Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 27, 2024, 3:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Christianity?
RE: Why Christianity?
(August 21, 2015 at 10:41 am)Kaninchen Wrote: Judaism, Randy, has never been Christianity minus Jesus - it wasn't 2000 years ago and isn't now.
Interesting...

Judaism has always watched for a coming messiah. Did not Moses state that God would raise up a prophet like him, and those that refused to listen to him would be destroyed?
Quote:Deuteronomy 18
15 The Lord thy God will raise up unto thee a Prophet from the midst of thee, of thy brethren, like unto me; unto him ye shall hearken;
Quote:Deuteronomy 18
18 I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him.
19 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever will not hearken unto my words which he shall speak in my name, I will require it of him.

Quote:Acts 3
20 And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you:
21 Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.
22 For Moses truly said unto the fathers, A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear in all things whatsoever he shall say unto you.
23 And it shall come to pass, that every soul, which will not hear that prophet, shall be destroyed from among the people.

In Judaism, Moses was the greatest prophet, the only other prophet that was greater than Moses, was Jesus Christ.
Moses was a dumb ass and made a lot of type typical remarks. No surprise there.
Huggy74 is quoting the NT(Acts) at a Jew. LOL! Hehe
It is very important not to mistake hemlock for parsley, but to believe or not believe in God is not important at all. - Denis Diderot

We are the United States of Amnesia, we learn nothing because we remember nothing. - Gore Vidal
The Torah specifically states that the savior was to be a warrior. The Jesus of the Christian religion was no such warrior, for he was the equivalent of the modern day pacifist hippy. Therefore, according to Judaism, Jesus Christ was not the son of god.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(August 21, 2015 at 4:13 pm)Huggy74 Wrote:

Quote:In Judaism, Moses was the greatest prophet, the only other prophet that was greater than Moses, was Jesus Christ.

Moses was a god.  It says so in the Bible.  Paul was a greater prophet than Jesus since Paul created Christianity and most of its rituals.  Ezekiel was on a par with Moses since he changed some on Moses' rules.
(August 21, 2015 at 3:25 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote: How's the thread over at CAF going for you, Randy?

... not that it matters, plagiarism is against the rules as it should be. I just find it funny: the people who have replied are too nice to you to say it, but they think your plagiarism is as intellectually dishonest as we do.

Thanks for asking. Not many responses; see for yourself here: http://forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?...ostcount=1

However, the general theme seems to be that despite the good intentions, straight plagiarism is not good; it would be better to find another way to get the person to read the material.

One person wrote:

Quote:Read it, say it in your own words. You post a lot here. You are more than capable of expressing yourself very well! [emphasis added]

Be at peace.
God inspires us through many sources.

Aw, shucks. [Image: blush.gif]

But yeah, I am respected at CAF because, as surprising as this might be to you, rex, I do know what I'm talking about. Hardly a week goes by when I don't get a "thank you" or "Atta boy!" PM from someone there. Just sayin'.

another wrote:

Quote:Put the quoted material in quotation marks in the e-mail so he knows the information comes form somewhere else, but so that he can't see who the word actually come from until he finishes the passage and scrolls down past the view of the passage on the screen. Then, the person will be inspired by the words and realize after he has read it who has spoken them.

May God bless you and grant you inspiration for evangelization!

That's another way of achieving the same thing I wanted to achieve: getting someone to read something that he or she might not be willing to consider objectively otherwise. Getting kids to eat their vegetables is like that.

This one was really direct:

Quote:Do not email the plagiarized passage.

Think of the damage it will do to your yourself and especially to your friend when your friend does a search and finds that you are being a phoney and lying to them.

Yep. I have to go with that. I clearly made a mistake by looking for a quick answer to a cookie-cutter question regarding Jesus and the Copycats.

I regret having gotten lazy, and I apologize to you all. You may rest assured that when I post going forward, I will BURY you with references, links and bibliographical information to back up what I'm saying.

Naturally, I will expect no less in return.

You have my word on it. http://forums.catholic.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif
Yes, I read it. Hence the fact that I linked it in my post.

Why don't you BURY us with your own words? Why is it you can't have a conversation without copying and pasting the majority of your contributions?

Also, your word means absolutely nothing.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
(August 21, 2015 at 4:13 pm)Huggy74 Wrote:
(August 21, 2015 at 10:41 am)Kaninchen Wrote: Judaism, Randy, has never been Christianity minus Jesus - it wasn't 2000 years ago and isn't now.
Interesting...

Judaism has always watched for a coming messiah. Did not Moses state that God would raise up a prophet like him, and those that refused to listen to him would be destroyed?

Now that the Messiah has come...and they killed him...Jews have backpedaled away from the idea that they ever expected a messiah. They either ignore the prophecies or apply them to Israel now. But not to Jesus...no, siree.

I suspect that Kaninchen is a secular Jew. She might celebrate Passover and Hanukkah with her parents (because they want her to), but based on what she DOESN'T say here or at CAF, I think if she ever had any real belief in the G-d of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob long ago, she gave it up long ago.

She's VERY European, after all.
(August 22, 2015 at 2:57 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote: Yes, I read it. Hence the fact that I linked it in my post.

Why don't you BURY us with your own words? Why is it you can't have a conversation without copying and pasting the majority of your contributions?

Also, your word means absolutely nothing.

Because MY words means absolutely nothing.

But the words of genuine experts should.

That's why when a world-class expert like Ehrman tees off on the mental midgets who claim that Jesus never existed (and this forum is lousy with them), it is like a dagger through the heart of those who have built their entire BELIEF system upon sand.

I'm not here to post my opinion; I'm here to provide solid answers, and you can bet that if I post something without saying it is my own opinion, then there is probably some solid reasoning and/or scholarship behind it.
No it's not.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Theist ➤ Why ☠ Atheism is Evil Compared to ✠ Christianity The Joker 177 29970 December 3, 2016 at 11:24 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Orthodox Christianity is Best Christianity! Annoyingbutnicetheist 30 7603 January 26, 2016 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Why Christianity violates the unity of God. Mystic 18 3177 September 11, 2015 at 6:13 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Why is christianity a "Blood Cult" Brakeman 26 9803 April 10, 2015 at 11:37 am
Last Post: Vox Populi
  In Christianity, Does Jesus' Soul Have Anything To Do With Why Jesus Is God? JesusIsGod7 18 7675 October 7, 2014 at 12:58 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Why Ancient Aliens is far more plausible than Christianity FreeTony 30 5318 July 27, 2014 at 11:54 am
Last Post: Dystopia
  Christianity vs Gnostic Christianity themonkeyman 12 8808 December 26, 2013 at 11:00 am
Last Post: pineapplebunnybounce
  Why is Christianity false and Atheism true? savedwheat 362 105235 December 25, 2013 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  Christianity Harms Society. Why I Mock Christians Yahweh 46 11791 December 13, 2013 at 8:37 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  Moderate Christianity - Even More Illogical Than Fundamentalist Christianity? Xavier 22 19062 November 23, 2013 at 11:21 am
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)