Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Get your priorities straight!
Wink 
Get your priorities straight!
When I woke up yesterday I my neck felt sore. A I tried to massage it, I felt that it was somewhat swollen at the base, where the neck meets the skull. I instantly thought of lymph nodes, and when I googled to check if I remembered my anatomy correctly, I found out that indeed, there are the occipital lymph nodes.

Along with the charts of the lymph system, Google provided me with articles about a slightly alarming topic; Hodgkin's lymphoma. I read through some and came to the conclusion that even if I did have this type of cancer, it was the one with the best chance of recovery and survival. But the symptoms didn't quite match, so I searched on. Suddenly it hit me, for about two weeks my scalp had been itching a lot more than usual, so I added it to the list and googled once again.

This time I came across something that scared me more than the prospect of having cancer. Many an article stated that an itchy scalp in combination with swollen lymph nodes might be lice, dust mites, ringworm and other nasty things that have no business in my hair. Of course, just thinking about these parasites made my head prickle all the worse and I had to run to the nearest mirror to check if I could see something crawling around in my hair, or if I could find bites of any kind. I did not, but I called my public health nurse asap nevertheless.

She checked my scalp thoroughly and found nothing. My scalp was really dry though, and that's when it hit me. I had been to the hairdresser a couple a weeks ago, when the itching began, so most likely I just had a bad reaction to the the color or something. She told me to give my skin lots of moisture and try a hydrocortisone lotion and come back if it didn't help.

I feel sort of silly now afterwards, though. The possibility of having cancer didn't scare my half as much as the thought of having a parasite of some kind (oh how I hate those suckers!). It's odd how irrational you become when you get frightened. But after this, I think I need to sort out my priorities.. Big Grin

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? Smile
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

RE: Get your priorities straight!
My son brought home lice last year. Somehow, I avoided it, but all the kids had it. With boys it's easy.. just shave them bald, but it took a month to totally rid it from the girls. Glad you don't have that, or cancer.

This is kind of embarrassing, but when I was 18 years old, I had just lost my virginity and had only been with my boyfriend. I got all these horribly painful bumps down there. I thought for sure that my boyfriend had given me genital warts, and I was scared and livid. I went to the doctor, who looked them over and assured me they were not warts, and I had no STD's. She asked me if I had used anything like lube. I told her that I had only used baby oil gel a couple nights before I got the bumps, but I used it all the time everywhere else and had never broken out. Then she chuckled a little and said that baby oil was the worst possible thing a woman could ever use as lube. We learn lessons as we go, I suppose.

I learned from all my gay friends that nothing works as well as crisco...

Oh dear.. It's somehow always scary when something odd happens to your genitalia, for instance, one bad move with the razor whilst shaving and you think you've just mutilated yourself, even though it's just a tiny wound. I can definitely relate, Aleia Big Grin
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Quote:I learned from all my gay friends that nothing works as well as crisco...

I use Crisco to lube the bullets when I fire my Civil War musket. Cheaper by far than commercial products and if you fire 3-4 shots in a short amount of time the whole range starts to smell vaguely like a bakery.
It'd be great if I had the medical book - I'm still looking to buy. Besides, I had couple of similar situations at time, by later time and forth.
Regarding OP:

I have rarely gone and started a worrying process that was unnecessary and unwarranted, but yes, it has happened. The mind is a powerful thing and if you don't take care to keep it in check it can run away with some seriously crazy shit. On the small immediate level: worrying about cancer and ringworm. On the greater scale: irrational paranoia, mob mentalities and justifiable rape and murder ..... all condoned by a mind that is left unchecked and allowed to assume the worst.
Thinking

I'm sure there's many studies on your temporary lice/cancer paranoia.

[Image: Evolution.png]

(December 14, 2011 at 11:33 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I use Crisco to lube the bullets when I fire my Civil War musket. Cheaper by far than commercial products and if you fire 3-4 shots in a short amount of time the whole range starts to smell vaguely like a bakery.

Does that help the tinny taste you get in your mouth at the range? I always chew gum, but still get something of an aftertaste.
No. Black powder or its substitutes smell even worse and it clings to your hair and clothes.
Blech. It's the only thing I ever hated about the range. There is no describing that taste.
Try archery.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A question for the straight men Catholic_Lady 87 12469 January 11, 2023 at 3:44 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  [Serious] How do you get over your past mistakes? [Please Don't judge me] GODZILLA 12 1078 June 3, 2019 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  COKE HERE, GET YOUR COKE HERE.... Brian37 7 936 March 3, 2019 at 8:16 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  From where do you get your information ? notimportant1234 23 3288 January 9, 2018 at 11:22 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Get Your Christmas Videos In Shell B 11 1190 December 19, 2016 at 11:00 am
Last Post: Shell B
  Something I never understood in relation to straight men J a c k 81 8989 July 21, 2016 at 6:29 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla
Rainbow Is it weird that I consider myself straight and I'm so interested in guys? MusicLovingAtheist 40 9714 October 12, 2014 at 11:24 am
Last Post: Losty
  Is it normal to destroy people who get in your way in life? dazzn 118 52554 June 1, 2013 at 10:19 am
Last Post: Tonus