Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 2, 2024, 8:27 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your thoughts on Satanism and the petition for a Satanic statue.
RE: Your thoughts on Satanism and the petition for a Satanic statue.
(September 9, 2015 at 6:49 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote:
(September 9, 2015 at 6:43 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: I'm not really bothered with any religious symbol being prominently displayed on public property. You're right, if one is allowed, they should all be allowed. I personally couldn't care less, so long as they didn't effect the laws or freedom of religion.

Two things:
1) You realize you have spent this entire thread saying the exact opposite, right?

QFT.
(September 9, 2015 at 5:27 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(September 9, 2015 at 5:06 pm)Yeauxleaux Wrote: To me, Satanism is a form of self-expression in opposing religion and voicing criticism of the Abrahamic faiths. We're raised to "respect" religion (especially the Abrahamic ones) as something untouchable and unquestionable, so yes it is shocking to see people using the devil as an anti-religious campaign. It's provokes, it gets people talking.

Of course, if you're talking about people seriously believing in the devil, then that is as ridiculous as religion itself. Am I offended by people using Satanic imagery though? No, as an atheist I have no cause to be.

How do you feel about Satanists saying religion doesn't have to be supernatural and shouldn't have a negative connotation to atheists?
Well, Satanism is a great opening for atheists to explore their thoughts and feelings on bestiality. So, ya know 
there's that. Otherwise...

My response as an atheist would be the same as if Christians were saying religion doesn't have to be supernatural and shouldn't have a negative connotation to atheists-I would suggest that they were being deceptively dishonest, misleading people, and completely full of shit.

You ask the most thought-provoking questions, though.

If you don't mind, I have a few suggestions for future questions you can ask of wacky, morally ambiguous atheists. Let's see, you've covered Incest, Bestiality, Satanism and I believe you've touched on Killing/Murder within one of your threads. How about Child Abduction? It would be interesting to find out where atheists stand on that issue. Or maybe Forcible Sodomy At Gunpoint? As an atheist, I'm not sure how I feel about that......right, Wrong?  I mean like, whooooo's to say?

BTW, what do News and Current Events, Politics, and the Religion forums have in common? All would've been better forums to post this thread.
I laughed my ass off when I saw that Baphomet statue.  Good for them.

As to the religion, I ultimately shrug off its extended dogma as easily as any other religion,
but I do admire the value it places on of individuality, critical thought,
and defiance in the face of a despot sort of God.
(September 9, 2015 at 12:01 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: This stuff freaks me out like nothing else, but nonetheless it's kind of intriguing in a morbid sort of way.  Undecided

I saw this story on facebook this morning and was wondering what you guys thought:

http://www.thv11.com/media/cinematic/vid...t-capitol/

I was also wondering what you guys thought of the actual Satanic Temple religion. They're all Atheists who use the symbol of the Demon to represent personal freedoms and their opposition to the idea of God:

http://thesatanictemple.com/faq

I think it's a little funny honestly.  I agree that it's a bit creepy looking, but so is an emaciated man nailed to a tree.

Demon
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
I think the Satanists are actually rather amusing

Would I join their church even knowing they're atheists? No, I honestly can't be bothered with anything like that - including the so-called atheist "church".

But the statue is a good test of the tolerance/intolerance of sections of the community.

When it was unveiled in Milwaukee, there were threats against it.

Those people who threatened it would be the same ones screaming persecution if someone suggested doing it to one of their monuments.

Playing Cluedo with my mum while I was at Uni:

"You did WHAT?  With WHO?  WHERE???"
My eldest cousin on my moms side is a satanist, as well as part of that vampire sub-culture thing. He makes beds inside of coffins (I shit you not).  Makes a pretty good living catering to that crowd.

Anyway, he's a really nice guy, and the satanism is really just a "spoof" of religion.  The entire reason it even exists is to spoof organized religion, and throw stupidity back in the faces of those that promote it.

I think it's briliant, though I don't ever intend to join them.  They are, at their core, an activist group.  Much like the people that insisted on putting up the Festivus pole on state property a few years back.

Anyone want a coffin bed?  The lids work, and are ventilated. 
Angel  
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
(September 9, 2015 at 7:55 pm)Cecelia Wrote:
(September 9, 2015 at 7:30 pm)abaris Wrote: Which is illegal, as far as I'm informed.

It's unconstitutional yes, Article Six Paragraph Three of the US Constitution.  They've never been challenged, and they're usually not upheld though I'm sure they'd be overturned if they were challenged.   Those state constitutions do still have them though.

I had no idea about this. Yeah, that's not right.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(September 9, 2015 at 7:59 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote:
(September 9, 2015 at 6:59 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: 1. You must have misunderstood. If we're talking about simply having a Satan statue somewhere, I don't care. My high school mascot was the blue devils. I didn't exactly throw a fit lol.
I get that. My point was that because of the placement of the 10 Commandments in both of the major cases, the only placement where both monuments will receive equal prominence is when they're near each other. Not right on top of each other, but near each other where it's clear that one is not more prominently displayed.

Ah, I see what you're saying. Hadn't thought about that.

(September 9, 2015 at 7:59 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote:
(September 9, 2015 at 6:59 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: 2. I don't see how/why it would effect anything, quite honestly. The people who are Christian working at the courthouse are going to continue being Christian, and those who aren't, won't. I don't think deep seeded American principles of separation of Church and state would go away because of the 10 commandments monument.

EDIT TO ADD: Remember, I said "I don't care as long as it doesn't effect the laws." So hypothetically speaking, if it did effect the laws, I would see a problem. Otherwise it just seems petty to me.

CL, come on. You are smarter than that. Ted Cruz, Roy Moore, Asa Hutchinson, Mike Huckabee, and a litany of other legislators and governors have shown time and time again that they are willing to impose Christian law on people rather than Constitutional law. They will all tell you that they believe the US was founded on Christianity. These asshats drive by the 10 Commandments every day, and you don't think that reaffirms their idiotic sense of privilege?
[/quote]

Ok. I don't keep up much with politics, but I just doubt that this country will ever not have separation of church and state, even if some people might come along and try to push for it. What particularly "Christian" law do those guys want to impose?
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(September 9, 2015 at 9:18 pm)Beccs Wrote: I think the Satanists are actually rather amusing

Would I join their church even knowing they're atheists?  No, I honestly can't be bothered with anything like that - including the so-called atheist "church".

But the statue is a good test of the tolerance/intolerance of sections of the community.

When it was unveiled in Milwaukee, there were threats against it.

Those people who threatened it would be the same ones screaming persecution if someone suggested doing it to one of their monuments.

Going to church once a week to hear someone talk about something is something I don't have time for.  I'd rather spend my Sunday's in my bedroom.  Especially since I don't get much time off except in the summer.

If they want me to come to some sort of 'church' they need an open bar, and no preaching.  Just sort of a get-together.
(September 9, 2015 at 12:01 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: This stuff freaks me out like nothing else, but nonetheless it's kind of intriguing in a morbid sort of way.  Undecided

I saw this story on facebook this morning and was wondering what you guys thought:

http://www.thv11.com/media/cinematic/vid...t-capitol/

I was also wondering what you guys thought of the actual Satanic Temple religion. They're all Atheists who use the symbol of the Demon to represent personal freedoms and their opposition to the idea of God:

http://thesatanictemple.com/faq

Ok...the first and foremost thing you have to understand about Atheistic Satanists is that (from what I can tell) their primary goal is to ironically troll Christians in an effort to highlight the absurd hypocrisy of the kind of "religious freedom" that actually exists in America when it comes to displaying religious symbols in public spaces. They picked Satan on purpose because it makes Christians uncomfortable. They could have just as easily picked Cthulu. They want you to be freaked out because it might be the only way to get some people to see how others feel when they're constantly bombarded with messages from a human-sacrifice-centered cult.
Verbatim from the mouth of Jesus (retranslated from a retranslation of a copy of a copy):

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you too will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. How can you see your brother's head up his ass when your own vision is darkened by your head being even further up your ass? How can you say to your brother, 'Get your head out of your ass,' when all the time your head is up your own ass? You hypocrite! First take your head out of your own ass, and then you will see clearly who has his head up his ass and who doesn't." Matthew 7:1-5 (also Luke 6: 41-42)

Also, I has a website: www.RedbeardThePink.com

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video Pro-coup Protesters in Venezuela have torn down the statue of the historic Indigenous lemdrill 2 200 August 19, 2024 at 12:32 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Satanism seems fun FrustratedFool 50 4217 August 24, 2023 at 6:37 pm
Last Post: FrustratedFool
  Petition UK Government Xygov 1 681 September 27, 2021 at 6:52 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Your thoughts on John Gray? Silver 12 3480 May 14, 2018 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: brewer
  What are your thoughts on Richard Dawkins? NuclearEnergy 96 15198 December 6, 2017 at 3:06 am
Last Post: Bow Before Zeus
  Atheists, what are your thoughts on us Agnostics? NuclearEnergy 116 30193 November 30, 2017 at 12:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Thoughts On Atheism and Faith ray3400 107 14921 October 12, 2016 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: henryp
  Thoughts Torin 2 1112 August 18, 2016 at 2:38 pm
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Remove Bishops from House of Lords - Petition Mr Greene 19 2375 February 9, 2016 at 10:48 am
Last Post: robvalue
  My thoughts on deepak chopra dyresand 4 1645 October 24, 2015 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: Darkstar