organization exists. Naturally the thing that can properly explain the "what exists" is science. Unfortunately the last of the sciences to mature are Psychology and brain science. Psychology is difficult to prove and Brain science relies on equipment that has only been developed in the last few decades and even these instruments are too crude to give a complete picture. In the past Psychology has had pathetic scientific explanations for spiritual phenomena. Supposedly there are much better explanations available now a days. Brain science has come a long way. I am in the process of looking into these explanations. So far the prospects appear hopeful.

2) A place where you can exercise what you are good at if you are good at caring and sharing your emotions. Christianity is a place where you can care and share your feelings with other people and (possibly) with god. Some people really get something out of doing this at frequent intervals. Sermons are often feeling based. To try to understand one of these feeling types, I once asked someone who was into reading those touchy feely novels, (some of which were romance novels others were just books that told stories of human relationships) why she did that (what she got out of it). She said that when she read she let out a lot of emotion. She said that "after I let out all this emotion I feel exhausted but satisfied. I feel good." So I assume that to some people the things you do when you are religious makes you feel good because you can exercise something you are good at which is letting out and sharing emotion. This was never a draw for me (actually it was more of a repulsion) but I have noticed it as quite a strong draw for others.

3)I think I have mentioned how Pentecostalism can be a drug and how it can give false hope for the hopeless. Even though the "miracle breakthroughs" promised by the preachers never come or never are fully realized, the hope in what you do not see is still there. To better understand this let's look at a phenomena. In his book "The Pursuit of Happiness" (a movie was made about it recently) Chris Garner mentioned that the closer he came to his goal the more doubt came into his mind. The more he thought "what is someone like me doing this?" (he was studying to become a broker). I can explain this by saying that things seem more achievable in the fantasy world. Fantasy is risk free. They can be created and dashed and new ones can take their place. The more close to reality a dream becomes the more in touch you become with your ability to do the thing you are trying to accomplish. This is where self esteem (what you believe about yourself) can either boost you up or kill you. It takes a strong will to plow through poor self esteem. It's easier to abdicate responsibility and believe that god will miraculously make things happen for you than to go through what you need to go through to reach your dreams. You don't have to work, you don't have to fight with your self esteem, and in some cases you don't have to mature.

4) A desire for order. This is an odd belief that many many people hold very strongly. In this case the quest to have and maintain order is the ultimate goal in any venture and it should be the end result of any venture. It is also always a maintenance issue; once it's established things must be put in place to ensure that order is maintained. Order is the thing (they believe) that produces peace because in an ordered society everyone (with only a small margin for individual differences) will believe and act the same way. Order also produces productivity because people aren't mucking about with too much contemplation. Religion and a desire for order go together nicely. Religion is a system that is set up once and then maintained thereafter. What makes it even better is the authority that an omniscient omnipresent god can give to the system. If the words one must obey come not from humans but from god who has the ability to smite your ass, then you are really screwed if you break the rules/beliefs. It also gives (a false) authority to any human who tries to uphold order. He or she can say that "god says this or that or god has put me in authority over you so you must obey"....blah blah blah. Order can naturally be opposed to contemplation, rational thought, and exploration because when one does these things it almost naturally leads to new ideas and discoveries that challenge the established system; it can shift mental paradigms. I believe that it is this last thing that is a major cause for hatred for the atheists. If you look at religion through the lens of a need for order atheists completely fuck the system at every level. It's more than just questioning the system (which is bad enough for some people), it's fucking it up. Religion and science almost never mix well.
I have studied the Bible and the theology behind Christianity for many years. I have been to many churches. I have walked the depth and the breadth of the religion and, as a result of this, I have a lot of bullshit to scrape off the bottom of my shoes. ~Ziploc Surprise

Here's a video about someone who says he has asperger's (mentioned at 2:10) and is an ex christian.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSpbp-Sck...st&list=UL

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you had to pick between people who pimp prostitutes vs religious people Woah0 22 1948 August 28, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Have you met people criticizing atheists who use the expression OMG Der/die AtheistIn 30 4226 April 3, 2019 at 11:42 am
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Humanist marriages 'least likely to end in divorce' Duty 20 3462 March 11, 2019 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  Do Christians really contribut to society more than atheists Asmodee 12 4473 June 27, 2018 at 1:19 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  How Do Atheists Help[ People? Rhondazvous 32 6075 March 14, 2018 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: mlmooney89
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2201 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Are US Atheists just people with daddy issues? Ronia 22 8845 August 20, 2017 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  There are more American Atheists than we thought Aroura 26 8632 May 27, 2017 at 11:16 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Any other atheists just feel an acute intolerance for religious people? WisdomOfTheTrees 93 14355 February 10, 2017 at 3:35 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Are the churches using atheists to gain more converts? madog 46 7362 June 21, 2016 at 4:38 am
Last Post: robvalue