Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 2, 2024, 2:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is America the greatest country
RE: Is America the greatest country
(December 14, 2015 at 12:41 am)Homeless Nutter Wrote:
(December 13, 2015 at 11:10 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Please show me Church doctrine stating that gay people deserve to be in Hell.

1. Do people who commit a mortal sin not deserve hell, if not having repented? If not then once more - why would god allow them to end up there?
http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_P6C.HTM
Quote:1861 Mortal sin is a radical possibility of human freedom, as is love itself. It results in the loss of charity and the privation of sanctifying grace, that is, of the state of grace. If it is not redeemed by repentance and God's forgiveness, it causes exclusion from Christ's kingdom and the eternal death of hell, for our freedom has the power to make choices for ever, with no turning back.

2. Is adultery - sex outside of marriage - not a mortal sin?
http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/ar...s1c1a8.htm
Quote:1857 For a sin to be mortal, three conditions must together be met: "Mortal sin is sin whose object is grave matter and which is also committed with full knowledge and deliberate consent."131

1858 Grave matter is specified by the Ten Commandments, corresponding to the answer of Jesus to the rich young man: "Do not kill, Do not commit adultery[...]

3. Does catholic church permit same sex marriage?
http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/ar...s2c2a6.htm
Quote:Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity,141 tradition has always declared that "homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered."142 They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved.

Therefore:

4. What do YOU think is supposed to happen to all those gay people committing adultery, because they're not allowed to marry? What fate do they deserve? Is it a four-letter word, beginning with "H"?

This shows how little you understand, HN. Furthermore, I already addressed this very thing with Vic earlier on in this same thread.

A sin can be of grave matter, but it's the person's culpability that makes that grave matter a mortal sin or not. There are many many reasons why culpability can be lessened (it's really about what is in the person's heart), and the rule is that we are not to assume someone's culpability leads their action to become a mortal sin. Since we cannot see inside a person's heart, we have no idea what their culpability is, and we shouldn't speculate/judge upon another person's culpability. And if we do, we need to assume the best of them.

And the very thing you posted clearly states that there are three conditions for a sin to be a mortal sin... you conveniently only listed one of them (being of grave matter). The other 2 are all about the person's heart and mind and their level of culpability, which, as I said, is impossible for any of us to know.

So no, nothing in Church teaching says gays deserve to go to Hell, and nothing I have said is contrary to Church doctrine.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
What is a sin and how do you know it exists?
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
(December 10, 2015 at 2:26 pm)FreeTony Wrote: Would Americans really be annoyed if a political candidate said that America isn't the greatest country?

I don't think my country is the best, though it's a pretty good place to live

Sadly, yes.

0/10

I'm just wondering how this turned into an ask a catholic thread Huh
I have no idea. I just got here.

0/10

(December 14, 2015 at 10:31 am)Vic Wrote: I'm just wondering how this turned into an ask a catholic thread Huh

Yeah, me too.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(December 14, 2015 at 10:31 am)Vic Wrote: I'm just wondering how this turned into an ask a catholic thread Huh

What happened was I told someone off for saying they wish gun owners would all get killed, and then started getting questioned about my faith. And then not only questioned, but being told what I believe.  Rolleyes

-walsh
Fun owners?

0/10

(December 14, 2015 at 10:53 am)Losty Wrote: Fun owners?

Didn't specify. The person just said he wishes guns didn't have a safety feature so that people who had them would accidentally shoot and kill themselves. I said something along the lines of this being a horrible thing to say, and got accused of being Catholic lol.

-walsh
(December 14, 2015 at 10:54 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(December 14, 2015 at 10:53 am)Losty Wrote: Fun owners?

Didn't specify. The person just said he wishes guns didn't have a safety feature so that people who had them would accidentally shoot and kill themselves. I said something along the lines of this being a horrible thing to say, and got accused of being Catholic lol.

Do you plead guilty in exchange for a lower penalty?
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An interesting read concerning atheism in america. brewer 11 812 January 3, 2022 at 12:46 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Andrew Zimmern, "What's Eating America".. Brian37 36 4196 February 17, 2020 at 11:32 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Born in the wrong country Alexmahone 3 960 April 20, 2018 at 5:35 pm
Last Post: Enlightened Ape
  Coming to America Cyberman 49 4455 January 13, 2018 at 11:42 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Space Slug / Greatest movie one criteria hostile merger! ignoramus 8 1380 September 14, 2017 at 7:46 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Things You Don't Like About Other Countries ( America Gets Immunity) Amarok 61 9489 April 11, 2017 at 6:58 pm
Last Post: brewer
  What's your favorite thing about the country you live in? Edwardo Piet 48 8598 February 9, 2017 at 12:28 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Why <insert-country-name-here> is a disgrace! Tiberius 29 6279 February 6, 2016 at 11:12 pm
Last Post: Homeless Nutter
  Today I visited the largest ______ in North America... Mudhammam 11 2608 September 27, 2015 at 5:42 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  To everyone: do you pay to visit the beach in your country? rado84 53 9971 July 22, 2015 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie